“Absolutely incredible!”

Museum of tiles Stanze al Genio
Ranked #6 of 439 things to do in Palermo
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Reservations required!! The museum is open year round for a visit but you must book your visit by email or phone. For reservations just call a few hours before the appointment and agree to the tour. The visits are carried out only in Italian / english.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I agree wholeheartedly with the previous positive reviews. I had an hour, on my own( in English) for a mere 7 Euros. I was in awe the whole time. I learned so much and I have a very new appreciation for the history and craftsmanship that went into such tile floors, etc.
The stories behind these "portions" of historic floors is book worthy.
You are in person's personal apartment looking at a collection that took 33 years to acquire.
I am grateful to have found this place. I HIGHLY recommend you book a visit, by phone or email. It was easy and the response was fast.
Thank you for my best experience yet in Palermo ( and I have been here 3 weeks!).

1  Thank travelizard2013
piomellina, Direttore generale at Museum of tiles Stanze al Genio, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Reviewed October 17, 2013

What a treasure! Don't miss this private collection of 2300 ancient tiles of Neapolitan and Sicilian manufacturers. Claudio, our guide, was so informative about the tiles as well as the other collections in the home. Two of rooms have tiles on the floor that remind you of carpeting. Everything is so beautifully and thoughtfully designed. A must see in Palermo. Remember to make arrangements in advance.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

This delightful little museum is definitely worth seeking out if you like things slightly out of the ordinary. The collection is amazing and the story behind it fascinating. Tours can be booked with their English-speaking guide who is passionate about the collection and very interesting to talk to about it. We emailed on a Sunday evening asking to visit the following day and it was all arranged very promptly and efficiently. This is a project definitely worth supporting.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

We recently visited this museum while on vacation in Sicily. We made the arrangements while still in the US and everything worked out fine. The place was rather easy to find and we rang the intercom and went right in. Our tour was about 60 minutes long and the guide was very knowledgeable about both the owner and the tile collection. I think we saw over 2000 tiles and the place is being enlarged to accomodate almost double that amount. Well worth the time spent to see these wonderful tiles.

1  Thank Doug-6543

Reviewed September 30, 2013

My wife and I along with our tour operator visited the tile museum late on Tuesday September 10. It was easy to find though as other reviews have stated it is in a private apartment so you have to look for the building and the push the intercom. The building is being renovated but the apartment that contains the tiles has been fully renovated and is in excellent condition. The tiles are fabulous. Our guide was superb and you can tell this entire operation is based on love of the beautiful tiles. They are displayed in a very comprehensive manner thoughg it is a little bit overhelming there are so many. I urge you to make the effort to see this unique attraction.