Il Principe Hotel
$121
$88
Travelocity
1,106 results
All reviewscentral locationnice hotelexcellent locationthe hotel staffnoisy at nightpiazza duomopastriesthe main squarestandard roomstayed two nightsrental carvia etneathe heart of the cityfish marketthe air conditioningbuffet breakfastwi fi
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 3, 2012

We only had 1 full day in Calabria-- and I think if we didnt stay in this hotel- we would have only seen Mt. Etna-- and missed out of seeing the Duomo and fish market (were able to walk to both from the hotel early in the morning) prior to our Etna Experience tour. Hotel was great- small, but clean/modern room and the only downfall was that WiFi only worked in the lobby. Would highly recommend!

2  Thank worldboot
PrincipeHotel, Direttore at Il Principe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2012

Dear Guest,
thank you for choosing us during your visit of Catania.
We appreciated your words and apologize for the problems with WiFi service, but we changed the system and this caused some troubles.
We hope you will come soon to visit us again

Sincerly

Hotel Manager

Reviewed May 30, 2012

Great location, helpful staff, wonderful breakfast!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest,
We are so glad to hear you had a great experience at Il Principe Hotel Catania.
I will definitely share your wonderful comments with the Team Members here at Il Principe Hotel.
Thank you again and we hope to see you again soon.

Hotel Manager

Reviewed May 29, 2012

First off, this review is for American tourists. European tourists will never understand my frustrations with this hotel, and hotels in general in Europe. Also, this review is for BUDGET-MINDED travelers. If you are rich and money is no concern...skip this review.

This is a nice hotel. It does have a relatively large lobby, as far as lobbies go for a European hotel. And, most importantly, it is very centrally located to the heart of Catania's architecture. This is ultimately what you are paying for....location.

Average size room. Though I can never understand why the showers are so small? Every time I bend over to wash my feet, my butt turns off the water.

They also have a very nice, extensive breakfast buffet. Both hot and cold items and you can order your cappuccino or espresso from the waiter.

So what's the problem? Well the Wi-Fi is awful. You can't use it in your room, so I'm stuck skyping with my daughter in the hotel lobby...with everyone else around. I thought America is supposed to lag behind most other countries with regard to high speed Internet? Every hotel we stayed at in Italy had awful service in the rooms. Perhaps is the huge marble walls that don't transmit signal very well.....but that can be fixed by adding more and stronger routers.

Finally, there are many hotels nearby with similar amenities that cost much less. Villa Romeo is an example. If you are trying to save a few bucks (which is very hard to do in Europe in 2012), stay at a hotel a little farther away and take a bus to the main piazza.

THM (Take Home Message): This is a nice hotel. I gave it 3 stars only because I didn't think the overall amenities warranted the cost. You are simply paying for location. If you are staying in Catania for 3 days or more and have time to enjoy the breakfast, then maybe it is worth it. If you are rich and don't care about money....and don't want to take public transportation....then again, a very worthwhile hotel for you. For the rest of us mere mortals.....I think you can find much better deals in the area.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sonofcalabria
PrincipeHotel, Direttore at Il Principe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2012

Dear Guest,
first of all thank you a lot for choosing us during your stay in Catania and for spending your time to write a review about us.
You said that your review is just for American tourists. I want to answer to the whole world.
We had some problem with the WiFi connection inside the room, cause we are changing all the routers with others much more powerfull; that's why you couldn't connect to the WiFi inside the room, but you could freely connect inside the hall of the hotel. However, what you didn't say is that inside the room there was a free access to internet with the cable. I apologize for this temporary inconvenience, but I will assure you that we are resolving definitively the problem.
You said that our hotel is only for richest tourists and our only added value is the location.
The price of our rooms are flexible; you can find a good convenience booking your stay in advance. Our average rate is Eur 120,00 for a double room with continental breakfast, that I suppose is a good price for a high quality hotel.
The hotel is hosted in a historical building (it belonged to a prince, that's why the name), and there are different solutions for our guests (the smaller rooms are 18mq, the largest ones are 40mq). We are in the hearth of Catania, just few steps to Duomo square. All around us there are a lot of examples of Baroque art (Crociferi street) and Roman ruins (amphitheater, odeon, thermal baths). Our highly professional staff is always present to help and support all our guests. We utilize only first choice products for the loundry, the cleaning, the courtesy line, the bar and the breakfast.
I appreciated your words about our location and our breakfast and I hope you will come again visit us soon.

Regards,

Reviewed May 25, 2012

This was an adorable hotel, but we only stayed one night. The room was quite large and the shower was a nice size. The bed was comfortable and very clean. The area was not the greatest, but I was with my husband so I felt fine. It was only about 10 minutes to the airport, so it was very convenient, which is why we originally chose this hotel. If you must go to Catania, give it a try.

2  Thank ConnieB1135
Reviewed May 22, 2012

This hotel was a real gem in a great location. Very close to the Duomo and Piazza which is were you want to be in the city. There is not much else in Catania. A very good choice for one night before our very early flight. The rooms were very clean. The top floor had a nice terrace. The staff was terrific in quickly responding to requests. They arranged for our airport transfers and to be picked up at the Hertz location. You cannot go wrong staying at Il Principe if you have to go to Catania. Catania itself I would not recommend.

1  Thank ERK616