“Good eats”

Neighborhood: Centro Catania
London, United Kingdom
“Good eats”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

This restaurant recommended by our hotel ( Liberty Hotel). We found it so good we ate there 3 of the nights out of the six we were in Catania. Lovely family run restaurant - Fabio did the waiting of tables and helped by his mum and his dad did the cooking. Excellent food and great value.
Portions were good and starters could really be shared.

• Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Edinburgh, Scotland
“Fab Food”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

This restaurant specialises in seafood. The food is excellent and fresh, and very good value for money. The portions are also very generous - we shared 2 starters (antipasti), in retrospect, perhaps one would have been enough, especially as we were also given a complimentary bruschetta. The staff were friendly, attentive and efficient. This is a must for anyone visiting Catania with a passion for fish.

1 Thank BalkanBetty
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Excellent seafood in a genuine atmosphere”
Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

I have only seen one poor rating for this restaurant, and that must have been caused by a very unusual experience. The rating was done by someone saying to be a specialist in fish. I dare say I am also an expert in seafood quality and I must say that all the positive ratings are right. I had bruschetta with salmon for antipasti and a mixed grilled, fresh fish dish as main course. It consisted of sea bass, swordfish, octopus, squid, shrimp and a roll of baked minced fish. Each and every component of the meal was superb quality, well spiced and very tasty. This is how good seafood should be presented! The fish was prepared at the table before being served by an enthusiastic but still humble waiter. The atmosphere in the restaurant is relaxed although the staff was busy all the time. This is a restaurant to be recommended!

Visited May 2013
Martina Franca, Italy
“Tasty seafood in a casual setting”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This restaurant is on a narrow street just north of the Piazza Manganelli.

The antipasto tutto mare was very good with a wide variety of raw and cooked seafood. I also enjoyed my entree, grilled squid; however, it was quite a large portion, and charged by the kilo. That was my fault for not specifying how many grams I wanted. I'll know better next time to ask for 150 grams of whatever. The house red wine was so-so.

Service was quick but not especially friendly. Our waiter insisted on speaking English, though we spoke Italian. Overall, the food was tasty, service quick and the restaurant was comfortable and casual. It just was not the really friendly and welcoming experience that makes for a memorable evening.

Sydney Australia
“Fabio is a Gem”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Fabio who I think is the owner operates front of house and his parents are in the kitchen. Although completely unpretentious in appearance, the food in my view is superior to those restaurants, mainly in the area around the seafood market which constitute the Catanian equivalent of "fine dining".It is rather cheaper as well.This restaurant appears to be regarded by locals as a very worthwhile restaurant and I agree with their judgement.It has a very mixed crowd throughout the evening although tourists tend to eat earlier. We ate at both styles of restaurants but returned to Il Mare for three more meals and I can confirm that the seafood is uniformly excellent. Meat in Sicily is adequate, not as good as America or Australia, but who would worry because seafood is the area's claim to fame. Fabio speaks quite good English and takes great pleasure in being of service: he frequently recommended cheaper rather than more expensive wines because his knowledge of local wines is clearly superior to ours and often put small sampling plates of food on our table which we probably would not have thought of for ourselves. Also he often brought out at the end of the meal, desert wines, filling glasses to the brim, leaving the bottle AND not charging! It was an absolute treat knowing that at the end of an exhausting day of tourist like things, we could have a superb meal without any apprehension. I would go back in a flash!

• Visited April 2013