“Top Location”

Hotel Plaza Opera
Ranked #28 of 98 Hotels in Palermo
Reviewed May 12, 2013

My granddaughter And I stayed at this Hotel for 4 nights from the 15th April
As an "iprefer" member we were upgraded to the Suite, very spacious and comfortable and with a large balcony overlooking part of the city. The beds were a bit harder than we are used to but we slept okay. The shower/bath took up a whole room, and we did have trouble with the shower turning itself off. I'm sure we were doing something wrong.
Breakfast was not the best experience. I tipped over a large jug of orange juice on the sideboard, and that seemed to cause some animosity with the staff. We were almost ignored from then on and had to rely on indifferent service. The food quality and the coffee was very good.
Another complaint I had with the breakfast room is the extremely noise the chairs make on the floor surface, perhaps they could be fitted with some felt tips or something?
Sorry I left the reception desk until last, because they were superb. The females staff went out of their way to help us plan our itinerary and nothing was too much trouble (one girl even followed us up the street to make sure we found the bus ticket office)
I hope to return to Palermo one day and would definitely stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
GiuliaBriguglia, Sales & Marketing Executive at Hotel Plaza Opera, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for sharing your opinion on your recent stay at Hotel Plaza Opéra with this review.
We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, including the Suite you were upgraded to, the hotel location, the friendly and knowledgeable attitude of our front desk staff. On the other hand, we are rather sorry about your average breakfast experience that, in spite of the good food and coffee, was marked by a rather unusual indifferent attitude in our staff. Please note that we will share this comment with them in order to improve our service at all times.
We too hope you will be back to Palermo soon and that we will welcome you back to Hotel Plaza Opéra – in the meanwhile, please accept our kindest regards.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

The hotel is excellent, staff very helpful and have no complaints about the hotel. But the area and Palermo are disgustingly dirty. We have never seen such an unkept city, dereliction and huge piles of refuge.don't turn towards the port its full of tramps, lucky lucky men and dog crap etc. Going to the main shopping street is ok but we was so happy to leave the city of palermo...... Thank goodness the restaurant across the street was excellent

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ant_Spain
GiuliaBriguglia, Sales & Marketing Executive at Hotel Plaza Opera, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Dear Guest,
thank you for your review.
We are very happy that you enjoyed the hotel, our staff and everything about your hotel stay - and very sorry to read your impression about Palermo, which was so bad that you gave one point to the hotel location, even if located in the downtown luxury area!
The city did indeed go through, last month, an organizational emergency that lead to a lack of maintance in garbage collection, but the situation has been recovered. We really appreciate your comment and forwarded it to the tourism representatives in the local administration because we love our city and wish our guests to see it as we know it and how it deserves to be: clean, fascinating, colorful, full of life.
We would be extremely happy to have you again as a guest here at Hotel Plaza Opéra, and to let you discover a different Palermo.
Best regards

Reviewed May 3, 2013

My wife and I had a terrible experience at this hotel and the manager, Ivano Ferazzoli, added insult to injury...literally.
The desk clerk was very helpful and our first night was uneventful.
Upon getting out of bed the next morning, my wife struck her head on the corner of the opened steel window which swings into the room very near the side of the bed.
The injury was severe...a 2 inch long and 3/8 inch deep gash which required an ambulance ride to the emergency room and an all day stay with only Sicilian spoken throughout the hospital. No one from the hotel raised a finger to assist us with the medical staff or transportation to the hospital. I was not allowed to ride in the ambulance and had to try to follow in a taxi, at my own expense.
After an MRI and 5 stitches we returned to the hotel many hours later. Once again the desk clerk asked if my wife was alright, but did not offer in any way to assist us.
The next day I took my wife to a private doctor in Palermo to see if an anti tetanus injection was indicated, again at my own expense.
Each day the desk clerks would ask how my wife was and I would answer that she was in pain and we were dealing with the injury as best we could.
Upon checking out of the hotel, I asked to speak with the manager, a man I had not seen nor heard from during my stay at the hotel. I suggested that an accommodation might be in order for the pain and suffering that we endured as a result of the obviously flawed design of the window opening far into the room.
He asked why I had not contacted him prior to my departure. I responded that I was busy tending to my wife and to our spoiled vacation plans..
Mr. Farazzoli was impertinent and arrogant and said that he would reduce my bill by 20% and no more and that I should be grateful, because he had ask his hotel staff about my wife and they had said that she was okay. Not once had he reached out to us. I assume this was because of the difficulty of our perusing litigation in the Italian judicial system.
In our haste to flee from this horrible experience, my wife left some items of jewelry in the opened safe in our hotel room. Fortunately the items were found and Mr. Ferazzoli, in response to my emailed request to have the items mailed to my home in the US, quoted a price of € 67.50. I replied to send the package via Italian Post and to send me a copy of the bill of lading. I have heard nothing from the Hotel Plaza Opera since.
Another doctor in Taormina 5 days later removed the stitches from my wife's head, again at my expense.
Bottom Line: Beware the Plaza Opera. It's not worth the risk.

Room Tip: Try another hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank gumboprod
GiuliaBriguglia, Sales & Marketing Executive at Hotel Plaza Opera, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Dear Guest,
As it often happens in life, there is another side to every story, including the facts related in your unfunded and libelous review.
On the first morning of your stay, your wife allegedly struck her head on the window, which does not in fact open as close as you describe to the bed head, and that has a huge, thick black frame, so that it is extremely improbable not to see it. Having that said, and adding that given that the injury was on the forehead it would not be only a matter of stitches if it had really been as large as you describe, and underlining that in Sicily people, including hospital workers. speak Italian and not Sicilian, we highlight that all of the hotel staff has offered assistance at all stages, including: assisting you with getting immediate medical assistance, requesting every time you passed by the front desk if you and your wife were okay and if you both needed assistance of any sort, and if you would appreciate to meet our Operations Executive, Mr. Ferazzoli. You replied at all stages that you did not wish to meet anyone, that you were alright and that you needed no assistance, leaving us with absolutely no chance of being helpful or learning more than you admitted on what you were experiencing. That is why we were so surprised by your request to meet Mr. Ferazzoli just before check-out, request that was made at that stage, as you replied, “because in the States issues like this must be discussed only before check-out and not before”, to ask him for an accommodation “to avoid legal intendments”. A flabbergasted Mr. Ferazzoli, who was merely shocked by your behavior and certainly neither impertinent nor arrogant in any way, accepted then to grant you exactly what you were looking for, and discount your room rate by 20%, plus giving you for free all extra charges, only because he wished to settle the issue and avoid any further debate, as you were in a marked state of irritation. We underline that he certainly did not wish to leave you with the impression that we felt we had been lacking in any way vis-à-vis in-room safety, which is certainly not the case, or guest assistance.
Having said that, if you are in the possibility to send us medical reports from the hospital, taxi bills and medicine prescriptions and pharmacy bills, we would be forwarding this to our insurance company to formally evaluate the possibility of a compensation.
As to the shipping of your wife’s forgotten belongings and not hearing from us about that, I wish to further clarify that we did quote the exact price of the shipping via a private courier, as we always do for time and safety reasons. When you insinuated that we were profiting on the charge and that you wished us to mail through the Poste Italiane, we did replied that we would do it, and that we would send you a proforma invoice for the service. Unfortunately we have not received a precise quote for the service yet, and as you may understand it would not be reasonable from us to charge you an expense without your consent, given your malicious understanding of all our actions. We will surely be in contact with you soon with the proforma invoice, in the meanwhile please accept our
Kind regards,
Giulia Briguglia,

Reviewed April 18, 2013

We stayed for one night. Upon arrival the front desk provided a map and highlighted all the places that I said I would like to visit. They even explained which bus lines could take me to my destinations.
We flew into the Palermo airport and then took a bus to the Politeama square. It was a short walk from there to the hotel.
While in Palermo I recommend the Four Corners crossing as well as the Palazzo Chiaromonte Steri.
The breakfast was great and the cappuccino was hot.
I gave the hotel 3 stars because the room was clean but nothing special like I anticipated. The WiFi was not free and somewhat weak.
I would stay here again, but I would probably look around for a better deal first.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
GiuliaBriguglia, Sales & Marketing Executive at Hotel Plaza Opera, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Dear Guest,
thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at Hotel Plaza Opéra.
We are very happy that you loved the hotel location, the tasty breakfast and above all the helpfulness of our staff - as to your expectations as to the room, we would be very happy if you could contact us by email in order to give us some additional feedback as to why the room did not match your expectations. As a matter of fact, the comfort, the design and the atmosphere of the rooms are one of the aspects of the hotel guests appreciate the most, and it would be very helpful for us to understand if you have any particular remarks that could help us to improve our service even more or if you just were looking for a different type of property, maybe a more traditional one.
We look forward to hearing from you and we hope to have the opportunity to have you again as our guest in the future.
Kind regards

Reviewed April 15, 2013

I certainly recommend this hotel. The room was clean, nice, good bathroom. It was quiet. The breakfast is nice although it's all a matter of timing because it can be hectic at times, but the gentleman who runs it does a nice job. The two women who were at the desk during my stay were quite helpful and friendly with whatever information I wanted. Also, the hotel is well located for the bus from the airport. If you get out at the Teatro Politeama stop, it is only a two to three block walk to the hotel. Although the hotel is not in the historic section of Palermo, one can easily buy an all day ticket and catch a bus nearby on the main road - Via della Liberta -- or it's about a 20 minute walk. I would stay here again.

1  Thank travelerBobDc
GiuliaBriguglia, Sales & Marketing Executive at Hotel Plaza Opera, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Dear Guest,
thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at Hotel Plaza Opéra, we really appreciate you recommending our property!
We are very glad that you enjoyed your room, its cleanliness and comfort, that you appreciated both the breakfast products and service, and that you found our Front Desk staff friendly and helpful. Thank you also for highlighting the very comfortable location of the property, in the middle of the shopping district and on the edge of the historical city centre.
We'll be looking forward to having you as our guest on your next trip to Palermo and in the meanwhile we send you our kindest regards.
Sales and Marketing Executive, Hotel Plaza Opéra

Reviewed April 2, 2013

This is in a great location, just two minutes walk from Politeama in the heart of Palermo and walking distance to all the major attractions. The reception staff were incredibly helpful and the service in the breakfast room was good but I think they need more staff on there, as most of the time there was only one waiter on duty and lots of very demanding hotel residents!
The rooms were very clean but things like the wooden flooring looked a little tired and in need of a refresh. They were the usual European size (not spacious but no smaller than other hotels).
The only complaint I would make was the air con, which blowed out warm air when set to 16c making it impossible to cool down at night.

1  Thank Artdecolou
GiuliaBriguglia, Sales & Marketing Executive at Hotel Plaza Opera, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

Dear Guest,

thank you very much for sharing your review on your recent stay at Hotel Plaza Opéra!
We are extremely grateful for your remarks, they will help us focus on our strenghts, like the wonderful location, the friendly and knowledgeable staff, the delicious breakfast and our elegant and comfortable rooms, and address any necessary action for improvement. We already take the utmost care in providing the best possible service with the approprate number of staff members in relation to the number of guests, but we will surely seize the opportunity to improve our service even more with your remarks.
As to the air conditioning, I have brought the remark to the attentionof our technical department and it was verified that the reason for what happened is that even if the temperature is brought down, you still need to switch the whole unit from hot to cold. We are sorry for the inconvenience you experienced and encourage you to call theFront Desk for assistance on any doubt you may have on the facilities next time.
We really look forward to having you again as our guest and in the meanwhile send you our kindest regards.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

The Hotel Plaza Opera Hotel is conveniently located in a nice section of Palermo filled with shops and restaurants. It is about a 30-minute walk north of the main intersection of old Palermo, Quattro Caniti, between the main streets of Via Maqueda/Via Della Liberta and Via Roma. The staff are friendly and the hotel is very clean. Our room double room was fine though the bed was actually two twin beds on wheels; the bathroom was very nice. There are a few steps at the entrance and the small lobby is on two levels separated by a few steps. There is a little bar off the lobby with a nice lounge, but the bar was only open for a brief time in the early evening. Breakfast offerings were the typical eggs, sliced meats and cheeses, pastries, fruit, and strong coffee.

1  Thank Eclipsegroupie
GiuliaBriguglia, Sales & Marketing Executive at Hotel Plaza Opera, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Dear Guest,
thank you very much for your review.

We have been very happy to learn that you enjoyed your recent stay at Hotel Plaza Opéra, including the politeness of our staff, the cleanliness of the property, the choice and quality at breakfast, and the hotel location, in the middle of the shopping and dining district and a pleasant walk away from the historical city centre.

We will look forward to having you again as our guests on the occasion of your next stay in Palermo and in the meanwhile send you our kindest regards.