“Lovely Hotel”
Review of Il Principe Hotel

Il Principe Hotel
Ranked #17 of 49 Hotels in Catania
Reviewed May 18, 2013

We spent two nights here at the start of our visit to Sicily and liked it so much that we came back for another night at the end. The hotel is smart and stylish and our executive rooms were spacious and comfortable, breakfast is good too. The central location is really important for a short stay and we really enjoyed seeing Catania. The staff at Il Principe are friendly and efficient - special thanks to Marta.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,094)

Reviewed May 17, 2013

After 3 weeks in Sicily and hotels of various qualities this was a great way to end the Sicilian adventure. Il Principe Hotel is in a very central location and I was delighted with my room. It was quiet, which is a luxury in Sicily, yet was only minutes to the centre of the action. The staff were delightful and very helpful with directions and advice. Breakfast was good with enough variety for most tastes. My room was immaculate with everything I could need. I loved this hotel and would not hesitant to recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I stayed in this hotel as part of a tour of Sicily. When I arrived in the bar, prior to a tour briefing, no staff were on duty. When a barman arrived, he then had to open the till, get change and restock some of the drinks needed for the evening. Subsequently, the service was slow. It was as if customers were not expected. Upon paying the local tax on the evening prior to departure, my electronic room key was cancelled and I had to make a further trip to reception to re-activate it.
However, the rooms were comfortable and well equipped and the buffet breakfast was fresh and tasty.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I thought it was a very nice hotel, nice room, nice bathroom, quiet. It felt like a quality business hotel but also nice for a tourist. The woman at the front desk gave us a map and showed us all the places that we might want to see. We had only an overnight there with an early morning flight, way before breakfast --- so I can't comment on that. The hotel arranged our pre-dawn ride to the airport and that all worked well. The sights of downtown are only a couple blocks away and there are nearby restaurants as well. Enjoyed the very short stay there. Also, I thought the price was a good deal.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I booked this hotel for 5 nights because recommended in guide books and online. It didn't disappoint me at all. Excellent location 5 minutes from the Fontana dell'Elefante. Beautiful spacious room with marble bathroom, satellite TV including english and italian channels, wifi. The staff were always helpful and made me feel welcome.

The Lonely Planet guide to Southern Italy recommends this hotel but says that it is "on one of the liveliest nightlife streets in town (thank goodness for double glazing)". This was not my experience - there is one student bar with music in the street but it was audible only briefly once.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 1, 2013

In a previous life the hotel was a palace of King Ferdinand II. It is located right in the historic centre of Catania, a UNESCO-listed World Heritage Site, a few blocks from Piazza del Duomo. You will find some good restaurants around. Our room was quiet and spotless, what we always look for when staying in old italian city centers. The breakfast was also excellent and the room rate very affordable. But most of all we found the staff very profesional and helpfull, exactly whatt an independent couple of travellers like my wife and I wish to find in a city like Catania. Thank you Marta for all your advise and support.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank segredod
Reviewed April 25, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel in a nice location, but our experience there was not ideal. Our room had a bedroom in an upstairs loft. Because stairs are difficult for me we requested the sofa bed be prepared for me to sleep in while my daughter took the bed in the loft. Then we went out to dinner. When we arrived back at the hotel we were told the sofa bed was broken and would not open into a bed. My daughter gave me a sheet and pillow from her bed so I could sleep on the unopened sofa. It was not very comfortable. We left instructions for a wake up call at 5:15 a.m. and a taxi at 5:45 a.m. to the airport for an early flight the next day. At 11:30 p.m. we were awakened by a phone call from the front desk saying someone had written down for the taxi to arrive before the wake up call. After that mistake was cleared up we were both wide awake and neither of us got much sleep, but it was fortunate that they did phone us. Unfortunately we had a 17 hour travel day the next day so obviously we do not have pleasant memories of our stay at II Principe Hotel. We left before the breakfast hour so I cannot write about that.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family