“Charming and great food” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cucina Papoff

Cucina Papoff
Ranked #148 of 1,686 Restaurants in Palermo
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
South Yarra
“Charming and great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

This restaurant is in a lovely stone pillared and arched very old buiding, The welcome is warm and friendly, the menu interesting and the cooking and presentation excellent. We two had appetisers and mains (which we shared) and a good bottle of sicilian red wine recommended by madame. GThe whole lots was Euro 82, which I consider most reasonable for waht was a first class dining experience.

Visited June 2013

New York City, New York
“Nothing to Write Home About”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

Don't be fooled by the homey name, since this in not a cucina at all. It is a psudo fancy place with lovely architectural arches and fair food. To begin with, I was longing for pasta con sarde.
What I got was a small plate with boney sardines and not much flavor. I kept the receipt. And it reads:
The "cover", that would be the bread and the chair you sit on, was 3 Euros each. A bottle of water is 3 euros. That is 9 for two people (about $12) and no food yet. The Pasta con sarde was 10 euros. Not a ton of money, except it wasn't good. My husband's meal, 15 euros, was a very small serving or psece spada (swordfish) and was average. Two "contorni" I forget what I ate. This is the one and only ristorante in Palermo that I felt was pretentious. We do not eat dessert and there was one beer. The total came to 50 Euros. I usually do not count every Euro, but I am making a point here: This was too much money for what we got, and rates as our worst meal in Palermo, and we were there 7 nights. So, go somewhere else. Really. I mean it.

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Seabrook, Texas
“Warm and friendly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

Excellent food and atmosphere but not that expensive considering the high prices of palermo. Great wine list and cheaper if you buy a bottle overall than buy just a glass. Reminds me of a home cooked more meal. A 4 course meal with a bottle wine was about 70 euros for a couple. Weekend make reservations and the menu comes in several languages. Our waiter was very helpful. Get the eggplant carbonara. Even the Sicilians say it is the best in town

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank SeabrookJack
San Francisco, California, United States
“Great food and service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

We had a great (mostly seafood) dinner here on our second night in Palermo. Before we started our meal, the very helpful and friendly woman brought over a plate to show us the the fresh catch of the day, which included cod, prawns, swordfish, squid, baby anchovies, and red mullet. This was crucial in our decision making amongst the many delicious selections on the menu. Torn between baby octopus in hot spicy sauce or the risotto with citrus and prawns? Done! Can't decide on linguine with red mallet and wild fennel or gnocchi in basil sauce with fried eggplant? Easy! Sitting on the fence between fried baby anchovy patties or squid ink risotto? Get both!

I was a little lost on the wine selection, with the many unfamiliar Sicilian regions and varietals. With no knowledge, I sort of just picked an Etna bianco. When I pointed the wine out and asked her opinion, she looked a little perplexed and said she'd be right back. We watched her talked in that charming animated Italian way with the sommelier, with lots of hand gestures and melodic flow of words. When she came back, she recommended a great bottle of Sicilian white, also from the slope of Mt. Etna with a grape varietal I'm not familiar with called Carricante. It was light, refreshing, citrusy, slightly acidic, which was great with everything we ordered.

Overall, great night filled with unforgettable food and wine, with attentive service.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Sam W
Rome, Italy
“Good atmosphere, food average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

We ordered spaghetti al Nero seppie, and it tasted like usual. Nothing special. The antipasto was a lot. Vegetable was cold. But it has great atmosphere and very friendly staffs. Yet the price is q bit high, €12-15 for primo piatto

• 2 of 5 bubbles