“Not good”

Neighborhood: Politeama
Melbourne, Australia
“Not good”
Reviewed June 1, 2014

Recommended by tour guide but the worst food I have eaten in Italy.my squid ink pasta was gluggy and unappetising and the mixed fried calamari and prawns tasted of chlorine. Service was cursory. Restaurant appearance was down at heel, dirty windows etc.

• Visited June 2014

Vienna, Austria
“Delicious food but keep distance from tours and enjoy”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

On Wednesday evening, October 15, 2013, my wife and I enjoyed a very tasty dinner of grilled vegetables, pasta with pesto and clams, and a mixed grilled fish plate. There was no problem in our sharing each of these dishes and our waiter, Giacomo, was most helpful and attentive. He advised us before we ordered the grilled fish plate that it would be expensive as the cost depends on the weight and daily price of the fish. He was correct. Our table was by the opening to the terrace and so we had delightful fresh air and were not disturbed by the voices of the two tours in the next room. The quality of each dish was quite good and we experienced a very pleasant evening.

• Visited October 2013
Colchester, UK
“Where to start? Change the chef. Avoid”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Well, we avoided a wedding party, although 30+ members of something like the local businessmen's meeting (yes, all men) showed up just before 10pm, as we were about to leave. And our bill arrived pretty promptly on request.

We made reservations and were met by - as it turned out - a somewhat untrained server who led us to a table, unfortunately, next to a smoker so we had to move. He asked what we would like to drink. We said water and asked for the wine card. They didn't have one. So, after a somewhat convoluted conversation it came down to red or white. Sicilian?, he asked. But, there are 100's of producers in Sicily. He returns with three bottles, was evidently all they carried.. We opted for a Syrah, which was so-so. A second (older) server arrived to take our order, except that we had not been given menus. Armed with the menus and the older server returning, I chose the stella di mare followed by mixed grilled vegetables and brochette of grilled fish; my wife chose mussels au gratin followed by tagliatelli con porcini and a mixed salad. Well, the stella was supposed to be hot but actually cold in the middle, the grilled fish was actually fried and consisted of squid, a couple of shrimps and unspecified fish interspersed with slices of lemon and orange, even though there a quarter of lemon was supplied to drizzle on the fish. The grilled vegetables were similarly sparse; three types of vegetables only, pretty unappetizing. My wife's tagliatelli arrived swimming with sauce and oil - in fact, we were afraid it might slide off the plate. Never, never in 30 years visiting and dining in Italy have I seen so much oily thin "sauce" served with pasta. The mixed salad was pretty tasteless. We did not dare to try any dolci. The wine and service were OK - and at my insistence they took the stella off the bill. Would we return? You have already got the picture. Avoid.

• Visited October 2013
Winston-Salem, NC
“Could and Should have been better”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

My wife and I ate here during a recent visit to Palermo. Though the food was really very good; we both had fish with the price fixed menu; I had an excellent marinated fish app pasta with mussels and clams, risotto with mussels, clams, and calamari. All were fantastic. My wife had grilled swordfish, again excellent. For dessert we had cansata, which was very average. Unfortunately this is where things really broke down. It took forever to get our check. Though the food was very good, the service was deplorable. The waiter would intentionally turn his back on me when I tried to get his attention. I actually had to walk to the counter and ask the hostess for the waiter to bring me the check.
The food was worth it, but just be prepared, you may have trouble paying the bill.

• Visited May 2013
Ispra, Italy
“good food ... recommended also for celiacs”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We had a nice dinner there with plenty of good food. Some of us needed gluten-free food and they were fully satisfied. Only drawback (as so often also in other places):pay attention to everything that is not explicitly mentioned with a written price ... you can be sure they will charge you a lot for that. In our case it was the wine: there was no wine menu.

• Visited May 2013