“Ok food, good service, if you are not in a hurry.”
Review of Carlo V

Carlo V
Ranked #202 of 1,756 Restaurants in Palermo
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Palazzo Reale
Description: This is a restaurant with an American bar. Seating inside and also a terrace on lovely Piazza Bologni near the Cathedral of Palermo and near Hotel Central Palace
Chester
“Ok food, good service, if you are not in a hurry.”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Your reviews depend on your expectancy.
We did not expect too much, but it was better than we expected.
We found the staff efficient and friendly. At the old town centre there did not appear to be too much to choose from, and it was a short walk from our hotel.
Nice setting in the square, in the open. Good atmosphere.
Not fine dining, but the food served was fine and at a reasonable cost. If you are in a rush, then this is not for you. If you want to enjoy a chat, and a people watch, and enjoy reasonable food and drink, at a reasonable price, then this is for you.

• Visited September 2013

• Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Vienna, Austria
“Lousy experience, atrocious service”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

My Carlo V dining experience was one of the worst during my 10-day stay in Italy. After a 1 hour (!) wait, we still had not received the food we had ordered. When I motioned one of the waiters to come to ask what was hap=pening, we were told in a haughty tone that the food was coming soon, that there was "a problem in the kitchen". No one had bothered to tell us on their own initiative during this 1 hour wait, and when I bemoaned that fact, I again got an arrogant answer, and nothing resembling an apology.

The quality of the food also left a lot to desire - I had ordered grilled prawns in orange sauce, one of the pricier items on the menu. The prawns were not sufficiently warm, and tasted bland. When the waiter placed the plate in front of me, he tilted the plate so much that the orange sauce almost spilled on me - when I called out and caught the plate just in time, I got no excuse from the waiter, rather another arrogant reaction, along the lines why am I getting so worked up about nothing. My party had ordered spaghetti carbonara, which tasted OK, but were a rather small portion.

In the end, to round things off, the credit card machine did not work. Again, the word "scusi" or "sorry" does not seem to form part of that restaurant's staff's vocabulary.

All in all, if there had not been a group of (apparent) locals, I would say this is a tourist restaurant based on the idea that clients come only once, so there is no need to provide good service and good food. The nicest thing I can say about this outfit is that the prices are not too bad. But all in all, best to avoid.

• Visited September 2013
London
“terrible service, average food”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We stopped off for a spot of lunch here on a recent visit to Palermo. The restaurant was busy so no seats outside which wasn't a problem as we were all hot after a long walk around the city so were pleased to get a seat inside. The menu has the usual Italian favourites. We ordered a carbonara, pesto, a charcuterie board and melon and parma ham and a few drinks. We then proceeded to wait for about an hour to get our food. We spoke with the manager and he pretty much ignored us.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Quadrature
Perth, Australia
“Nice Setting - Terrible Service”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We were in Palermo for a week and Carlo V was just down the road from our apartment. We had dinner here 3 times and enjoyed the al fresco setting overlooking the piazza.

The menu is quite good and the prices aren't too bad. The house wine (both red and white) is fine. But the service is terrible. It appeared to us that only one staff member was allowed to take orders as we asked to order and one of the staff said we had to wait for her colleague. It seemed to us that English speaking non-locals got the cold shoulder. On one occasion the staff were more interested in posing for photographs than in providing service. That particular night we didn't order dessert or coffee because we were waiting so long for someone to take our order.

We ate at Carlo V on our last night in Palermo. For mains I had fillet steak with green pepper sauce. I really enjoyed it (a change from typical Sicilian food I'd been eating for 2 weeks) but then the next day I was really sick with what I suspect was food poisoning.

• Visited May 2013
Brussels, Belgium
“Excellent restaurant on the piazza”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

The restaurant offers a nice terrace on the piazza Bologni and serves excellent dishes. We started with a glass of prosecco, had a papardelle funghi porcini and spaghetti alla vongole as starter: just excellent! We took fish as main course: the suggestion of the day appeared to be a bit special, but was very tasteful. I saw splendid seafood dishes being served at the other tables. We were expecting a higher bill than elsewhere on Sicily, but were nicely surprised to get a bill of (only) €57. We had an excellent dinner and would certainly recommend it.

Visited June 2013