“Most amazing marble carvings”
Review of Chiesa del Gesu

and up
Markets and Monuments: Walking Tour in the Center of Palermo
Ranked #4 of 431 things to do in Palermo
Reviewed May 11, 2013

When one enters this church one's jaw drops. It is breath-takingly beautiful. The thousands of carved pieces on every surface is like nothing I have ever seen before. I could have sat there for hours but unfortunately we only had ten minutes before it closed (check opening times). It has to be at least an hour's worth of just taking it all in.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

You just can't miss seeing this work of art. Well kept, well explained with a concise leaflet. Entry was 2 Euro.

1  Thank 742Malvin
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Church of the Gesu, also known as "Casa Professa", is one of the most important Baroque churches in Palermo, Italy. When I walked in (and though I've been travelling almost all over Europe and seen also some other churches in Italy, and even in Palermo), I had to hold my breath! Words fall short to describe a dream made of marble.
Location: Piazza Casa Professa n.21. Opening: working days, 08.00-11.30/17.00-18.30.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

This unique church, started in 1597, represents the height of Baroque art. The grand interior is covered with colorful marble inlays in the floors, columns, and walls. I have not seen any other church decorated like this in my extensive travels.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

During my stay in Palermo I walked by this church numerous times and it wasn't until my last day I entered. To my delight I had walked into a church that rivaled anything I had seen in Europe. With a relative dowdy exterior, the interior is incredible. To believe this has all been restored in the last 50 years since a bomb destroyed the dome and damaged most of the interior. This is a must see for it helps complete your visit to Palermo, Sicily & Italy.