“Good street cafe”

Pasticceria Spinella
Ranked #6 of 34 Bakeries in Catania
Cuisines: Italian, Bar, Cafe, Mediterranean
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Bar scene, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
somerset
“Good street cafe”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

A nice place to sit and watch the world go by whilst enjoying coffee and cakes. The Cannolo di Ricotta were good but not great and the gelato great but expensive. Service is a little stand-offish

• Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
“A real shame”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

What a shame because I can only rate this place on service and not the delicious looking cakes and pasticceria.

Staying at the absolutely fabulous Hotel Una a few doors away from Spinella we decided to venture out for dessert. Upon walking into the shop, the guy behind the counter looked at us and just carried on acting as if he had not seen us! I gave him the benefit of the doubt and continued to wait for him to serve me........he did not. I am a tourist but I speak Italian so I can't say this was anything to do with communication. I believe in giving fair and honest reviews and if I was going to be totally honest I would not even give this a rating of 1 based on his attitude.. We had already had a lovely evening and I was not going to let this glorified service person in a Spinella apron (talk about status tripping in a cake shop!) ruin it for us. The cakes looked fabulous but after standing there like a fool we took our custom elsewhere -infact to the lovely Cafe Etnea a few doors left of Hotel Una which had a lovely selection of pasticceria, coffee and equally nice staff.

2 Thank nomadonthemoveagain
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“puts me off from going to this place”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

were looking for somewhere to eat and popped in to this restaurant ,and first of all I wanted to ask waiter if they had traditional sicilian hot food ,We got an answer from the waiter:I DO NOT SPEAK ENGLISH!!!!So ,we were taken aback and walked away !!put us off straight away!waiter angry and dos not know English .I am very sorry -if they want to have good business with tourists you need to know English ,very unpleasant as the waiter even refused to answer your questions!!!and seemed that did not want to serve us!! DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS PLACE

3 Thank egle206
Naples, Italy
“Amongst the best cannoli and cassatine in Catania”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

Next door to the equally if not more famous Savia, Spinelli is smaller, far less crowded but just as good. The cannoli alla ricotta or pistachio are excellent, as are the cassatine. Brisk but friendly service. Definitely recommended.

• Visited August 2013
Attard, Malta
“Lost its Touch!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

We returend back to Spinella after 4 years and what a setback. The place might have had a physical facelift but food quality has declined. The arancini were too oily and without taste as if they were long prepared. The closed pizzas were on the same wavelength. Standards seem to be declining with waiters not knowing what is on sale or not bothered to sell.

• Visited August 2013