“Grand Hotel, not so grand room”

Grand Hotel Villa Igiea - MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #2 of 98 Hotels in Palermo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Grand Hotel, not so grand room”
Reviewed December 24, 2013

A beautiful and elegant hotel with impeccable service, overlooking the bay with gorgeous gardens and a lovely pool- who could ask for anything more? Me. The room was dreary, stains on the ceiling, lamps that were bent, and with only one window on the street where traffic seemed to be heading directly into our bed. It did quiet down after 2:00 AM. Breakfast was sumptuous- I have never seen such a rich and delicious display, but the food at the restaurant for lunch and dinner was decidedly mediocre. Well, I guess you can't have everything. I'd go back but only if I could upgrade the room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the water on an upper floor.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

VitoGiglio, Direttore at Grand Hotel Villa Igiea - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear guest
First of all I thank you for your comments on trip advisor and for choosing the grand Hotel Villa Igiea.
I really appreciated your words on the style and atmosphere of the villa. in spite of this I am very sorry for the problem with your room that has caused you discomfort during your stay.
In this period of low occupancy we are doing renovation work.
I hope to have you as a guest soon again and give you my personal welcome.
When you decide to return to Palermo please let me know because I would like to take care of your stay.
best regards

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Valletta, Malta
Reviewed December 23, 2013

We often travel by car through Palermo and invariably stay at the Villa Igiea. It is an old patrician palace converted to a modern hotel with an idyllic terrace restaurant overlooking the large garden, a yacht marina and the open sea and the mountains across the bay. Recently refurbished rooms are excellent, as is food in the restaurant and overall service. There is a lot to see in busy Palermo and we love to return to a super dinner in the lovely restaurant after a day's shopping and sightseeing.

Room Tip: Try to get a Sea-view room in main building
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for having reviewed the Grand Hotel Villa Igiea.
I really appreciated your words on the style and atmosphere of the villa.
We are very proud of the work we are doing and to be part of this wonderful hotel.
I and my staff we thank you and we look forward to welcoming you to Palermo soon.

Reviewed December 23, 2013

Hotel with old world charm befitting royalty. The hotel is beautifully situated on the coast to the west of the harbour. The outoor restaurant is as good as it gets, overlooking the pleasure boat harbour.
Rooms are nice and spacious though a little bit worn, but with a feeling of "good old days".
Palermo is not the most exciting city in Italy, but should we come back we would definitely stay at Villa Igiea again.

Room Tip: Make sure to face the sea or garden
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,
I thank you for having reviewed the grand hotel villa igiea.
I really appreciated your words on the style and atmosphere of the villa.
We were very proud of the work we are doing and to be part of this wonderful hotel.
I am sorry that you have not enjoyed Palermo and its many historical and cultural sites.
I hope you can return to Sicily. Our guest relations and concierge would be happy to make you discover the beauties of Palermo .
I would be honored to give you my personal welcome back in Sicily and take care of your stay at Grand Hotel Villa Igiea.

Houston
Reviewed December 23, 2013

The Hotel Igieia is a touch of grandness from centuries of yore. One can harken back to the times of the turn of the last century to the early 1900's and have a sense of what it was like to be a pampered guest in this fine hotel. The staff was forever solicitous and friendly. Breakfast buffet was first rate and special requests were tended to be cheerfulness. The grounds are beautiful and the facilities are first class. We had a very comfortable room.
While a bit off the beaten path from Centro Storico, the shuttles ease the burden and taxis are always available. I suggest you make sure what the fare is expected to be before you get in as sometimes the rates can be quite, shall we say, variable.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,
I thank you for having reviewed the Grand Hotel Villa Igiea.
I really appreciated your words on the style and atmosphere of the villa.I am glad to know that you have enjoyed your time with us.
I and my staff we thank you again, and we look forward to welcoming you to Palermo.
Roende, Denmark
Reviewed December 23, 2013

We stayed for two nights in this great hotel.... and everything was perfect.
Our room was towards the hill int this is not optimal - but everything else was optimal in this charming hotel with a very good location.
The breakfast was fantastic - and the staff very kind and helpfull.
We also loved the garden and the pool area.
So if we go back to Palermo, we definately will stay in Villa Igiea agaín.
Knud Riis Johansen

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

1 Thank Knud Riis J
Thank you for having reviewed the Grand Hotel Villa Igiea.
When, this morning, I read your comments to my entire team, we were very proud of the work we are doing and to be part of this wonderful hotel.
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed December 10, 2013

A splendid hotel with beautiful view overlooking the harbor, probably one of the nicest hotel in Palermo. However, be careful and read the conditions when you register your device with Wi-Fi, otherwise, it is possible that you will be charged 9€/per day for each device you connect to Wi-Fi in the room. I don't understand why they don't provide free wifi access in such a high standard hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

VitoGiglio, Direttore at Grand Hotel Villa Igiea - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Dear Guest,
I thank you for having reviewed the Grand hotel Villa Igiea.
Your review enables us to improve our services .
I and my staff we thank you and we look forward to welcoming you to Palermo again.

Hertfordshire
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I had booked this hotel a long time ago, before travelling I looked at reviews, on reading reviews I very nearly cancelled the booking. There were four of travelling together and I had not mentioned the reviews I had read. So on arrival I felt quite anxious, some of the reviews gave the impression that the staff were rude and unfriendly, I think they must have been at a different hotel. Every member of staff that we spoke to over the 4 days we were there were friendly and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble for them. The hotel itself is just lovely. The restaurant was great and served some really good food. The hotel is in such a lovely location and it is quite nice that it is away from the town. I would definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Adelaide23
Thank you for having reviewed the Grand Hotel Villa Igiea.
When I read your comments to my entire team, we were very proud of the work we are doing and to be part of this wonderful hotel.

Hotel Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palermo
Tribunali
Hotel Bel 3
#20 of 98 in Palermo
Atahotel Capotaormina
#13 of 87 in Taormina

Been to Grand Hotel Villa Igiea - MGallery by Sofitel? Share your experiences!