Hotel Villa Romeo
Priceline
$153
$141
Hotwire.com
All reviewsrailway stationthe busdoor openinga short minute walkenclosed courtyardbeautiful patiocity centrejust round the cornerwhere breakfast is servedroom facingbus servicethe hotel staffbit datedrooms are beautifulexcellent hotelbooked this hotelfirst floor
Reviewed November 9, 2011

I went to this hotel in October 2011. The hotel has good reviews and for the most part came well above expectations. The staff - concierges - on the desk were helpfulness personified, recommending somewhere to eat in the evening that was good as well as close by. The decoration and general presentation of the rooms was also excellent. There was free WiFi available, though generally only in public areas (it is perfectly possible that the density/quantity of walls between computer and server point worked against this). Breakfast offered the full range of styles: full 'English' to all shades of 'Continental'. Bread was fresh, if a little unexciting. There were sun loungers/chairs/tables/plants on the terraces, and there was a machine from which various kinds of hot drink could be obtained 24/24. As a single, slightly older, female traveller I felt safe and cared about.
On the other hand there were aspects that reduced the rating from 'Excellent' to 'Very Good'. The single room which I occupied was small. Barely enough space to get my cases through the door, and the en suite meant that there was a need to close the door in order to get to the wash basin. The TV may well have been excellent, but with NO English language channels available (at least for 'free') it was unlikely to be used. Sadly there was an odour of drains that, on one occasion, was so thick you could almost have cut it....

Room Tip: Do look at their website if you are booking in advance. If you turn up to the hotel wihtout prior booking, then they have a book on the desk with photographs of all their rooms. All rooms - as far as I could see - face inwards towards one or other of the terraces, hence are quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed November 6, 2011

I stayed at Villa Romeo one night in a spacious comfortable room, good breakfast, helpful staff. The next day I broke my hip. The staff at Villa Romeo went out of their way to help with communications with my family and made 2 trips to the hospital. They were incredibly helpful with a genuine desire to be of assisstance. I lucked out by staying at this hotel with such fantastic people. I recommend them highly. PS They have a courtyard with orchids and are close to the train station with a short walk to the city center.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank lslriggs
Reviewed October 19, 2011

Just back from a week in this hotel and overall it was a very pleasant place to stay. It was a bit grotty from the outside but once inside we were quiet surprised. We had a prompt check in with a very helpful staff member, did'nt get his name but he was always pleasent,helpful and friendly and we only saw him on the morning shift.
We were a bit surprised at our room, very small and a tiny bathroom which had cracked glass on shower door and was also difficult to close over, I was afraid it would fall on top of us. When we looked at this Hotel on the internet all the pictures showed big airy rooms, but we did'nt get one of these.

Each morning I woke with insect bites which are very itchy and I had to go to a pharmacy for cream for them, Im not sure if the insects were coming from the bathroom or just the room in general as we did not open the window while we were there. I did'nt mention it to reception as I knew the hotel was full and we could not change room anyway.

Our room was cleaned and towels changed daily. The breakfast was not great, we went for breakfast before 9am ( served between 7am and 10am ) most mornings there was not a lot left and they did not seem to replace items when gone, no crossiants and sometimes no bread rolls, coffee came from a thermos and most mornings it was only warm not hot, tinned fruit instead of fresh, cold boiled egg and sausage.this
The helpful staff at reception were really great and the best thing about this hotel was them.

Room Tip: 122 must be the smallest room in the hotel so avoid if possible
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2011

We recently stayed here and were impressed by the friendly staff. They all spoke excellent English, were anxious to provide information on what to see, where to dine, etc. The rooms are well-appointed with all the ammenities one would want, and very clean. The hotel is easy to locate, and is convenient to both the central station and airport. The neighborhood is a bit suspect owing to its close proximity to the central train station. I would not advise visiting Catania on a Sunday as some tourist sites were closed as was the Mt Etna train.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms that face the main street
Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 11, 2011

I was so glad I booked the villa Romeo, the hotel was trully sicilian with beautiful reception, entrance, rooms, beakfast room and as for the garden terrace - what can I say, tranquility in a buzzing city. We booked a triple room as I was on a family trip with my brother and mum to visit our Grandfathers grave in Catania war cemetry. The room was HUGE with 2 twin beds and a King size also, balcony to the leafy street below and very clean, The staff were fantastic and couldn't help us enough, all spoke good english and made us feel so welcome from start to finish. Catania is a brilliant city, vibrant, beautiful and so much to see, not at all what I expected from reading reviews and books on the city. The hotel was easy to find by car as its right next to the train station, it only took 15 mins to walk to the heart of the city passing lots of amazing traditional baroque architecture. Brilliant restaurants were recommended by the hotel staff, one of which was just round the corner, street parking was available and safe as the whole area outside the hotel has security cameras. you wont be dissapointed if you stay here. We even spoke to the owner Romeo who was in his beautifull gardens inspecting the plants. Brilliant hotel, Thanks to all.

Room Tip: Internal rooms are quieter,
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family