“Wonderful food and extremely kind service”

Trattoria ai Cascinari
Ranked #37 of 1,801 Restaurants in Palermo
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Typical Palermo food, open at lunch from Tuesday to Sunday and dinner from Wednesday to Saturday. We are closed on Tuesday too from the middle of July until the middle of September.
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We went here for a traditional Sunday lunch. The trattoria was completely full - prebooking recommended. The food was extremely good, the service very friendly and the prices were reasonable. We recommend the mixed starters consisting of various tasting portions of typical Sicilian starters. We continued with excellent pasta with seafood and tuna. We were too full to try a main course but the ones we saw at the other tables looked very good. We would always come again to this wonderful place.

Reviewed May 18, 2013

Typical local italian restaurant. No glitz and glamour, or trendy interiour. Just simple and clean, and you barely can see the entrance from outside.
But you get delicious food, the real deal, without a lot of fuzz.
We bought four main dishes, two salads, two dessert cakes, one fanta, one brandy, one big bottle sparkling water, one esspresso and a bottle of wine for 58€!
Ps. Order a table if eating out on saturday evening. We got a table, but most of the guest seemed to have ordered in advance since saturday is the big day out for families and friends.

1  Thank AlphaHelix
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We have been there in a group of four, had a complete three course lunch and drinks, and it cost us 70 Euros. I was expecting a 100+ bill. The starters and food was special as we could not resist trying each others food. I'd definitely recommend this place. You'd be better of with reservation.

Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

We went to this place after reading the TA reviews on it. Honestly, I was a bit apprehensive, since it's the second rated restaurant out of 600 odd in Palermo, and if I remember correctly, people have mentioned it was in the Lonely Planet guide too. So I wondered if it might be a tad on the pretentious/expensive side. I couldn't have been more wrong! We were greeted by, I assume, the owner, who was very friendly, welcoming, and helpful with questions about the menu. The waiters were all very friendly too - despite the high rating on here, the place has retained that warm, familial feel.

We paid 50 euros in total for two people, and we took a huge antipasto for two ('a taste of everything', the owner referred to it as) which - if you're not a big eater - is filling in itself. The melanzane (aubergine/eggplant) polpette ball things were my personal favourites, but then it was all absolutely delicious, and the quality of everything was top notch. I'm English, but I've been living in Italy the past six years, plus my boyfriend is Italian, and we both agreed it's one of the best meals we've ever had. For the primo, I took the ravioli fantasia, and my boyfriend took a pasta with fish plate (I can't remember exactly what, but it was also delicious). We were both stuffed by then and skipped the secondo, so I can't comment, but going by the standard of everything else, I would expect them to also be excellent. We found room for dessert (separate compartment), and they were sort of spongy/creamy layer cake type things - I had a pistacchio cream one and my boyfriend had the chocolate one. Don't be fooled by the pre-prepared appearance of them, they're gorgeous! It was like a sort of pistacchio tiramisu in terms of texture. They also gave us a complimentary plate of fresh biscuits. In addition we had half a litre of house white and grappa to finish off with. When we paid, the owner gave us a little ceramic fridge magnet plate, which is a nice touch. This place is a ten out of ten for me, I've consumed a lot of (too much!) Italian food over the last few years, and Trattoria ai Cascinari is straight into my top three restaurants. We actually tried to book to eat there again the second night (we were only in Palermo two nights), but left it too late and it was full :( ...the night we ate there was a Wednesday (we'd booked a table) and when we arrived just after 8pm it was almost empty, but by the time we left it was completely full, so book in advance!

Reviewed May 9, 2013

Delicious!! Great place, great service. The waiter attended us very friendly. Everything I tried was wonderful.