“Best hotel experience in Palermo” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ambasciatori Hotel

Ambasciatori Hotel
Ranked #11 of 101 Hotels in Palermo
københavn
“Best hotel experience in Palermo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Very nice small hotel on Via Roma 200 meter (correct!) from Central Station. Situated at 5th and 6th floor with a roof terrace with a view which make you forget to down to the buzzling streets of Palermo again. The elevantor ride in an antique elevator put you in the right mood before you arrive at reception floor. Our room was very nice and the breakfast at the terrasse also superb. The staff was very helpful and friendly and multilingual. It will be our choice of hotel next time we visit Palermo. If you also compare quality with price - well why choose any other hotel in Palermo

Room Tip: smile when you arrive at the reception - it always help!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank uhuru342

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Milan, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

The location and public areas are very good. The room was ok, clean and modern, however little details like hotel info, phone for reception was lacking. The breakfast was ok. All in all, average. There was a strange smell in the reception area, not sure what it was; it could have been from the wood. All in all, if I had to pick between this hotel and the Mercure we also stayed in, I would choose the Mercure, for quality v cost.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MJandMike
StaffAmbasciatori, Staff at Ambasciatori Hotel, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear guest,
thank you for your review. We use to give general information at check in time, or when we take guest in their rooms, like how to use room facilities or phone numbers to call the reception desk, and we are always ready to give any other kind of information/support.
Anyway, we will pay more attention to this aspect. About the smell you wrote about, probably was fresh paint, as we take advantage of the low season to do some renovation in hotel rooms, common areas or reception. We are sorry we left such a negative memory, we hope you change your mind and come back here to see how we improve our Hotel year after year.
Patras, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Ambasciatori Hotel is just 200m from the central station of Palermo. It’s very clean and has a very beautiful taratza where you can have your breakfast. The only problem is that the wi-fi connection is very slow and you can have a good signal on 5 floors when you are close to the reception.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Gr_Sofia
StaffAmbasciatori, staff at Ambasciatori Hotel, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear guest,
thank you for your comment. We are glad that our terrace has contributed to your pleasant stay here in Palermo. We have wifi signal problems in some areas of the Hotel, but it is due to the very large and dense wall of the building. Our terrace has a dedicated modem to work with internet enjoying the view of the city.
Anyway, we are managing to improve this aspect right now.
Oakland, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Rooms were charming, clean, and comfortable. Breakfast is served on a rooftop terrace, where you can also have drinks and dinner with a glorious view of the city.
The front desk staff are very helpful and ready to provide a city map, directions, and recommendations for meals (though they'd love you to have all your dinners at the hotel).
A great place to stay, and good value.

• Stayed September 2012
5 Thank Mimi32810
Dear guest,
The title of your comment perfectly summarize what is our principal intent. To create an oasis in our beautiful and chaotic city. We created our terrace to give guest relax and improved this giving also the possibility to taste fresh drinks at sunset and flavorful tipical dishes at dinner.
Thank you for your kindness, we all hope to host you again soon
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I am in two minds about this hotel. Let's see what happens if I'm in 'analytical' mode:

PROS: price, position, undeniably lovely roof terrace (I didn't sample the dinner on offer although the menus look imaginative), very friendly and helpful staff

CONS: a small 5/6 floor hotel above a pharmacist on a busy main road; basic facilities - just a small 'waiting room' and the terrace apart from the rooms; the two rooms I stayed in gave me an old-fashioned-but-not-'artisanal' feeling - not very comfortable; the first room was on the same floor as Reception and I was woken at 6 by cleaners banging around.

Let's see what happens if I'm NOT in 'analytical' mode:

Regarding the noise I experienced, the staff changed my room without hesitation, packing my bag and moving it for me.

Within 10 minutes of my arrival I wandered up to the terrace (to see if the website photos of the view really correspond to reality - they do!) and found a Pilates class in session. I couldn't resist imitating some of the positions and found myself invited to join in! Not only that but also invited (I can't speak Italian) to have a slice of birthday cake of the sister of the instructor! What a welcome to Sicily!

So these are my impressions - coloured perhaps by not feeling entirely comfortable in Palermo, in general. I felt on edge walking around the city - a slight hint of violence (I didn't experience any), gloomy streets with poor lighting and neglected pavements, rubbish collection etc, some beautiful buildings but little sign of restoration. But almost all the meals I had were very good, if expensive. I had been to Sicily once before, but in the south - Noto and Avola. I don't think I'd return to Palermo again. I stayed in Trapani and Marsala for a few days - they were much more restful and relaxing.

So, conclusion? As value for money I'd say very good. If you're looking for a different kind of hotel - more space, more facilities (all-day restaurant, swimming pool, gym, games room, etc) and are willing to pay then choose somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
6 Thank cor-player
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

I've brought small groups to Ambasciatori 5 or 6 times since 2004, my last visit being May 2012. My first stay there was perfect, and each stay thereafter has been even more perfect, if that is possible. The owners are approachable and kind, and the staff reflect this as a few of them have been there for years. The rooms are comfortable and well equipped, and even smaller ones offer plenty of space. Some only have windows to the courtyard, so you won't get much direct sunlight - but who wants to hang around in a hotel room in a place like Palermo. But if you don't feel like roaming the streets, there is the wonderful roof top terrace, that provides the best view in Palermo. Really! Breakfast is good, standard fare of fruit, yogurt, cheese, meats, cereals, eggs, juices, a variety of breads and pastries, but the best part are the cakes that change daily. All in all a wonderful place, with the only negative being that it is not accessible.

Room Tip: The hotel is located over a number of floors in the building. The rooms on the lower levels for the...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank photo_gypsy
StaffAmbasciatori, Staff Reception at Ambasciatori Hotel, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Dearest Guest,
thank you for leaving a message for us!
We are very pleasant for your comeback in our Hotel, it means that you feel good with us!
We will wait for your and your groups soon!
Kindest regards
The staff
Southampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Arrived late on bus from airport and needed to be back at bus staion by 7 next morning but hotel easy to find and really close to bus staion , passed it on bus so knew where it was without having to ask. Really friendly, room comfortable with everything needed and ate at fantastic restaurant on terrace. Food wonderful, given complimentary cocktail as i sat down and felt fine as older woman on my own.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank KWBasha
StaffAmbasciatori, Reception staff at Ambasciatori Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear Guest,
we really thank you for your message and for the pictures!
We'll wait for you again!
the staff