“Excellent value for money”

Trattoria ai Cascinari
Ranked #30 of 1,734 Restaurants in Palermo
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Typical Palermo food, open at lunch from Tuesday to Sunday and dinner from Wednesday to Saturday. We are closed on Tuesday too from the middle of July until the middle of September.
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent value for money”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We have been there in a group of four, had a complete three course lunch and drinks, and it cost us 70 Euros. I was expecting a 100+ bill. The starters and food was special as we could not resist trying each others food. I'd definitely recommend this place. You'd be better of with reservation.

• Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
“The sort of place that makes you sign up to TA just to praise it”
Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

We went to this place after reading the TA reviews on it. Honestly, I was a bit apprehensive, since it's the second rated restaurant out of 600 odd in Palermo, and if I remember correctly, people have mentioned it was in the Lonely Planet guide too. So I wondered if it might be a tad on the pretentious/expensive side. I couldn't have been more wrong! We were greeted by, I assume, the owner, who was very friendly, welcoming, and helpful with questions about the menu. The waiters were all very friendly too - despite the high rating on here, the place has retained that warm, familial feel.

We paid 50 euros in total for two people, and we took a huge antipasto for two ('a taste of everything', the owner referred to it as) which - if you're not a big eater - is filling in itself. The melanzane (aubergine/eggplant) polpette ball things were my personal favourites, but then it was all absolutely delicious, and the quality of everything was top notch. I'm English, but I've been living in Italy the past six years, plus my boyfriend is Italian, and we both agreed it's one of the best meals we've ever had. For the primo, I took the ravioli fantasia, and my boyfriend took a pasta with fish plate (I can't remember exactly what, but it was also delicious). We were both stuffed by then and skipped the secondo, so I can't comment, but going by the standard of everything else, I would expect them to also be excellent. We found room for dessert (separate compartment), and they were sort of spongy/creamy layer cake type things - I had a pistacchio cream one and my boyfriend had the chocolate one. Don't be fooled by the pre-prepared appearance of them, they're gorgeous! It was like a sort of pistacchio tiramisu in terms of texture. They also gave us a complimentary plate of fresh biscuits. In addition we had half a litre of house white and grappa to finish off with. When we paid, the owner gave us a little ceramic fridge magnet plate, which is a nice touch. This place is a ten out of ten for me, I've consumed a lot of (too much!) Italian food over the last few years, and Trattoria ai Cascinari is straight into my top three restaurants. We actually tried to book to eat there again the second night (we were only in Palermo two nights), but left it too late and it was full :( ...the night we ate there was a Wednesday (we'd booked a table) and when we arrived just after 8pm it was almost empty, but by the time we left it was completely full, so book in advance!

Leeds
“Love it”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Delicious!! Great place, great service. The waiter attended us very friendly. Everything I tried was wonderful.

London, United Kingdom
“The sweetest highlight to our trip :)”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We are so happy we trusted trip advisors recommendations for this restaurant. It really is a gem. The owners are so sweet and friendly and the food is to die for. I had a steak while my partner went for the salmon...both dishes were cooked to perfection and came with nice sides each so we didnt have to share!
Its in a slightly dodgy area so if you go at night, make sure you are either not alone or you catch a cab! Very cheap food too :)

• Visited January 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing food, good price, slow service”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Another tripadvisor recommendation, another success.
We went there with 2 friends, and ordered a bunch of things: veal steak, pasta with swordfish, stuffed cannelloni, etc.
The food looks "home made" and is very flavourful.
With the coperto charge they give you a lot of different kind of bread to snack on which is good.
The design of the restaurant is funny, because from outside, it looks very small, although behind, they have a lot of rooms which are packed with people (even at 230pm for lunch). And lots of Italians there.
Definitely something to try while in Palermo, if you are ready to wait a bit longer than usual.

• Visited April 2013