A nice hotel to end our Sicily trip. Like the bank vault theme. Got a room with reception/sitting area and balcony which we put to great use recovering from over-eating and relaxation without children. Good beds, decent bathrooms, generic toiletries, well furnished, room decor a bit clinical but fine. Likey to be the nicest large hotel in Palermo.
BUT, if I put on my high maintenance hat - given the price we paid and the positioning level they strive for - they need to improve their game:
* wooden floors in the hall transmit noise; not bad but could be better
* no wifi in rooms - in lobby only and weak signal; thus very difficult to plan the day
* no glasses of any kind or corkscrews in the room; only cheap plastic cups... and charged 5 euro per room service visit to deliver glasses to the room
* to use Sky movies need to contact reception; TV could have worked better with a coherent menu (yes you will be watching TV if you take full advantage of the food/wine)
* some staff struggled with English; had to be curt in order to make requests clear
* no dedicated concierge desk
* no toilet seat on handicapped toilet in lobby (luxury hotels need to overcome the local anti-toilet seat bias or charge less)
On the upside:
* best lightproof curtain setup I've seen since a new 4S / overlapping blackout shades with velcro on the sides and top light block
* staff knew the area better than other expereinces we had across Sicily
* room service was excellent and inexpensive for the quality (ex-glass delivery)
* good breakfast with huge block of fresh ricotta and interesting cheese plate
* balcony overlooked the local houses/courtyard in the back which was fun
* great little cafe just on the corner of Via Alessandro Paternostro where we ended the nights chatting with the owners and sampling amaros
All-in, a nice oasis to relax and experience a comparatively dodgy (vs new town) but very atmospheric part of Palermo. And if they get the details right in the future, then the price-quality mix will make more sense. So, enjoy, but manage your expectations.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline and Travelocity so you can book your Grand Hotel Piazza Borsa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Hotel Piazza Borsa Palermo, Sicily