Hotel Plaza Opera
$412
  • Restaurant
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsairport shuttle bus stopnice modern hotelcomfortable bedmost morningsbreakfast roomroom was a decent sizefront desk staffhard boiled eggsmeat and cheesethe main shopping streetmajor sightsnewer partwould definitely stay here againan ironpastrieswithin walking distanceminute walk
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights in mid May 2013. The hotel location is really excellent with access to the airport being very easy by bus and is ideally located for visiting all the sights of Palermo which are in easy walking distance. The hotel was very clean, including our very comfortable room. The bed was very comfortable and large. Palermo seemed to me to be a very noisy place, but hotel is located on a side street our room was very quiet. The hotel was busy, but I we did not hear noise of other guests. The staff were very friendly and very helpful, most speaking English. Breakfast was perfectly adequate. The only downside was the lack of free wifi. It seemed odd to me that our room rate did not include wifi and we would have to pay for access! But actually the whole of Palermo did not seem like it had yet joined most of the rest of the EU with regard to wgi access. There seemed to be very few places that had wifi. Compared to Spain where you get wifi almost everywhere (and even the UK) this seemed a bit odd. But overall our visit to Palermo and this hotel in particular was very positive. We would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
GiuliaBriguglia, Sales & Marketing Executive at Hotel Plaza Opera, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Dear Guest,
we would like to thank you for your review! We are very happy that you enjoyed your recent stay at Hotel Plaza Opéra and would like to thank you for reviewing all aspects of your stay.
We are glad that you enjoyed the very convenient hotel location, the cleanliness of the property, the quiet, comfortable rooms and the rich breakfast.
We also would like to thank you for expressing your perception on the fact that wifi access is currently fee-paying in our property, and will share your remarks with the Hotel Management.
We look forward to having you again as our guest on the occasion of your next stay in Palermo and in the meanwhile send you our kindest regards.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

The two good things first:
The location is superb: quiet but central and just a few minutes away from bus stops at Politeama (airport bus, sightseeing bus, public busses) and restaurants (see also there).
The reception's staff was very friendly and helpful.

However, quite a few annoying items made our stay somewhat unenjoyable:
The standard double room was very small for 2 persons, the bed may have had a width of approx. 1.20 meters. Unloading 2 suitcases at the same time was not possible. The air was very stuffy and the air condition too noisy. Opening one of the tiny windows did not make too much sense either as the next house wall was very close.
Also, the breakfast was the worst of our entire Sicily trip. Although served from 8 - 11 a.m., at 9.30 the buffet was almost empty at 9:30 already. In general, quantity and quality did not meet the standards of a 4 star hotel from my point of view.

Places to eat nearby:
Ristorante Biondo: good food and atmosphere but overly expensive due to 10% service charge and (!) flat charge ("coperto") of 2€ per person.
Birreria Kovacs: solid food (good pizzas) in a cellar room, well-priced, young public.
Bar Spinato: very nice selection of snack-type food and cakes
Snack bar "I Cuochini", via Ruggiero Settimo 68 (in the back-yard, limited business hours): sicilian snacks in small portions so one can try many, very delicious and well-priced!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Honey7178
GiuliaBriguglia, Sales & Marketing Executive at Hotel Plaza Opera, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your review.
We are happy that you loved the hotel location, just behind Palermo’s main square, with perfect connections to all destinations, and in a neighbourhood filled with a wide array of dining options, among which you highlighted a few.
We are sorry to read that you did not enjoy your accommodation and that you found it too small – all our standard rooms are generally considered quite large, but obviously this was not your personal experience, even if we wish to highlight that the bed is by all means not 1.20, as standard double beds start from 1.60 and the air conditioning is upkept regularly and does not make any atypical noise, and generally considered very quiet. . Maybe we can suggest next time to try a stay in one of our superior category rooms, which will certainly match your expectations. As to the breakfast buffet, which I would like to highlight features top quality sweet and savoury products, it is continuously replenished, but at times of very high occupancy like when you travelled, it may take some minutes to replenish and you may find it missing some items that are being replaced, but certainly not empty.
We hope to have the opportunity to have you again as our guest in the future, and in the meanwhile would like to send you our kindest regards.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

My granddaughter And I stayed at this Hotel for 4 nights from the 15th April
As an "iprefer" member we were upgraded to the Suite, very spacious and comfortable and with a large balcony overlooking part of the city. The beds were a bit harder than we are used to but we slept okay. The shower/bath took up a whole room, and we did have trouble with the shower turning itself off. I'm sure we were doing something wrong.
Breakfast was not the best experience. I tipped over a large jug of orange juice on the sideboard, and that seemed to cause some animosity with the staff. We were almost ignored from then on and had to rely on indifferent service. The food quality and the coffee was very good.
Another complaint I had with the breakfast room is the extremely noise the chairs make on the floor surface, perhaps they could be fitted with some felt tips or something?
Sorry I left the reception desk until last, because they were superb. The females staff went out of their way to help us plan our itinerary and nothing was too much trouble (one girl even followed us up the street to make sure we found the bus ticket office)
I hope to return to Palermo one day and would definitely stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for sharing your opinion on your recent stay at Hotel Plaza Opéra with this review.
We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, including the Suite you were upgraded to, the hotel location, the friendly and knowledgeable attitude of our front desk staff. On the other hand, we are rather sorry about your average breakfast experience that, in spite of the good food and coffee, was marked by a rather unusual indifferent attitude in our staff. Please note that we will share this comment with them in order to improve our service at all times.
We too hope you will be back to Palermo soon and that we will welcome you back to Hotel Plaza Opéra – in the meanwhile, please accept our kindest regards.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

The hotel is excellent, staff very helpful and have no complaints about the hotel. But the area and Palermo are disgustingly dirty. We have never seen such an unkept city, dereliction and huge piles of refuge.don't turn towards the port its full of tramps, lucky lucky men and dog crap etc. Going to the main shopping street is ok but we was so happy to leave the city of palermo...... Thank goodness the restaurant across the street was excellent

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ant_Spain
GiuliaBriguglia, Sales & Marketing Executive at Hotel Plaza Opera, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Dear Guest,
thank you for your review.
We are very happy that you enjoyed the hotel, our staff and everything about your hotel stay - and very sorry to read your impression about Palermo, which was so bad that you gave one point to the hotel location, even if located in the downtown luxury area!
The city did indeed go through, last month, an organizational emergency that lead to a lack of maintance in garbage collection, but the situation has been recovered. We really appreciate your comment and forwarded it to the tourism representatives in the local administration because we love our city and wish our guests to see it as we know it and how it deserves to be: clean, fascinating, colorful, full of life.
We would be extremely happy to have you again as a guest here at Hotel Plaza Opéra, and to let you discover a different Palermo.
Best regards

Reviewed May 3, 2013

My wife and I had a terrible experience at this hotel and the manager, Ivano Ferazzoli, added insult to injury...literally.
The desk clerk was very helpful and our first night was uneventful.
Upon getting out of bed the next morning, my wife struck her head on the corner of the opened steel window which swings into the room very near the side of the bed.
The injury was severe...a 2 inch long and 3/8 inch deep gash which required an ambulance ride to the emergency room and an all day stay with only Sicilian spoken throughout the hospital. No one from the hotel raised a finger to assist us with the medical staff or transportation to the hospital. I was not allowed to ride in the ambulance and had to try to follow in a taxi, at my own expense.
After an MRI and 5 stitches we returned to the hotel many hours later. Once again the desk clerk asked if my wife was alright, but did not offer in any way to assist us.
The next day I took my wife to a private doctor in Palermo to see if an anti tetanus injection was indicated, again at my own expense.
Each day the desk clerks would ask how my wife was and I would answer that she was in pain and we were dealing with the injury as best we could.
Upon checking out of the hotel, I asked to speak with the manager, a man I had not seen nor heard from during my stay at the hotel. I suggested that an accommodation might be in order for the pain and suffering that we endured as a result of the obviously flawed design of the window opening far into the room.
He asked why I had not contacted him prior to my departure. I responded that I was busy tending to my wife and to our spoiled vacation plans..
Mr. Farazzoli was impertinent and arrogant and said that he would reduce my bill by 20% and no more and that I should be grateful, because he had ask his hotel staff about my wife and they had said that she was okay. Not once had he reached out to us. I assume this was because of the difficulty of our perusing litigation in the Italian judicial system.
In our haste to flee from this horrible experience, my wife left some items of jewelry in the opened safe in our hotel room. Fortunately the items were found and Mr. Ferazzoli, in response to my emailed request to have the items mailed to my home in the US, quoted a price of € 67.50. I replied to send the package via Italian Post and to send me a copy of the bill of lading. I have heard nothing from the Hotel Plaza Opera since.
Another doctor in Taormina 5 days later removed the stitches from my wife's head, again at my expense.
Bottom Line: Beware the Plaza Opera. It's not worth the risk.

Room Tip: Try another hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank gumboprod
GiuliaBriguglia, Sales & Marketing Executive at Hotel Plaza Opera, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Dear Guest,
As it often happens in life, there is another side to every story, including the facts related in your unfunded and libelous review.
On the first morning of your stay, your wife allegedly struck her head on the window, which does not in fact open as close as you describe to the bed head, and that has a huge, thick black frame, so that it is extremely improbable not to see it. Having that said, and adding that given that the injury was on the forehead it would not be only a matter of stitches if it had really been as large as you describe, and underlining that in Sicily people, including hospital workers. speak Italian and not Sicilian, we highlight that all of the hotel staff has offered assistance at all stages, including: assisting you with getting immediate medical assistance, requesting every time you passed by the front desk if you and your wife were okay and if you both needed assistance of any sort, and if you would appreciate to meet our Operations Executive, Mr. Ferazzoli. You replied at all stages that you did not wish to meet anyone, that you were alright and that you needed no assistance, leaving us with absolutely no chance of being helpful or learning more than you admitted on what you were experiencing. That is why we were so surprised by your request to meet Mr. Ferazzoli just before check-out, request that was made at that stage, as you replied, “because in the States issues like this must be discussed only before check-out and not before”, to ask him for an accommodation “to avoid legal intendments”. A flabbergasted Mr. Ferazzoli, who was merely shocked by your behavior and certainly neither impertinent nor arrogant in any way, accepted then to grant you exactly what you were looking for, and discount your room rate by 20%, plus giving you for free all extra charges, only because he wished to settle the issue and avoid any further debate, as you were in a marked state of irritation. We underline that he certainly did not wish to leave you with the impression that we felt we had been lacking in any way vis-à-vis in-room safety, which is certainly not the case, or guest assistance.
Having said that, if you are in the possibility to send us medical reports from the hospital, taxi bills and medicine prescriptions and pharmacy bills, we would be forwarding this to our insurance company to formally evaluate the possibility of a compensation.
As to the shipping of your wife’s forgotten belongings and not hearing from us about that, I wish to further clarify that we did quote the exact price of the shipping via a private courier, as we always do for time and safety reasons. When you insinuated that we were profiting on the charge and that you wished us to mail through the Poste Italiane, we did replied that we would do it, and that we would send you a proforma invoice for the service. Unfortunately we have not received a precise quote for the service yet, and as you may understand it would not be reasonable from us to charge you an expense without your consent, given your malicious understanding of all our actions. We will surely be in contact with you soon with the proforma invoice, in the meanwhile please accept our
Kind regards,