“Friendly staff - good rooms - delivered for the price”
Review of Hotel Tonic

Hotel Tonic
Ranked #22 of 98 Hotels in Palermo
London, United Kingdom
“Friendly staff - good rooms - delivered for the price”
Reviewed September 12, 2009

Within the town centre off the main road away from the noisy streets and just on the border of the core town centre and the posh parts. Very well located including the shopping for the woman. Rooms have an old era feel which is beautiful large with high ceilings and very freindly staff. Breakfast spread is good. For the price - 60 euros in Sept - I would stay again. For the price it delivered very well.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Polish first
Lisboa
Reviewed August 12, 2009

I have order this hotel by internet. When I arrived, the room given was not very good. The worst thing was that I asked an invoice in my name because It was I who has payed and ordered the room but the invoice was already done in the name of my compagnion (a man)!!!! I asked again to change this and the answers of yhe employer (a man) was that men are more important than women in Italia and for that the invoice must be in the name of the man!!!! I supose you have to check who this primitive person is and dismiss him because I will never stay in your hotel again. Susana Duarte Raposo - arrival day 18 July 2009 ans check out day 19 July 2009 (person on service in the morning of 19 July).

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed August 9, 2009

The rooms are average and there is a bit of noise. However, this hotel is good value and in good location near the centre of Palermo.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
Reviewed July 7, 2009

Quite frankly, the place could charge a lot more, if they'd just update their linens. If you're okay with that, this is the perfect place at the price.
Double room was spacious, with beautiful high ceilings and Sicilian tile flooring, a/c, (tiny) flat screen tv, good shower, balcony, and minibar. Breakfast was standard Italian fare: packaged toast, juice, coffee, and tea, plus fresh pastries and bread, and canned fruit and yogurt. (The fruit and yogurt made it better than most of the places we stayed.)
Location was PERFECT, smack between the touristy and run-down old quarters and the glitsy, up-market Politeama area. Five minutes on foot from either, with bus connections both directions.
All in all, we got great value for money, at 65 euro/night. My only tsk-tsk was that they wouldn't let us check-in when we arrived at 6:30am (by ferry), despite the obvious mob of guests checking out, and weren't very interested in helping us leave our luggage either. Also, desk staff varied widely from the rude and unhelpful night guy to a nice and helpful woman, to a superbly knowledgeable and friendly local guy. For instance, there's internet available, but you may have to pay for it by the minute, depending on whom you talk to.
I'd stay there again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Dallas
Reviewed May 22, 2009

We stayed here one night in early May 2009. Location was okay, but could have been closer to some of the sights. Our room was quite large (a quadruple for only two of us) and faced a busy street (though the noise was not bad).

Breakfast was average and staff was friendly.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Silicon Valley
Reviewed October 12, 2008

We liked the location. It's close to many of the major churches and museums in the older part of the city. The room was a good size, with a high ceiling. The street was quiet. Staff helpful. Breakfast good, but nothing exceptional.

• Liked — Location near sights we wanted to see.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cary, NC
Reviewed June 11, 2008

My single room was one of the very worst I’ve ever stayed in, and grossly overpriced at the rack rate of 85 euros. (I was traveling with a tour group, so I don’t know the actual price). The only rooms I’ve had that were worse were in remote parts of Asia and cost a few dollars a night. The room was the size of a cheap single in London, for which you might pay 50 GBP, but this was Palermo, not London! The bed was sized for a short, thin, person.

The bathroom looked like it had been redone recently, and was reasonably clean, although it was impossible to shower without making contact with the shower curtain (and I’m not overweight), and I had to maneuver around the sink to use the toilet. Worse, the water wasn’t clean - if you let it settle a kind of scum formed on top.

The big problems: The only way to get the pitted and grimy bedroom floor tiles clean would be to tear them up and start over. No way I was going to walk on them in bare feet. The drapes also looked grimy, although the sheets appeared clean. The narrow window opened onto the bottom of an air shaft, which was full of scaffolding and big blue tanks. It was impossible to get any airflow at all. Add in cheap furniture and surly front-desk staff and if I hadn’t already paid for the room (through the tour) I’d have checked out.

The man on the front desk in the morning did apologize for the room, and had my taxi waiting, but the man the evening before had been totally dismissive. After I involved the tour leader he did call another hotel, but it was full. After I complained the first time, someone on the tour moved from a double room to a family room, but the clerk did not move me into the empty room - he gave it to someone else.

I saw a couple of other rooms, which looked better, but any hotel willing to rent out a room in this condition should be avoided.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Dirt
  • Stayed May 2008
    • Check in / front desk
4 Thank thursdaysd
gianni76Palermo, Capo Ricevimento at Hotel Tonic, responded to this review, March 8, 2009
in reference to the review of Mr. Cary, with this we are aware that single rooms are small at the Tonic. because we always try to avoid venderLe.Per regarding tents of showers, we have already done so to replace ( 2 floors in 4) with shower cubicle
The scaffold was present for an extraordinary job of maintenance (replacement of a column of discharge), now no longer exists and we can prove it by sending photos.
The tanks, however exist to ensure 24 hours on 24 of the esisenza

We apologize to the guests and invite you to stay again in our hotel, our guest in a double room .
Giovanni Cantelli - Head Reception