Tripadvisor
Palermo
All reviews ballaro market nice hotel poster bed boutique hotel never felt unsafe two floors small square narrow streets our room was spacious late at night spent nights here old city reception staff stayed here for one night on foot an oasis historic district
Selected filters
Reviewed January 3, 2020

We stayed here twice in the same week, visiting the island of Ustica in between. So, having seen two different rooms, it's safe to say you've got to be somewhat lucky on that front.

The rooftop rooms are spacious, and truly quite nice bar the fact that they have nearly no window / sunlight of any kind. Very depressing after a while (oh, and you can forget reliable WiFi in this place). On top of that, it was a crying shame that the airco decided to spew out a pile of crap all over our bed when we turned it on. Cause it was late at night, no one was available to clean things up. We then asked for a vacuum cleaner and we'd do it ourselves, but the person on duty had no access to one, so instead of going to bed, we spent 20 minutes cleaning our own bedding, the floor around the bed, etc from a pile of nasty black moldy dust that probably come out of some airco pipe. It went everywhere, and it was absolutely revolting.

The next room we had (we prebooked both visits so no way to cancel anymore...) was smaller, but we didn't feel so trapped and at least it was clean, without mishaps.

Outside of the hotel, the neighbourhood isn't anything to write home about. In fact, it feels borderline unsafe. Then again, so does perhaps much of the rest of Palermo. It's not that much of a walk to anything though so for the price, probably ok?

Shame we had the above happen, cause had one of the best spaghetti dishes ever in their restaurant. Supremely tasteful and simple, with fresh ingredients.

Room tip: Only choose a rooftop room if you're a vampire.
Date of stay: September 2019
1  Thank WoDi80
Reviewed December 17, 2019

I had a very pleasant stay at this hotel and would choose this hotel again when staying in Palermo. Hotel restaurant is highly recommended as well. Very quiet surroundings but nonetheless very centrally located.

Date of stay: December 2019
Reviewed December 4, 2019

I had two separate 5 day stays at the hotel and thought the rooms, service and restaurant were great. The setting was a little unsettling for me, as there were a number of people hanging around on the old church steps nearby. The hotel reassured me (an older female traveling with a female friend on the first stay) that these were mostly students, so yes, they drank, listened to music, sometimes argued loudly at 2 am, but they were all known to the hotel employees and essentially harmless.
If you are interested in food, arrange a market visit and cooking lesson with Carlo, the restaurant chef. He was born and raised in Ballaro, and seems to be related to half the market. I really enjoyed walking through the market with him (and our translator) as even in winter I learned about local products. Then we went back to the restaurant and I 'helped' cook our lunch.
The hotel service was very good; I left my luggage with them between visits and my return was unexpectedly a day earlier due to another hotel letting us down. They not only were able to accommodate my friend and I with rooms booked on the phone at the very last minute, when I arrived my stored luggage was already in my room!

Date of stay: November 2019
1  Thank Susan W
Reviewed November 20, 2019

Renovated palazzo. Very clean. Excellent breakfast. Good restaurant. All common parts decorated with good taste. Rooms large but impersonal. The problem is the surroundings of the hotel: good location on the map but in fact there are people drinking and shouting all night on the small square in front of the palazzo (choose a room facing the inside courtyard) and surrounding streets are very dirty and not pleasant

Room tip: Superior room
Date of stay: November 2019
Reviewed October 28, 2019

The property itself is beautiful and looks like a renovated old family estate house. The quality of the rooms is fine and the service was above average. The only downside of the hotel is the location is somewhat unsafe at night. It is the nicest hotel in downtown Palermo and conveniently within walking distance to the major tourist attractions. However, I removed all jewelry while staying at this property and would not walk around at night by myself.

Date of stay: August 2019