“Excellent Value for Money”
Review of B&B White

B&B White
Ranked #46 of 465 Palermo B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
London, England, United Kingdom
“Excellent Value for Money”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

If you are looking for a convenient no frills B & B in the heart of Palermo then this is the place for you. Only a stone's throw from the railway station (for easy transportation to the airport or Trapani / Messina) B & B White offers good sized, and very clean, rooms in a characterful old apartment building. Our room was en-suite and tastefully furnished with all the mod cons (safe, tv, air con). While this may not be a 4 star hotel, if you are travelling on a budget then B & B Whites offers excellent value for money. The only disappointment was the rather poor offerings for breakfast, but if you are happy to forgo the convenience of a 24 hour reception/concierge and a good breakfast then I heartily recommend it...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Very convenient localization for persons who want to take trips from Palermo to other places (minutes from the train and bus station). Beautiful appartment, clean and with spacious rooms, certainly with the atmosphere (frescos on the ceilings!). Helpful and nice personnel. Friendly neighbors of multicultural origin. And apparently most famous icecream shop just around the corner!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 12, 2012

My wife and I have just spent three nights at this bed & breakfast, it's in a good location ( main city within walking distance) the twin room we had was spacious and very clean. Nice bathroom too! The staff were extremely helpful and friendly. There is free internet access which was useful. This is our little hidden gem and hope you will enjoy it as much as us. I recommender this bed & breakfast.

• Stayed June 2012
London
Reviewed June 7, 2012

I'm dissappointed to say I have had a similar experience to recent reviewers. I booked b&b white via hostel world and paid a 10% deposit. A week prior to arrival I emailed for directions and received these promptly, however when myself and two femail friends arrived at 8pm there was no one at the b &b. Being stranded at the start of our holiday in a pretty bad neighbourhood was scary. We called the owner and was told he didn't have our booking(I think he just forgot), and told us to go to a local b&b (which was ok but we we wouldn't have booked out of first choice).

There are plenty of hotel options in Palermo, don't let the nice pictures persuade u and book this place- not unless you want a terrible Start to your holiday

Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank HinaLondon
Belgrade, Serbia
Reviewed May 13, 2012

Hi,

First i would like to summarize a pros and cons for this accommodation , and if you want (and have a time) please check my full explanation why I wrote this.
Pros:
*Solid location (for open people from 18-40 who are not bothered with prostitutes transvestites and drunk people wondering around)
*Solid value for money (Superior room only, which still is on looking to the very noisy street)
Cons:
*Terrible service
*Noisy room (noisy as hell when the owner has guest/family late-at-night gathering)
*Problem with locks on every door
*The landlord is ignorant and simply a thief (landlord owe us 60e)

First location, even the room was stationed on central station and there were a bunch of transvestite prostitutes and Indian and African immigrants that didn't bother me at all. Maybe a family with kids....
The building does not have elevator and you are on 3rd floor so it’s ok (when you are not carrying a suitcases). All neighbors are Indian immigrants and they don't take hygiene seriously but the building didn't smell bad.
BUT
When we came we got a different room (new wing) where the main concern was that we didn't have bathroom in our room and a path to that bathroom was next to door with window all across (blur but transparent) and that door wasn't lockable...
Then, still on the first day, we were not able to unlock front door (the key was not good) and stayed on the street for 30 minutes, and every time I called Francesco (the owner), his answer was "wait 10 minutes" - even when we waited for 20 mins already... At the end, I rang to some of the neighbor randomly and he opened the door. Also, the door from the B&B (apartment) was not working as well - you are not allowed only to close it with a handle on your way out because if you do that, you won't be able to enter it again, but someone from inside would have to open it for you. And if there is no one inside - you realize the problem, right?
And the final fiasco with doors was when the door of our room was not able to be locked (it worked on the card instead of the key) and we had to leave the room unlocked for almost 2 days, until we met Francesco and asked him for a proper key...
When we wanted to go to sleep, I tried to close a window (they have 3 wings.) but none of it were possible to be properly closed. So you have a gap of 15cm facing to the street, which like I said is full of gentlemen who think that their 24/7 liquor store is a fanciest place ever. I didn't see, but I think that hospital is nearby because all night I heard sirens and chasing cars.

The next morning Francesca (the cleaning lady) offered us to move in different room (superior suite), free of charge. The room was great. Bathroom in the room, the window could close, we could see our car. The only bad thing was that the card key didn't function so we left our room open that day.
BUT
Next day, Francesca told us that landlord (Francesco) forgot about different reservation so we must transfer to a third room??? Off course we were outraged, but my girlfriend suggested that we get one night free for this discomfort. Francesca asked Francesco (landlord) and he agreed. Again we transfered our things and we came to another room which we discovered to be much worse than our 1st and 2nd room.
PS: We stayed for 6 nights and total was 360e. So, 1 night was 60e.
The room was smaller, again the window couldn't close and the VIEW…. I never been in Bangladesh but I felt like I was in one!!!
That night instead of sirens we listened to popular Indian TV series, music and some thump sound like somebody put a bunch of painting on the wall.
Next night I was confused even more. The Francesco and his girlfriend was decided to eat in front of our room at 23:45 with their dog barking... They ended meal about half after midnight like my sleep for that night.
Francesco avoided us to the last day, so I was suspicious in his intentions about returning us the money.
One hour before we should leave I asked him about the money, and he said "oh yeas 6 euros".
I said no 6, it was 60. How can you assume that we want 6 euros back when we spent our precious time on Sicily packing our things for 3 times until the 4th day!
All of this conversation was extremely difficult because Francesco does not know a single word of English.
We demanded he call Francesca to confirm the story, but he said that she have day off and he won’t bother her. All in all we didn't see that 6 euros either so... I thought that Francesco was only ignorant how to run a B&B but now I see that he is a dishonest man and a thief.
So many good reviews for this B&B?! How??!!
I saw a few answers to unsatisfied customers on this site, but that is not written by Francesco, definitely. Somebody is writing it on his behalf and even those kind and carrying words I can’t imagine came from him…

tpoba4@yahoo.com

2 Thank Vladimir K
bbwhitePalermo, Proprietario at B&B White, responded to this review, May 28, 2012
Write 2 times the same experience most certainly does not help the other users of this site, but only serves to denigrate an b&b.
My feedback that can respond to this gentleman, who has just written a series of lies that are unjustified, but I do not the liberty of calling him a liar because I would not do anything but go down to the same level, one made of insults like those he used when he defines a thief and ignorant! Fortunately, up to Agios every kind of person was welcome to my house ... except this kind of people, ie those with vandalism willfully defiles and dirty rooms and linen, who serves food from my kitchen without asking permission, who uses blackmail to get privileges and who does not try to communicate why these people prefer to offend ... I must be I do not surround and share nia home but luckily it was only one case that he can relive isolate.
I hope Palermo with the right spirit of carefree and relaxing holiday and above all to learn that people do not stink and Indian immigrants are not dangerous ... no more than any other people of any nationality!
Belgrade, Serbia
Reviewed May 4, 2012

We've returned from Palermo on April 29th, 2012 and I want to share my experience with B&B White, Francesco (the owner) at the most. This B&B is in TERRIBLE neighborhood - drunk people who lives there, very poor surrounding, with poor people and you don't feel pleasant going in and out from B&B at all. Around 21h (9pm), you have hookers and transvestites on the corners and strange looking people staring at you. Also, it is a very noisy street, with people who yells at night and there is no chance you can soundly sleep.
Speaking about the noise... Francesko has a habit of inviting his family for late dinners (from 22.30 until midnight) and the dining area is right in front of the rooms! I really don't think that is something you should do when you run a hotel! We even tried to complain, but he doesn't speak any English (how convenient!) and they just continued with talking, laughing, eating,...
The next horrible thing - until our 4th night there, we changed 3 rooms! We complained about that and asked to get one night gratis, Francesca (the girl who cleaned the rooms) spoke with him and he agreed, but on our last day there, Francesca was not working and he denied everything and did not want to give us the money back. Very rude!!! And he said that this is normal in B&B and if we wanted a comfort, we should have gone to a hotel!
I hope this helped to ones who are trying to find nice and quiet place to stay in Palermo....

2 Thank Sanja R
London
Reviewed April 10, 2012

A modern, recently refurbished B&B, albeit lacking the charm of staying in an Italian family home. Location wise, its very close to the train station, an advantage if you want to make a quick exit but an issue if you are looking to use the B&B as a base for exploring Palermo (the station being one of the worst parts of the city). Breakfast was a bit of a disappointment - squashed into the common area and probably the worst of our trip (which saw some good meals). Otherwise not a lot to complain about - whether you stay will probably come down to whether you need to use the station - if you do then the location is invaluable, if not then probably a bit overpriced and lacking character.