“Next to a club”

Ranked #37 of 101 Hotels in Palermo
Perth
“Next to a club”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Arrived on a Saturday a little earlier than check-in time. They locked our bags in a room and we went walking around town for a while. The hotel is located in the old part of the city, so it has a lot of beautiful old buildings within walking distance from the hotel, and some cheap and tasty local food.

I came down with an extremely bad case of allergy (hayfever) that morning which lasted the entire 3 days we stayed at the hotel. So anyway we eventually checked in and went into a very nice modern room on the 3rd floor, with 2 windows facing the street (Via Vittorio Emanuele). By this time I was in a very poor state and went straight to bed. Around 9pm I had a rude shock when the nightlife outside began. The hotel's website mentions soundproofing of the rooms. Ha! Not true. The music and cheering of the people at the club outside across from my room just got louder and louder, and eventually stopped at 4am. I didn't sleep at all that night.

Next morning (Sunday) I asked staff if the club would be open again that night, to which they said yes. I asked to therefore move to another room, which thankfully they managed to sort out. I moved to another room on the other side of the hotel, on the 2nd floor, which was fairly quiet except for when the maids were chatting to each other in the hallway, which was no big deal. I finally managed to get some sleep while I was bedridden for the next 2 days.

By Monday morning I was feeling heaps better, but unfortunately we had to check out that day. Upon checking out, my Mastercard kept getting declined. Luckily my backup Visa worked. I still don't understand why my MasterCard didn't work, because I tried it in a shop later and had no problems.

On returning home I looked at the hotel bill, and realised they charged me for several uses of the minibars from both rooms. I hadn't even touched their bars! So paid an extra 16 Euro for nothing (about $23 AUD). Thanks guys. I blame myself for not paying more attention to the bill at check out, but it was in Italian so that probably had something to do with it.

Lastly, the staff were generally professional but not always friendly. Although I have to say I did get along with the chef guy. He couldn't speak English but in another life I reckon we would have been good mates.

Although this is a 4-star hotel, I would not come back. I recommend anyone who books here to make sure you request a quiet room away from the street.

Room Tip: Definitely request a quiet room away from the street, otherwise you will have nightclub noise in you...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank oxyat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 9, 2013

We were a little nervous having read some of the reviews about the rough area surrounding the hotel. Having said that were a lot of glowing reviews too. We would like to add a glowing review because we had a fantastic 3 days in Palermo - helped greatly by staying at this hotel. Sure there are some poor areas on the hotel's doorstep but we never once felt at risk. The locals were all friendly and the neighbourhood was interesting because it wasn't too 'touristy'. The location is central so you can walk to most places. It's on the corner of one of the main streets so a little noisy - but this is a big city. What was a real surprise was that at night time the area turns into a busy and buzzy party area. All the bars open onto the pavement, live music, DJs - great atmosphere that goes on quite late/early! So if you like that thing, this is the place to stay.

The hotel is modern but not sterile. Nicely furnished rooms, comfy beds and linens and great shower. We were upgraded to a suite so I can't comment on the size of the standard rooms, but the suite was fab.

The breakfast buffet was the best we had all week in Sicily. Everything you could imagine - all of the highest quality.

Finally the service from the reception staff was exemplary. They recommended some great restaurants - some we never would have found in the guide books too.

If you go to Palermo, stay at this place. Last ip if you are still reading…..

The outdoor rooftop bar in the main department store (via Roma). Excellent Negronis. We discovered this all by ourselves so were very chuffed!

1 Thank 33Hutch
Capel, Australia
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We stayed in this hotel (well located for tourists) for three nights, mid-week, in September. The room was delightful, with a frescoed ceiling, a lovely bathroom, a sitting area and a balcony. The breakfast buffet was tasty and ample... but, be ready. We had a great view from our balcony over life in the streets below, but at night the action amped up and it was a very noisy buzz of night-club noise. If you get a kick out of seeing and hearing the life of the streets and have a good pair of ear-plugs for when you want to sleep it's a great location. If you don't, ask for a room in the back section. The reception staff, in particular, were extremely helpful and went out of their way to help with bookings and information.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JandBPGB
Livermore, California
Reviewed November 1, 2013

My wife and I stayed in this hotel for one night on vacation. The hotel is located within walking distance of the Vucciria and Ballaro markets and many of the sights around the Quattro Canti. However, we had the feeling that it wasn't a neighbourhood in which one should wander after dark. We booked a superior room, as the price was right, and found it to be quite large and well furnished with a very large bed. It did have a balcony but, as the room was on the 1st floor, it was too noisy too be of any use. The hotel breakfast was not particularly remarkable, although the eating area was an very airy and architecturally interesting space. Overall, it was a good value, but I am not quite sure that it lived up to it's four star claims.

If you do stay, I highly recommend visiting the Antica Focacceria di San Francesco, located nearby, for excellent Sicilian fare.

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed October 29, 2013

The location is good (geographically speaking)
The hotel common areas are nice, the rooms are big and nice decorated.
The staff shows you a wide smile but is not helpfull at all. They give you only 1 hour per day of free internet and then you have a public PC in the lobby which is allways in use (of course because is a big hotel). Breakfast is very generous in quantity but very bad in quality, it's hard to find something simple and tasty to eat.
We stayed there friday and saturday night and it is absolutely IMPOSIBLE to sleep because that street is full of bars and is very crowded. Besides there are a DJ in the street playing music at the same volume as in a club, yes a DJ!!!
We asked to be relocated and with that fake smile we were told "the hotel is full" so we did not sleep anything because (believe me) is IMPOSIBLE, the noise is too loud and there isn't any isolation.

Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We booked this hotel primarily because of the reviews on Tripadvisor. The room was large for European standards but I did book a suite. The room had two small balconies you could walk out onto and look out on to the street (not large at all). The area was what I expected of downtown Palermo, but I could see how some people would shy away from an area like this. The room was clean, and had A/C. The breakfast included with the room was a nice breakfast buffet. Several reviews I read complained about noise levels from the nightlife across the street. It was pretty loud, but we were on the 3rd floor and the doors were closed the noise did not interfere with our sleep. However during cooler weather if you had opened those balcony doors for fresh air you better have some earplugs. I would have rated this hotel average if it were not for the staff. In particular a very nice young man Danilo. This young man was very professional, helpful, and on point! Bravo to Danilo should this hotel not recognize his value he surely will succeed where ever he goes.

Room Tip: Higher floor
Chicago
Reviewed October 26, 2013

I booked this hotel through their website in April ( because of all the positive reviews), but did not receive a confirmation. Twice I emailed them requesting a confirmation,but received no reply. I travel internationally on a regular basis and this is the first time this has happened. I didn't want to show up at their hotel and not have a room, so I booked another hotel in Palermo. Wouldn't you know it, they charged me for the room as a "no show".I feel cheated and just want to alert my fellow tripadvisor travelers.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple