“Very good value and helpful staff”

Katane Palace Hotel
Ranked #13 of 50 Hotels in Catania
New York City, New York
“Very good value and helpful staff”
Reviewed March 1, 2014

I'm giving this hotel and extra star for accommodating me even though I showed up a month before the actual booking dates: yes, they did so for the same low price that I booked the room. The hotel is more of a 3.5 star hotel (perhaps 3 star by American standards) but it does have a very good bar (managed by Elias) with plenty - I mean plenty - of snacks to go with any drink you order for EUR 8 or more, and the restaurant also has a good reputation. Rooms are nice: spacious, well equipped, with nice "classic" interiors although I'd like to see a few colors other than the brownish gold that seemed to dominate my room. Nice outdoor terrace and a good location that is only 300m from the main train station. Even better, they were very understanding when I took the room key (the old fashioned kind) with me to Greece (I mailed it back). Hotel exteriors are very, very, very unassuming so you must keep an eye out for it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Switzerland
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Katane Palace was our choice in Catania, where we decided to spend a couple of days in the beginning of our trip around Sicily.

The good:

- Location was quite good. While it is not in the middle of the action, it is just 10 minutes away from Via Etnea (Giardini Bellini) and less than 10 minutes walking from the bus station. This location meant that the hotel was very quiet. Tip: if you want to get from Catania's airport using puic transportation, take ATM Alibus #457 and get down at Piazza G. Verga (it costs 1 eur per person)

- Our booking included free mini bar consumption, though it was quite basic and restricted to non alcoholic drinks.

- The bathroom looked modern, judging from the overall appearance of the hotel. However, the room's decoration looked -and smelled- old.

The not so good:

- While doing our check-in late in the evening, we found out that a baby cot had not been installed in our room (as per our request). What made it worst was that the person in the front desk said that 'we had to mention this special request in our booking'. 10 seconds later he checked our booking, and he realized that this had been clearly specified. There were no apologies, however, and we were told that 'nothing could be done about it until the following day'.

- The breakfast provided was nothing special. By the second morning, the limited spread was quite noticeable.

- The key provided is huge and it complicates things if you want to keep it when going out. Hotel management should realize that it's time to switch to cards!

In summary: Katane Palace has the potential to be one of the best hotels in Catania. I would consider this hotel if staying again in Catania, but an update in the rooms' decoration and improved attention to customer would be much appreciated. For me this was a 3.5 over 5, but I decided to round down due to the lack of baby-cot upon out arrival, and the attitude of the person at the front desk about this.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Iowa City, Iowa
Reviewed December 25, 2013

Of the 3 hotels we stayed at (others in Rome and Naples), this place was the best.
Staff is very friendly. Clean room. Spacious. The key is substantial! The shower is awesome.
Breakfast food was plentiful and in the two mornings we were there we saw different foods each day, which was really fun. Wished we had a chance to stay here longer - and wish it had a better view of the city also. Otherwise, would highly recommend.

Room Tip: Definitely book here if you are to visit Catania.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shuva R
Timaru
Reviewed December 22, 2013

I stayed here for five nights. Apart from the pricey dinner at the restaurant here, Katana Palace Hotel is actually an oasis for me. The room is spacious. The decor is formal and classical. Colour tones are dark and sombre. I find the switches very difficult to see because they are all dark in colour. The safe provided in the room has a very lengthy instruction to use and so, I gave up. The highlight would have to be the marble clad bathroom. It has got a proper bath, toilet, bidet with all amenities provided. The shower head is of the tropical shower head and the hot water pressure is immediate too! For me, the most enjoyable part of my stay there is having a hot shower daily. WiFi at the hotel is absolutely brilliant. Everything at Katane Palace Hotel is done properly. Nothing is skimmed. The breakfast is yet again one of my favourites. It has got freshly squeezed orange juice, American coffee but you could always ask for freshly made coffee too. It has got a selections of mueslis, pastries, fruit and even salami, cheese for the heavier eaters. In terms of location, it's slightly off from the Central but then again, it's walkable to everywhere too. The bed is seriously comfortable. I have placed tips on the table daily but the cleaners never picked up the money. This is to show you the level of professionalism in this hotel. Being a hotel operator myself, I am rather impressed with it and so, highly recommended. The only improvement that it can look into is to refer to its maintenance list because the deadlock for the door is broken, the shower is broken too. More power points should be made available to keep up with modern time. The compendium in the room should have more relevant information such as mentioning about the positions of supermarkets, restaurants, bars that are worth visiting and that are walking distance from the hotel. Also, to up the stars of the hotel, it should also look into providing safety chain for the door, an eye piece for the door. The front office staff speak general good English and they are friendly enough to assist.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Yerevan, Armenia
Reviewed November 16, 2013

Some things here are plain perfect, like the rooms, spacious and with everything you need (btw, you have free mini-bar, and even if it's just water and a couple of sodas, it's still nice), the service, very efficient and quick. However, there are some minuses too: if you are in one of rooms overlooking the inner courtyard, you might be bothered by the noise of the water pump, the inner courtyard itself could have been a bit better kept than it actually is, and, quite a disappointment, few of my friends felt seek after having a dinner in the restaurant in the hotel, and I personally, decided not too eat the rest of shrimps, when having tried the first one, realized they are just not fresh. So, get a room overlooking the street, and do not eat in the restaurant, and there you go, reasonably priced decent hotel in Catania well worth a visit

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for a week, and it was beyond our expectations. The room was big and very clean, quiet even if it was overlooking the street (we asked for such room). It was close to everything, the bus station, the main attractions, a big market and shopping streets. We found some really nice restaurants and the best place for local Arancini :) I would recommend for all.

Room Tip: Ask a room far from the elevator :)
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Istanbul
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I stayed here as part of a tour. We were able to get to our rooms before the check in time. The rooms were comfortable. However the hotel itself is kind of a maze, there are couple of different sections.
Our room was quiet and comfortable. Its location is a little far from the main tourist attractions but still can be reached via a comfortable 30 minute walk.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends