“Good Food in a Unique Atmosphere”
Review of Polpetteria

Polpetteria
Ranked #152 of 1,050 Restaurants in Catania
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed November 4, 2011

Worth the stop. Meatballs appear to be the specialty but I had an antipasta that was tasty and well presented and the pasta Norma which was very good. How do the Sicillians get the eggplant to taste SO good.
Atmosphere of room is very spare, apparently with intention. Bare white walls and very simple furnishings.
In all, a humble establishment where the emphasis is on the food. Perfect for me, and a good value to boot.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,292)

Reviewed September 27, 2011

Went to this place twice on two consecutive days and greatly enjoyed both times. The food is excellent, creative, and the service is very attentive. Very good choice if you are getting tired of standard Sicilian meals.

Try the vegetable cous-cous and polpette with calamari. The portions are generous (even 3 polpette is a lot) so it's a good idea to share your primi here.

1  Thank neglinka
Reviewed July 27, 2011

food is generally excellent but the meatballs (the house pride) are a wee bit dry and bland. Great service.

Reviewed July 11, 2011

The polpetteria opened around 8pm and we sat outside, as did everyone else. We had a friendly waiter who spoke excellent English (he was from Mauritius). The menu was diverse and we were very happy with our dishes. I ordered a very simple spaghetti dish; the noodles were thick and cooked al dente with a delicious sauce. My boyfriend ordered the chicken and spinach polpettes (large meatballs) and they were incredibly moist and well-seasoned, with a side of grilled vegetables (zucchini, eggplant, and red cabbage(?)). The serving sizes were generous and we had a delicious Italian red wine with dinner. The only (minor) complaint would be that the outdoor seating is basically on the sidewalk with a white tarp blocking off the tables from the cars driving on the small street next to the place. There was also a faucet on the building that many passersby would use for water, and on one occasion, to clean up their hands and face. There isn't much that the restaurant can do about that though. Overall we were very happy with the Polpetteria and would like to visit again before we leave Catania.

Reviewed April 27, 2011

Don't be fooled by the simple decor, this place really knows how to put on a show. From antipasti to dessert every dish was expertly executed and beautifully presented. Both the vegetarian and meat Panzanelle suprised the whole table with not only their taste but the way they looked on the plate. I wholeheartedly recomend the polpette di manzo con agrumi. It was all I could do to stop my friends stealing the food from my fork. The waiter was excellent in his descriptions and really sold the food. His recommendation of the Terra dei sogni wine was spot on for the dishes chosen, so much so we bought a second bottle to take away. Dessert stopped everyone in their tracks and even caused those of us who only ever eat two courses to rethink our policy. All this and it came to a very reasonable price. Not only would I recomend this retaurant to anyone staying in Catania I've recomended it to my wife's Sicilian family.

1  Thank TravellingMatt1973