“Linguini con Pesto Palermitano - delizioso!!”

Trattoria al Cancelletto Verde dal 1954
Ranked #128 of 1,949 Restaurants in Palermo
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

walked by this restaurant on my way to my hotel, it was raining, I was hungry so I decided to take a chance, it was 2:45 in the afternoon, most places close a 3:30 for lunch, my risk payed off. I was welcomed by the charming owner who took my coat, and made me feel right at home, which is always a great feeling and something I really enjoy from family owned restaurants and shops. The menu had quite a few dishes with Eggplant, and local seafood. Since I'm allergic to eggplant and I wanted something light, I decided to try Linguini con Pesto Palermitano. Go ahead, say it, I know what you are thinking... "you said you wanted something light" ... well sue me I love Pesto and I was not going to pass on the opportunity to try a different version.
To my surprise the pesto was light, with a nice texture and aromas of basil, oregano, and pistachios. The pasta was cooked to perfection and the flavors were rich. The plate was beautifully presented. The owner kept on chatting with me off and on, as well with other patrons. When I was done, he helped me with my coat, so I can't complaint about the service or the attention, and the food was just as good. There's a 2€ cover charge.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,543)

Reviewed January 11, 2013

We had lunch at this restaurant before the crowd arrived, and because there were not many patrons yet, the waiter had time to talk with us. The walls were adorned with photos of famous people who have dined there--including Andrea Bocelli, posing with the owner, who was hovering around us as well. We asked Phillip, our waiter, if Bocelli had indeed dined there and he said that for an entire week the maestro had his dinner with them. He said his hand had shaken as he served the food, until Bocelli told him, "Relax, I'm just a guy."

The food was excellent, the service was polite and relaxed, and we greatly enjoyed talkiing with Phillip. I wish we had been there longer so we could have returned for dinner--next time.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

We went back to this restaurant as we liked the service, menu, wine and atmosphere. It was only two blocks from Grand Hotel Wagner, where we stayed, so very convenient.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

I have been to Italy four times and this was by far the worst meal. I feel like they treated us poorly because we spoke another language. The house wine was horrid and the antipasti was not good... Sorry I stubled on it..

1  Thank T C
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Superb small family restaurant serving wonderfully tasty and authentic Sicilian cuisine. The atmosphere, both inside and in the seating area outside, is cozy and welcoming, and the food is full of flavour and beautifully presented. The staff work hard to ensure an enjoyable dining experience, and of the three or four restaurants we patronised in the area during our stay in Palermo, this was without doubt the best. The pasta I ordered was beautifully cooked and full of tasty seafood and vegetables, while my wife’s fish was drenched in a wonderfully tasty sauce and came with a generous vegetable accompaniment