“Rooms are good but rooftop terrace is fantastic”
Review of Ambasciatori Hotel

Ambasciatori Hotel
Ranked #9 of 98 Hotels in Palermo
Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

Don't be put off by the entrance. Reception is on the fifth floor. Rooms are nice but the oasis on the top floor terrace in such a central location. Make this place A must stay. The food in the small dining room is excellent and they made a single woman feel welcome. A rarity in Italy.

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank Pagosatravelbumusa
StaffAmbasciatori, Staff Reception at Ambasciatori Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Dear Madam,
thanks a lot for your kind message on tripadvisor.com
We are gald for your nice feeling with us and the Hotel if sometime you'll came back you will be warmly welcomed back !!
we are pleasant that you tried our restaurant on the roof!
See you soon
The reception

There are newer reviews for Ambasciatori Hotel

Reviewed October 15, 2012

There may be some confusion about rooms in the hotel and apartments, which are in a separate building. I rented an apartment, which was excellent. After the weird check-in of going up to the 5th floor to get a key, then back down where a guy walks you out of the building and around the corner to the apartments, you get a key to an outside street door and then another key to your apartment.
My apartment opened into a small foyer, with a kitchen and bath to the right and a large bedroom (with a double bed and a cot, a small sofa, dresser and TV (no English channels), standing closet, and table (also a kitchen table and 4 chairs in the kitchen). The kitchen is fully equipped with cooking utensils, silverware and dishes. It has a sink and refrigerator, and a stove that I couldn't get to work. There's no wifi in the room, but you can go to the rooftop bar after 5 for decent reception--otherwise, you''re out of luck. No safe in the room; good a.c. in the bedroom, nothing in the others.
The room is very quiet, despite being just steps off the Via Roma and centrally located (about 10 min walk to the train station, where you can also catch a bus to the airport). Other than no wifi, it's a great setup for exploring Palermo. In the apartments, you don't deal with the elevator and you have your own kitchen, though they really need to include a microwave.
All in all, a great value for a great location and large quiet room.

Room Tip: Ask for the apartments, not the hotel rooms
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 11, 2012

When you arrive, you have to climb to the 5th floor (or use the tiny elevator) to find the reception. But once you arrive, you are met by friendly and helpful staff. If you are as lucky as us, you get a spacious and comfortable room with facilities such as a working air-con, TV and safe - and a rather tiny shower.

What we loved the most about the hotel, besides the great location, was the lovely roof terrace. We had breakfast at the terrace. In the afternoon, we met for a drink on the terrace before going out (and all the nightlife was within walking distance). And we also saw quite a few who had dinner at the terrace.

If you come by car, there are two spaces just around the corner from the hotel reserved for guests, but you would probably want to leave your car at a serviced garage. There is one in Via Garibaldi a couple of blocks from Via Roma.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Having had a poor experience in the nearby guesthouse of Al Giardino dell'Alloro, we moved to this fabulous hotel. Brilliant location and lovely room, but most of all, they have what must be one of the most incredible terraces in Palermo (available to a tourist anyway) and the staff were most gracious and friendly, always trying very hard to please their guests.The breakfast was generous, tasty and served on the terrace in the morning sun. On the evening of our arrival, we were invited to a complimentary cocktail on the terrace, before a very good meal from a more interesting menu than most others we came across. (Swordfish served with saffron and lime potato fondue)

It is an elegant building, with touches of Palermo's Liberty architectural features throughout, giving it a real sense of character. For 75 a night for a double, this hotel offers outstanding value for money. There is no comparison between this and the mediocre guesthouse with shabby, mean breakfast and cranky staff, which in fact charges MORE money at 80€ per night. They could certainly learn a thing or two from the loveliness of the Ambasciatori Hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank She B
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I loved the Ambasciatori! The location, on busy Via Roma, was perfect. I always felt safe. The hotel is extremely well maintained and clean as a whistle. My room was toward the back, so I didn't hear any street noise, though it was below the breakfast room/terrace, so there was much scraping of chairs and tables (my only slight complaint, as it seemed to be going on all the time, vs. just during breakfast or dinner services). The staff were extremely nice and helpful. The rooftop views are unparalleled. I loved Palermo and will definitely stay at the Ambasciatori when I come back, which I hope will be sooner than later.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank JamFan24
Reviewed October 7, 2012

The Ambascorti hotel is a classic-style place in a great location in Palermo. You enter through a somewhat hard to find entrance, past a “guard” on the first floor, and take the cool-old elevator to the 5th floor reception. The reception staff is friendly, speaks perfect English, and is eager to help. My room was large, with a high ceiling and nice, formal decorations. Outside the eight rooms on my floor, there was a nicely decorated private lobby. In the room there was a medium size flat screen TV (no English channels), big bed consisting of two twins pushed together (somewhere in Europe, other than Western hotels, there must be king-size mattress), and free wireless internet. The bathroom was large, a nice selection of amenities, bidet, and big towels with a towel warmer. The room was clean, and except when the construction was going on, quiet. My room, if not the whole hotel, was non-smoking which is a real plus. There is no in-room coffee service, no bottled water, and breakfast (10 euro, $13) was not included in my rate.
The hotel offered a free reception drink on the roof terrace, and this is a beautiful experience you should not miss.
There were some minor issues. I left early (4AM) for the Easyjet flight, and even though I was told there would be a 24-hour reception, nobody was there to collect the room card. There is a pretty constant push to eat in the hotel restaurant (I had meetings with friends so it was not possible) which is mildly annoying.
As mentioned, the hotel is in the center of all of the travel sites and thus ranks a perfect location. From the central train station it is a five minute walk to the hotel. The airport bus, about one hour, is 6 euro (($8) to/from the central train station. Because I arrived at 6AM on a ferry from Naples (Napoli), the Tabaco stands were not open to sell me a ticket on the 139 bus, so I walked half an hour to the hotel (nice walk).
This is a great walking city with lots to do and see. This is a classic style hotel in a great location. Though the hotel is not the greatest value, it is a clean, quiet, up-scale hotel that you will like and I recommend it.

Room Tip: high floor, back of the building.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank FlyguyAustin
Reviewed October 7, 2012

By far the worst experience I have ever had while traveling. The staff was not concerned that I stated I didn't feel safe, the door to the apartment was in a dimly lit street/ally, littered with broken glass and the key was tricky. The receptionist shared that it was safe, no one else has a key....The apartment was filthy, stained sofa, mildewed shower with rust, the kitchenette had greasy dishes and the fridge had wilted lettuce on the shelf. The front bedroom was SOOO loud at night, earplugs were not enough. I hope those were fire crackers and not gun shots! When I spoke with the young woman at the reception desk in the main hotel, she was very defensive and suggested that we didn't use the front bedroom! When I stated that we had booked at the #2 hotel on Tripadvisor, this was not what we booked or expected, she shared "yes, we are #2" .....I requested that we be moved to the main hotel, I was denied! SOOO disappointed! If you book here, be sure you are in the main hotel!

Room Tip: The view from the roof top in the main hotel is fabulous.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Sharondelv
StaffAmbasciatori, Staff at Ambasciatori Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2012

Dear Madam,
we apologize for your experience!!
We agree with you about the noisy, but unfortunately in the same street where our apartmen are, some month ago many pubs and night clubs were born, infact we decided to leave them becouse they cause too many problems.But in our web page and in all internet page you can find us, it is specified.
About the cleaning , we are a bit surprise becouse it is one of the areas of greatest importance and control and has always done....
The area is frequented by college students who have never caused other problems over the noisy... so we think that the area is safe!
We couldn't change your accomodation in Hotel, becouse we were completely fully booked, the only thing that we could do...was moving you in another Hotel...but we didn't know if for you it was a solution.
We apologize for this experience indeed, but if you want to came back in Palermo, we will be very happy to offer you a night free!
Kindest regards