“Great location” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 101 Hotels in Palermo
Istanbul
“Great location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

My room was of a good size and also the hotel's location is great. But the rooms facing the square are very noisy. Also everything in the hotel is outdated and sometimes doesn't work properly. Generally the mood of the hotel is a little bit depressing since there isn't enough lightening at the premises.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

Stayed here for one night as part of a tour group.
I really didn't get to use or see much of the hotel as I was checked in and out within 14 hours.
However the impression from brief stay was that the hotel lobby and room was a little "retro" but yet still quite clean and comfortable to stay in.
The hotel staff were helpful to me assisting me in organising a taxi and getting me to the local bus depot to catch a bus to Ragusa.
Location was ideal, right across from the main piazza and close to many restaurants and cafes, which was convenient to say the least.
The real complaint I had was with wi-fi, which I was told didn't work work with Andriod devices, which was a pity as both my phone and tablet were Andriod!
Would recommend this hotel without an issue.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Rob G
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

I have a few pros and cons about this hotel. But let's start with the pros. We didn't have a hotel to stay in, it was only one night. They were extremely nice to us and gave us a room. We also had to leave at 6:00 am the following morning to catch our flight so they also booked a taxi to come and pick us up. The location of this hotel is right on Piazza Castelnuovo giving it easy access to the shops and restaurants.

Now onto the cons. The room that we stayed in was mustard with red ascents. The colours were terrible and it was very dark. It's hard to get hot water out of the shower.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank 5starrgirl
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

Stayed here two nights as apart of an Explore package group. Ideal city center location.
Male reception staff not helpful. It costs nothing to smile and make eye contact. We tourists are the reason these managers, supervisors have a job. The more junior female staff member at the reception was more pleasant.
We asked for a double bedroom and ended up in Room 101 which is wheel chair friendly. The problem is that a shower designed for a wheel chair occupant also floods the bathroom floor. Self closing doors between bathroom and also from room hallway to bed area. A constant fight to get past.
Wifi only in foyer area and very slow.
No in room safe.
Useless thin pillows that we asked to be changed.
Centrally controlled temp for air cond so either too hot in the early evening or too cold in the early morning.
Breakfast area does not cope when busy though on our 2nd morning they also opened up another area up on Level 1.

Room Tip: Front rooms face a busy street but double glazing helps cut the noise
Hertfordshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

The hotel was chosen by our tour company.
The reception area & corridors are fairly stylish. Our bedroom however, though roomy, was extremely dated - gold, maroon & beige - & seemed to have been designed by someone who had never read a book in bed - very poor lighting & a shelf as a head board.
Our air conditioning never worked properly so we were miserably hot all the time making sleeping difficult. We complained twice & our tour manager also took up the problem with Reception. They seemed to feel a trickle of cold air meant there wasn't a fault.
Breakfasts were OK.
The hotel is said to be central but most of the places a tourist will want to visit are quite a walk away,

Omagh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

Despite the mixed reviews below we decided to take a chance and book this hotel, paying for a room with a balcony overlooking the piazza. (I emailed the hotel ahead of time to ask for a room on a high floor at the front… mailto: mail@hotelpoliteama.it )

Our first impressions of the foyer were not good….the furniture is very 1970’s which looks out of place in this old building. It’s such a shame…the right furniture would make this foyer really impressive. However, we spent very little time in it so it didn’t really bother us.

The first room we were given was room 801….I thought the room smelt….the balcony was a waste of time….There was a big wall across it, restricting the view, you had to stand up to see anything.

I immediately asked the big guy on Reception if I could see another room….he appeared a little hesitant but did grant my request…..I looked at room 702….although a different layout in the bed & bath rooms it was worth a swap….the view from the balcony was amazing.…overlooked the square which was a hive of activity at all times.

The room had twin beds, a good sized fridge, air conditioning that worked and a small shower…. which although in a small cubicle was powerful enough.

There are a lot of reviews below about the breakfast, but I thought it was ok….there was a good variety of choices and would definitely give you enough to start to start the day off. I don’t know if the fruit was tinned or the juices diluted as I don’t eat fruit and drank water which was ice cold. The tea was lovely, with hot water…we asked for and were given espresso coffee which was just fine….in fact on my last day, the waiter brought the coffee without me asking.

WiFi is hit and miss…..we had to go to the foyer to use this….We needed it to book a hotel for the next part of our trip. We had two I Pads and usually we look together and compare our finds but I was told that I couldn’t have access from two computers at the same time….!!!!
When we first got onto the computer, there was a counter with a price attached, suggesting we were being charges but when I asked I was told (rudely) that this was because this was an old system.

What lets this hotel down, in my opinion is the reception staff and the reason I have given it 4 stars.

The dining room staff are pleasant and work hard….the house keeping staff greet you with a smile but the reception staff are the most sullen I have ever encountered.
The staff don’t wear name badges so I can’t tell you who is who but I can tell you that the big guy was ok and did occasionally smile…the girl was sullen but the worst one without doubt, was the guy with rings on almost every finger, he was so unapproachable, I wonder why on earth he is in the job!!!! I actually witnessed him one day sending three English ladies in the wrong direction for a bus…(I advised them of the correct direction) He was so rude and definitely not the face I’d be putting front of house If I owned a hotel.

The guys on at night were much better and were actually very pleasant.

When all is said and done, the hotel was in a fantastic location:

Room Tip: Turn left out of the hotel and walk for about 2 minutes and you will come to the bus station….you ca...
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

Great location and a good value for the price. The staff is very helpful and the included breakfast is good. The rooms are large for European rooms and are clean with nice towels. Only drawback is the AC does not work very well.

Room Tip: Get a room that does not face the Piazza if you want a cooler quieter room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends