“A Most Unique Experience” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Trattoria Tipica Altri Tempi

Trattoria Tipica Altri Tempi
Ranked #211 of 1,686 Restaurants in Palermo
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Politeama
Melbourne, Florida, United States
“A Most Unique Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2012

Good to understand and read Italian, but staff is joyous to be helpful. If you want different, old style, filling Sicilian dishes, stop here after 8 p.m. It's a bonanza of weird sounding but great tasting dishes. A relatively cheap restaurant compared to others; wine and water and bread included with unlimited refills. Manga!

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Martin H

• Turkish first
Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
“Delicious Typical Sicilian Dishes, and LOOTS of them!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2012

We asked for the fixed menu of typical dishes, and it was food for one week:) And all of it was so delicious that we could not stop eating. Wonderful food, genuine and kind service, at a very reasonable price. Definitely recommended.

• Visited May 2012
London
“Hearty food for a big appetite”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2012

We had the tasting menu here, and thought that it was astonishingly good value, as well as saving us what was proving to be a difficult choice amongst so many potentially interesting looking dishes on a menu in Sicilan dialect. This restaurant really does try to do something different: this is honest country cooking, and you will probably not eat these dishes outside Sicily. You will learn something about how hard life was for the average Sicilan contadino, whose diet was not based on luxury ingredients, but who made good and interesting food nevertheless. I defy anyone to actually get through all the food, though: pace yourself carefully, or you won't even make it to the secondi piatti....

• Visited April 2012
altrincham
“autentic sicilian food, friendly atmosphere, good value for money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2012

this is an authentic sicilian restaurant, the patrons are local people so that the dishes are prepared according to traditional recipes. Friendly service, very good value for money.

• Visited February 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Bracknell, United Kingdom
“Don't eat for a week before coming here!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2011

We were recommended this restaurant by the owner of the hotel we were staying in. We were staying near the Teatro Massimo and it was only a 10 min stroll from there in a quiet neighbourhood.

I had difficulty understanding all of the menu as it was written in "dialetto Siciliano", (fortunately I could understand most of it as my mother is Sicilan) so we placed our trust in the waiters. I was expecting just one antipasto each, however what was presented to us was one of each antipasto on the list - none of which were small portions! Amongst them was a dish of pannelle and courgette flowers in batter which were delicious, roasted aubergines, a kind of stew with chunks of beef and tripe (I coudn't bring myself to eat the tripe!) So were already feeling quite full and then the "primo piatto", the pasta dish arrived. I had the pasta with sardines and my friend had the pasta with tomato sauce and aubergines. Both were delicious but the portions were huge! We tried our very best but we couldn't manage to clear our plates - this is most unusual for me!
We suspected that the pasta portions were quite generous so hadn't ordered the "Secondo Piatto" and instead went straight to the fruit - melon, prickly pear and a some sicilian pastries, these were also served with 3 bottles of homemade liqueurs - limoncello, finocchio (aniseed liqueur) and a herby one - which we could just help ourselves to.
All this, including bread, a litre of white wine and bottle of mineral water came to just €20 each which I thought was excellent value.
My only criticism was that service was too quick, no sooner had we finished a course then the next course was served - we really could have done with at least a 15 min breather in between.
I would definitely return here, but next time I'd make sure that I'm close to passing out with hunger beforehand!

• Visited September 2011