“Average hotel ....but room I had booked was not what I got!”

Eurostars Centrale Palace
Ranked #16 of 101 Hotels in Palermo
Dublin, Ireland
“Average hotel ....but room I had booked was not what I got!”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

After reading some positive reviews of this hotel I decided it ticked all the boxes for me. I had arrangted to meet friends in Palmermo so a single room is what I was looking for. On checking options on this hotel's website I noted a double room for single occupancy was offered. I passed up on other superior hotels based on the offer of a double bed for single occupancy which I had clearly ticked on my expedia reservation. Understandably I was very annoyed and was also annoyed by the attitiude of the staff who as much as told me ' tough luck buddy' I tried not to let it spoil my otherwise excellent holiday in Palermo. Staff in general not very nice at this hotel.

Room Tip: I got a room at the front of hotel ( despite looking also for a quiet room at the back) however than...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank kildare2002

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I spent three nights in a junior suite, which at the rates offered, is affordable. The hotel is a grand dame of the past, it's beautiful, but could be updated. The staff was exceptional, in particular Mauricio, who gave me a tour of the facilities, which probably should have been done at reception, but wasn't. The roof terrace restaurant is exceptional, one of the best views in all of Palermo, and the food is excellent! My only complaint is the lack of Wifi throughout; it's currently only available in the lobby, but very spotty.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
toulouse
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We stayed at this hotel on our last night before flying back to France, after a twelve-day trip round Sicily. It was the worst night spent in a hotel ever! First, they gave us a small room which looked OK: the deco was dated but all I cared about was that it was clean and it had a shower. Except, it wasn't clean: there was mold in the shower ( I am not the best housekeeper in the world by far but that much mold is not acceptable even to my standards!) , the air-conditioning was extremely noisy but not doing its job, the curtains were a doggy colour, as if they had never been washed, there were stains on the lampshades:I could carry on with this list but worst of all was ..... the smell! It was like being in an old dungeon; the room was obviously never vented.
My husband went to complain and the concierge came to spray some kind of industrial deodorant, which made the smell completely unbearable. We waited in the lobby ( the only place where you could get internet without paying by the way and apparently, fresh air), then returned to our room and decided that there was no way we were going to spend the night there. We took our bags to the front desk,asking to change the room. They gave us a bigger room for the same price and my husband went to check it with the concierge before taking the key.However, my husband didn't think about checking the bathroom and as soon as I opened the door, I was greeted with the lovely smell of sewage! On top of that , the air-conditioning wasn't working. Fast forward few hours: it's three o'clock in the morning, I can't stand the heat in the room no longer ( and I am from Morocco, so I can usually take quite a bit of heat!), nor the smell and go down to sit in the lobby. In a desperate attempt, my husband puts the air-conditioning on its hottest setting and it works!
What a disappointing last night in Palermo! The only positive points would be the good service and the location. They really need to throw some money in to turn this hotel into the palace it pretends to be. Until then, don't bother!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank blibloubla
Melbourne Victoria
Reviewed August 9, 2013

In early July 2013 we went on a bus trip with our two sons and one son's girlfriend. We used Back Roads Tours who were fantastic. The bus trip was really worthwhile. There was a big age difference but we all got on very well. Our first hotel was Centrale Palace Hotel in Palermo. It was very central and clean. Breakfast room and the breakfast was fantastic. The staff on the desk weren't that friendly they were ok. Palermo is a busy city with lots of contrasts. We did a great walking tour with a local guide we visited one of the famous churches. Then we were taken up to Monreale which was very different to downtown Palermo. It was a lovely village on top of the city. Palermo is a good place to start your visit to Sicily as everything changes as you travel around Sicily.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Eddie59
Guildford
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We booked this hotel for the final two nights of a 2 week tour of Sicily, keeping the 'best' for the end. Although the location for the centre of Palermo is great, some rooms are not quite as nice as others. We had 2 rooms on the 4th floor, very convenient for the roof terrace bar, one overlooking the 'courtyard' which was basically shutters, and the second overlooking the street which was very noisy. However, the bathrooms were very cramped and dated, the air con didn't work and the passageways were very noisy so not brilliant for a good nights rest. We asked the hotel reception to try to fix the aircon, which they said they had, but it was not working; the heat was unbearable and the following morning we asked to change rooms. The man on reception was very helpful and we were moved to the 3rd floor and had two bedrooms with updated bathrooms, aircon that worked, and a view of a side wall. The new bedrooms were more comfortable, but the hassle of having to move broke the ambiance of the stay. However, trying to enjoy the final couple of days in Sicily, we had two visits to the terrace bar (expensive but worth the convenience, roof top views, ice cold wine, nice nibbles and friendly service from a female waitress), and decided to book the breakfast (surly service, sparkling wine which ran out, hot dogs, single rasher of bacon, nice decor with lots of chandeliers, machine coffee, 48 Euros for 4 of us) and we used the parking facilities (30 Euros for 2 days). All in all, I would recommend for location, but the restaurant and breakfast service was poor. The reception service was efficient and eventually sorted us into 2 rooms which we were very grateful for, but the overall impression was that we'd book elsewhere next time, cost was high, and that there was little magic to the stay. The lobby is a cool haven from the street and serves water in jugs by the reception with some apples (bit soft and woody, but a nice touch).

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room and check that the air con actually works. The front rooms are noisy and...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank VirginiaGuildford
Ny
Reviewed July 31, 2013

To come in off the busy street and be greeted by such surroundings is very nice. It was a palace and still has some luxury touches. The sitting room where we gathered, and used wi-fi was very comfortable. Our room was large and faced an inside courtyard...very quite. Some rooms on the street were however unpleasantly noisy. As with many European hotels practically every room is different.
The breakfast, always important to us, was very good....with a ricotta caked unmatched in our 2 weeks in Sicily. There was also Prosecco for breakfast, a nice touch.
The rooftop was nice and there were several places to eat nearby.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Hi,

Like any of us trying to book a hotel not far from the centre of the city, from the buss/rail station, a descent breakfast and of course affordable. This hotel has all and more. When I checked the facilities of the hotel I did not realize how huge, spacious, wonderful colors, ceramic and much more the wonderful terrace on the top with a view of the city, air fresh, good service and a place you feel you are important. I advise this hotel for any one. The pictures will show more than my words. Thank you

Room Tip: My room was 'single room' but the bed was bigger than the double one. The bathroom was immen...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo