“Count your Fingers!”

Grand Hotel Piazza Borsa
Ranked #3 of 98 Hotels in Palermo
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Although overall, the location, the property and the room were all fine and would have rated a very good rating, but at the end they left us shaking our heads in disbelief. On the first day, I'd taken a bottle of water out of the mini-frig and put it on top. It rolled behind the frig; we couldn't reach it. I duly reported it to the desk, they sent someone up, but he couldn't retrieve it either. The frig was nailed to the cabinet etc. and would have required tools etc. Don't you know they charged us 1 euro 90 for the water?! - Then we made the mistake of not paying for all our glasses of wine at the bar with cash and not putting it on the room tab. They did give us receipts but these had NO prices on them. At the bar, they were 4 euro. If they wanted to offer a more expensive glass, then we would have known to refuse it if paying with cash. When the room tab was presented, it had charges far in excess of 4 euros a glass. - The only Wi-Fi (free as Americans understand it) is in the lobby area, close to the desk. This area is very cold! - The property is very pretty and "grand." Too bad that they're spoiling the whole experience with their chiseling. Caveat!

Room Tip: Our room was close to the residential buildings on the other side of the street. There was noise of...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Carol K

Reviewed November 5, 2013

I had reservations about staying here as some reviews on TA were not favorable. However, our experience was excellent. After I made my reservation online, I had a couple of questions about my room and location. I called the hotel and they pulled it up immediately and resolved my issues. The hotel was bright and clean and the front desk was very helpful. We wanted to check if the Archaeological Museum was open and he called a couple of people to confirm that it wasn't. We were very pleasantly surprised and would definitely stay here again. The location is excellent and within walking distance of all the historic area. Other posters had said it was difficult to find the entrance so I have posted some pictures that I hope will help.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Architecturally this is a gracious hotel with a beautiful inner courtyard. The hotel is the former stock exchange building. It is ideally located in a quiet square. We had a very clean, well appointed room. The dining room is large and majestic? The desk staff are friendly and helpful. The main purpose of this hotel is to cater for conferences, seminars and other functions. It can feel a little impersonal. However, it suited our needs very well and we were very happy with it.

Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Palermo (or at least its historic centre) is an acquired taste - noise, narrow streets, traffic in chaos and a gentle air of decay. It of course has staggeringly beautiful sights to see and will reward the determined traveller. This hotel is a very centrally located oasis.

We stayed on the 4th floor with a room as large as any I have ever seen. The room overlooked the Piazza (and Church) of San Francesco D'Assisi. Quiet room despite noise of streets; effective air conditioninng, satellite TV, comfortable chairs, lots of room to put away clothes, over the top luxurious bathroom. The room certainly rates 10 out of 10. Minor negative marks: breakfast is served down in the main lobby. A little poorly thought out. Yogurt is all of the sugared variety. Eggs (scrambled only) were salted to the point of being inedible. I complained one day and the next they were slightly better but still reflected a heavy hand. Caffe Latte request from an anglo came out as watery filtered American coffee with hot milk (stick to capuccino - quite serviceable). However, variety was good - lots of ham, salami, cheese, ricotta, buns etc to say nothing of dolci. I take only a few small marks away for sub-par breakfast at the end. We stayed here as part of a tour, so I don't know what rate we paid. However, it was all we wanted and more in Palermo and I am reasonably picky.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 15, 2013

A brand new hotel in the restructured headquarters of a large bank. Ideally placed in the old part of Palermo, which is a chaotic city. Furnishings are modern, not very luxurious (in the lowest class of rooms, to be fair). Attentive service. Overall, a pleasant and comfortable hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 10, 2013

The hotel was the best part of our visit, unfortunately. Palermo is very dirty and historic buildings and monuments are not kept, have graffiti and trash everywhere. Lots of homeless dogs and cats of the street and by the ocean, It was very said to see those animals on the streets and the piles of trash all over the city. It was a depressive town. After 3 hours there, I couldn't wait to leave the town but was trapped on my travel arrangements for 2 night in Palermo. The hotel was great, it was clean (except the shower), and people were overall friendly. I ended up visiting sites with a small bag of cat and dog food on my hand and dropping food on the way. Back to Hotel, great stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 29, 2013

It is difficult to choose a hotel in Palermo: it's a big chaotic city. However, the hotel is in a calm corner and it envelopes you in a quiet atmosphere as soon as you walk in. The rooms are big and luxurious and new. The beds comfortable. It has a beautiful courtyard full of light. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family