“Simply excellent”

Ranked #27 of 1,014 Restaurants in Catania
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: On Christmas holidays the structure WILL BE OPENED on MONDAY 'December 19 and 26 2016 . Catania Ruffiana wishes you HAPPY HOLIDAYS !!!!
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Dining at Trattoria Ruffiana is a great experience.It`s a family restaurant and they`ll make you feel like part of their family as soon as you walk in... Next to the warm friendliness, the food is also amazing...Let Marco help you out with the wine pairing and be sure to try out their chocolate cake . According to my chocoholic girlfriend; the best she ever had! We have been there 3 times and our taste buds were every time again amazed!!

There are newer reviews for Trattoria Catania Ruffiana

Reviewed June 27, 2013

You couls almost walk by and not notice this place, but it's worth a detour. Very friendly helpful staff, good food and big, big portions! Lots of locals who seemed to be regulars which is always a good sign.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

I highly recommend this restaurant, 6 of us ate there for a total of 55 euro. Beautifully made and presented pasta dishes, friendly staff and even a complimentary dessert. I would have no hesitation in going back here again on my next visit to Catania.

2  Thank Jonathan B
Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

This is possibly one of the best restaurants I have ever been to and not only have I been to alot of restaurants, I've opened a few myself.

Been working in Italy for a while traveling pretty much everywhere and settled into Catania for a few weeks. Checked into tripadvisor and up pops trattoria ruffiana.

I've been back 10 times and taken friends, family and my better half when visited.

The impressive part is not the extraordinary level of hospitality one finds in this little Sicilian gem but the level of consistency. You go back everytime and it just tastes better. That's why no matter what day you go they are always full in a time when Italy has been hit by a major financial crisis.

Things one MUST try:

- antipasti di pesce freschi
- their famous fresh pasta with Jerusalem artichoke and sea food (to die for)
- their Nero di sepia is one of the best I have ever eaten.

This is the best restaurant in the Catania region - I keep trying others not to be boring but everytime I come out saying - I should have gone to ruffiana

As the owners tell me - sono diventato piu ruffiana di loro.

Do not leave Catania without visiting!

4  Thank Max W
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Found this place after a little wander through the small streets of the city.

Didn't have a reservation but a place was found for us, my husband used his pigeon Italian which did seem to go down quite well with the host he found it quite amusing and had a go at his pigeon English!.
We ordered the mixed antipasto to share and had more than enough. Was very fresh and a good selection. We both had pasta, I had clam linguini and my OH had the seafood special, the chef (I presume) brought us a little dish of broad beans (blanched only) and pecorino (made by him from what I could translate) which was very delicious when combined together. We had the house wine which was very good and very inexpensive.
We didn't have secondi as we were full enough from the starter and pasta.
The host then presented us with a free dessert and we ordered coffee.

In total, the bill for antipasto, pasta for 2, wine, dessert, water, cover charge etc. was 38 euros. We left a large tip and the owners wife questioned it, but they were so kind and the food was good, I know tipping is unusual in Italy but we felt they warranted it. Would certainly return if ever in the area.

2  Thank lynne2012