Astoria Palace Hotel
$109
Hotel Bel 3(Palermo)
$66
$64
Casena dei Colli(Palermo)(Great Value!)
$84
$151
$128
Orbitz.com
  • Breakfast included
Eurostars Centrale Palace(Palermo)(Great Value!)
$179
$583
$546
Orbitz.com
1,247 results
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 3, 2012

although the location for this hotel is inconveniently placed for those wishing to spend time in the center it was fine for our trip in which we spent more time up at the football stadium. the hotel seems to be very popular for business meetings/conferences, i don't remember seeing any other foreign travelers although it was late Nov. the rooms were fine and clean although the maids kept knocking at 0930 most mornings even when 'do not disturb' signs were left on the door. we never ate there so cant comment on the food but the bar was not up to much being expensive and small.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Like many other reviewers we were booked in to the Astoria Palace as part of a tour. Our room was much nicer than we expected having read the reviews on Tripadvisor. We arrived a day early and because of some mixup had not been connected up in the hotel's records with our tour group. We were given room 1401 on the top floor and it appeared to have been recently renovated. We had no complaints about the room itself and found it quite comfortable. As part of the tour group we were allocated a room on a different floor commencing the following day but we were able to remain in the original room which was probably lucky having regard to what other reviewers report. Near the lifts on the 14th floor is a lounge area which had a sign "closed to the public" and looked like it was about to be renovated but was unlocked and we were able to go out there and enjoy a beautiful view of the sunset. We were high enough in the building not to be troubled by noise and smells from the market.
We agree with other comments about the tour group dining room. We ate in the hotel restaurant on the ground floor the first night and had a very nice set price menu which was good value. From the following day we were with all the tour groups in the basement. The food was mediocre. Breakfast and dinner started at fixed times which meant huge crowds of people all rushing to the serving tables together. The atmosphere was like a huge cafeteria. Our last morning our tour director said that we would be able to go to the dining room for breakfast 15 minutes early as we were departing from the hotel quite early. We entered the room 15 minutes before the normal start time. Much of the breakfast food had not been put out yet and the staff were angry that we had gone in early and treated us quite rudely.
The location of the hotel is poor. On our first day there, when we were waiting for our tour to commence, we began to walk into town but gave up as it was very hot and such a long walk. We got as far as the English Gardens which were pleasant enough but not worth the effort. In retrospect we should have paid for a taxi to take us in to the city centre. The area in which the hotel is located is dirty and uninteresting. There was, however, a very good supermarket across the road which we visited to purchase food and drinks.
As we had a reasonable room our overall experience of the hotel was not too bad and being on a tour meant that the location was not such an issue. However, we would much have preferred to stay elsewhere had we been given a choice.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Happytraveller53_8
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Our group stayed here as part of a Trafalgar trip. Our first impression of the hotel was upon exiting the elevator - the carpet was absolutely filthy. When we finally managed to get our door open, we entered a stifling hot room. The air conditioning did not work - the fan sounded like a jet plane was taking off in our room until it ceased to run at all. The view from our window was that of a parking lot - made only better by the sight of a dog killing a cat in front of our very eyes (this is the honest to God truth). The next morning we changed rooms - in the new room the A/C worked minimally; however, the phone was not functional nor did we have any water coming out of the hot water tap in the bathroom. Most of the 22 people in our group had to change rooms but didn't find conditions any better when they moved. When we inquired about the pool advertised on the Internet, we were told the pool had been closed for years. Like the other reviewers mention, this hotel is in a terrible neighborhood and next to the vegetable market that smells like a land fill. Don't get me started on the prison nearby. Trafalgar should be ashamed putting their clients in this hotel.

Room Tip: Just don't go there.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 15, 2012

The glossy rooms in the professional photos of this hotel are a long way from my personal experience. I stayed here with Voyages Jules Verne from 9-10 September 2012 and can only imagine that our dreadful experience can be chalked up to being part of a large group and thus being relegated to second-class guest status. I always try to think of pros and cons for a hotel, but in this case the only pros I can think of are that the fruit and vegetable market mentioned by other reviewers didn't disturb me one bit; and that the staff were polite to me when I had to get my electronic key reset. As you can guess, this doesn't bode well for the rest. So here are the cons.

1. Location. We were travelling by coach; and even by coach this is a long way out of the centre of Palermo. Although the immediate surroundings of the hotel weren't actively threatening, I certainly wouldn't advise walking to and from the hotel into the city centre, especially at night. One of the landmarks en route from this hotel to the centre was one of Palermo's prisons, which was admittedly housed in a fine Bourbon structure, but isn't necessarily the kind of local sightseeing you want to do.

2. Our rooms were all together on the second floor, along one stretch of corridor where the carpet was very badly water-stained. The reason for this became apparent when three couples in the group found leaks in their rooms, one of which was so bad that the couple concerned had to vacate the room (they said their replacement room, on another floor, was superior in every way). I had my own minor leak, in the form of the corner of the bathtub, which wasn't properly sealed and so water spread across the bathroom floor after every shower.

3. Presumably if you're an independent traveller you eat in the hotel's main restaurant (two of our party decided to do this, clever ladies). We, on the other hand, were told to eat in the Oleander dining room in the basement, which I can safely say is the worst dining experience I have ever had in a hotel. We had to sit on designated communal tables, which by this stage I expected - but what I hadn't expected was that dinner, as well as breakfast, was a buffet. The doors opened at 8pm and three different tour groups flooded in. Huge queues immediately formed and, considering you had to queue up separately for antipasti, main course and drinks, you could easily spend a large part of your dinner-time waiting in line. We actually didn't even discover the antipasti table until it was too late on the first night, by which time it had all been cleared away. It was very much a first-come, first-served experience, but a pan-European jostle of elbows is the kind of experience I can do without. To make matters worse, the food was merely ordinary. Breakfast was the same stampede for the buffet, but at least you expect that with breakfast. The ghastly dinner-time crush was without doubt the worst aspect of the hotel.

4. Apart from the prevalence of water leaks, the rooms were old-fashioned and shabby, with scuffed paintwork both inside the rooms and in the corridors. There isn't much of a view from any of the rooms - I had a splendid vista of the car park, although at least I could see the mountains beyond.

This appears to be a conference hotel (it has that special associated air of soullessness), so perhaps you'll get a better idea of its functionality from someone who's travelled there for business and has been blessed with better rooms. But the Astoria need to pull their socks up and stop treating tour-groups like second-rate citizens, because frankly our experience was pretty dreadful. Based on my experience, I could not in all conscience recommend this hotel - indeed, I would strongly recommend that you avoid it - and I do hope that some of my fellow travellers will take the time to submit their own reviews, because I think my sentiments were fairly universal among our group.

Room Tip: If you're travelling with a tour company and they plan to stop over here, do your utmost to change their minds. And, whether you're travelling in a group or individually, if you're offered a room on the 2nd floor, run for the hills.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank The_Idle_Woman
Reviewed July 19, 2012

there is very little good news to report on this hotel. first of all the location.
it's just horrible.

Palermo is, generally speaking, a dirty city, but here we get to a whole new level: depressed neighborhood and very dirty streets, the hotel is next to a fruit and vegetable general market that opens around 4,30 am (noisy) and closes by 10 am leaving the whole area full of garbage. Next to that, there is the maximum security prison of Ucciardone that isn't exactly in my personal top ten of romantic places.

The hotel itself is so run down that it would be too long just to list the various issues. The pictures posted by other reviewer are very eloquent.

Quite frankly, I don't see any reason for choosing this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business