“ok for a car if you're staying one night - just don't dare complain :)” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Doubletree by Hilton Olbia

Doubletree by Hilton Olbia
Ranked #6 of 40 Hotels in Olbia
London, United Kingdom
“ok for a car if you're staying one night - just don't dare complain :)”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

The building itself is what you would expect from a "double tree" standard of Hilton - really quite nice apart from the view and location .. it's in the middle of nowhere.

Staying at this hotel would be like eating at fast food restaurant on your first trip to Italy. There are many hotels in the town, right by the bars and restaurants, so I see no reason to stay at this hotel unless you have a car to park or if say you are getting in late and departing early for a flight and do not wish to see the town.

Our experience was a shocker, and I would never ever return to this hotel. I have unfortunately spent 8 months or more a year for the last ten years in hotels on every continent, and can categorically say this is the worst experience ever. Everyone can have a bad day but the arrogance and rudeness of a certain member of staff was worthy of an oscar performance. Now to be fair and to give the benefit of the doubt, perhaps they were having a bad day so obviously not every guest will have our experience.

On arrival, there was a lobby full of people waiting to check in, and it was clear that it was going to be a long wait. Having travelled a long way, feeling rather weary and having spent some time standing and waiting, I moved a couple of chairs from the concierge desk (that was unattended) and brought them nearer to the reception desk. I sat down and waited about thirty minutes before our check in started. My partner organised the check in and eventually we went to the room.

After an hour an a half, I decided to call the manager to mention that the internet was desperately slow. It took ten minutes to open some pages for example. And a decomposed bird on the balcony really should be moved - not a pretty sight. But before bringing these subjects up, I mentioned that it took an hour for check in and perhaps they should think of something to improve the experience for the guests. I was told that this is the best hotel in Olbia and check in has been like this for three months and no one has complained yet. "Well you have a complaint now" I said and suggested for instance, why not seat some guests in the bar and allow them to check in in some kind of order, perhaps even a drink could be offered.

The response was immediately hostile, I was informed about terms and conditions do not allow for free drink. I explained that I accept that and am not asking for free drinks, but the hotel could do something to avoid guests having to wait in the lobby for an hour to check in. I was then informed that check in started at 1500 and was complete at 1517, so 17 minutes is quite quick! I had to explain that this was the length of time of the check in and not the waiting time. And isn't 17 minutes a bit long for a check-in, but the real issue is you could do something to make the long wait more bearable. I tried to explain that I am sure they are not this busy all day long, but if the wait is severe at certain times of the day, how about forgetting about terms and conditions and give some guests a seat in the bar - we would have been happy to pay for drinks while we wait, but didn't want to loose our place in the queue for check in.

Out of nowhere the tone changed from mild rudeness to loud hostility. This manager literally hit the roof and shouted and shouted without allowing me to say a word. If I did I was shouted over. I eventually said "if you don't stop shouting I will put the phone down" The ranting and shouting continued so I put the phone down. We were immediately called back and the phone rang and rang continuously for 5 mins after which I reluctantly picked up and recorded the call. The shouting continued and I asked again "please stop shouting at me". I was told that because I had booked the room on points in peak season I had to be very polite to the staff, and that I must leave the hotel as I have said bad words on the phone and to reception. I asked, please tell me exactly what bad word do you mean as I have not said any bad word and I have not even spoken to reception, my partner did the check in.

Whilst being talked over, I asked at least another ten times what was the bad word? but I just had to wait for the ranting and raving to stop as this question was not answered. Eventually I was told the bad word was "shitting" - I told her I was asking her to stop "shouting" and never said "shitting" - could have been a funny misunderstanding, but it was not at all.

Anyway, we checked out and went to a lovely hotel in Palau that was less expensive but with a warm and charming level of service. Such a contrast, when we arrived the reception was empty, however the receptionist was having a small computer problem .."would you like to have a drink in the bar and we'll check you in" we knew we had made a good choice.

The website for doubletree says "From your arrival to your departure — and everything in between — we’ll go above and beyond to make you feel cared for" and "stay with us and you’ll see how we strive to create a truly rewarding guest experience" Ok, things can go wrong from time to time, but this was an exceptionally bad experience. As well the signs stating EUR 10 fine for this and EUR 5 fine for that lower the tone of the hotel.

In summary, everyone can have a bad day, but if you stay at this hotel, I suggest you don't take any chances - do not dare complain!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
14 Thank global108
Ryan D, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Olbia, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Thank you for your comments. The scene that we saw in reception was a little different from the one you have described, and many guests at the front desk commented on your behaviour.
Thank you anyway for the feedback, kind regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Polish first
Ålesund
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

We stayed here on our honeymoon in October 2012. This was really "our kind" of hotel. Not so many of these in Sardinia/Olbia. The location is a small walk away from the city centre, but we had a rental car, so it was no problem for us. Free and very good parking.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Ryan D, Director of Sales at Doubletree by Hilton Olbia, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
We are glad you enjoyed your stay! See you soon and thatnk you for your kind comments.
Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

Good but not always.
Housekeeping was a high standard with pleasant members.
Good spacious bedrooms.
Reception and Restaurant staff varied from hilton's typically high standards to the mediocre of what appeared to be untrained seasonal staff.
Very nice lobby and bar area.
Free Wi-Fi (slow).
A very nice swimming pool, just a shame it didn't open until past eleven in the morning!
No complimentary water in the room for HHonors Elite Bonus members.
There was a 5 euro fine for a lost room key card.
There was a 10 euro fine for introducing food or drinks into the rooms or pool area.
Strange little rules for a Hilton hotel.
Breakfast was good but could be better (freshly prepared fruits would be an improvement to tinned fruits!)
Overall not a high level Hilton, but we did not pay the high level prices either.
Average / Good.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Martin L
Thank you for your constructive feedback. It helps us to focus on areas that need working on. We hope to see you again soon in Olbia!
Madrid
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

The building is new but in a poor location, not far from the city centre but certainly not on a comfortable walk. The hotel stands in the middle of uncultivated fields in a zone which was probably meant for further development before the recession hit. On the bright side, it's a great location if you use the hotel as a base for car trips. It's close to the city centre, to many restaurants and to the highway and that's exactly why we chose this hotel in Olbia for our stay. Olbia is not a particularly beautiful city, but it's located just on the southern border of the Costa Smeralda (the highway passing just behind the hotel will take you directly there in less than 30 minutes) and 100 km north of the Orosei Gulf and the Gennargentu National Park, where you can make some nice excursions.

The hotel looks very modern, yet the rooms are cosy. The furniture is new and in excellent state, there are plenty of plugs in the room (one in every place you'd like to find one), and the bed is very big and comfortable). I was struck by the quality of the air conditioning system. Besides being controlled by a fully digital panel, it produces slow temperature variations and you don't have that sudden "I'm going to freeze" feeling. In fact, we left it on during the night, mainly as a dehumidifier, and it was exceptionally comfortable. The bathroom had a very nice, multi jet shower, but was lacking a bathtub. The cleanness in all the hotel premises was excellent.

Another thing that struck me positively was the quality of the windows. My room had a small terrace and a sliding window of very good quality. The location is relatively quiet, yet you can easily ear the noise of the cars in the nearby roads. As soon as you closed the window the noise was gone.

The hotel offers free WiFi and, despite what I read in other reviews, it worked nicely with my laptop. I even had a 5 hours business meeting (a video call) and experienced no problem whatsoever. Before having the meeting, for good measure, I asked the reception whether I could connect using the ethernet plug in the room: I was offered a network cable and was not charged any additional fee. I had some sporadic problems connecting to the network from my smartphone but I could not determine if the problem was limited to the brand and OS of my phone (which not always handled correctly the proxy login page).

The breakfast was good and varied: it featured a variety of confectionary products (including the italian croissant with jam filling), more typical continental breakfast dishes (eggs, bacon, sausages, cheese, yoghurts, etc.) and fruit (both fresh and canned: the fresh ones very good but the choice was limited). You can prepare your own coffee at a self service machine (freeze-dried coffee and milk) or you can ask the staff to prepare you one.

The hotel has got a nice outdoor swimming pool but I never used it.

The personnel was always very attentive and proactive.

Conclusions.
This hotel is perfect as a base because of its location: close to the airport, very near to the important highways, close enough to the city centre if you want to have a walk and very comfortable to reach. Don't expect a resort: I noticed an important part of the guests were aircrews, and the remaining ones left at the morning to return only at night. If you're looking for a hotel in which to spend your holidays, look elsewhere and, to be fair, in that case you probably wouldn't be staying in Olbia, either.

Room Tip: The hotel building is cylindrical and there's no nice view from any of its sides.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank emcrisostomo
Thank you very much for your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed the hotel and I am sure we will see you again in the future!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

really calm stay, but the location shows its clearly built for business travellers, the view isn't terrific and getting there by public transport got a bit confusing. the service was really good, especially since we didnt speak a word of italian and Sardinia really dont want to speak english

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank thebellower
Thank you for your comments, glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Lancashire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

A good hotel geared for the quick turnover business market i.e. Flight Crews . It pays lip service to the tourist. With no promotion of excursions etc. There seems to be one person who has the car hire contract for the hotel and he let us down. The hotel has been a victim of the recession because it is built in an area that was obviously earmarked for development but wasn't. Olbia itself is 20 mins walk away, either walking around the bay or over the railway line or five minutes in a taxi which costs anything between £15 -£20 (really). The catering, apart from breakfast which could be so much better with a fresh fruit salad rather than tinned pineapples and peaches, is good. On the plus side at breakfast although they have an adequate coffee machine you can have coffee made for you. The staff are very attentive and in the evening you can dine out around the pool. With a bit more chef control the food would be excellent

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

3 Thank jefunt
Ryan D, Director of Sales at Doubletree by Hilton Olbia, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you for your feedback on the hotel, we take all of our guests opinions seriously as we are trying to better our services every day. Hope to see you again soon.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

As said before WiFi(hotspot) was a challenge. I tried to imagine a business man staying there. Anyway, the room was spacious and clean, even though the cleaning lady was not attentive to details. If you are expecting a room with a view, forget it. The Hotel is too close to the airport and loads of beautiful beaches. All within a 30 minutes drive. The city centre is small and if you love Italian food than it will be fine. but if you want to change it for a day, than you lost. The restaurant at the hotel was really good compared to others that we visited. At the pool there two things that really needs attention. 1- Far too many bees making impossible to eat anything and the guests that leave their towels at the easy chairs making it hard for others to enjoy and relax. Friendly staff but I was not offered the cookie at my arrival and had to ask one for my daughter.
To be fair we did have a great time!

Room Tip: Higher floors will have a decent view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Zutphen89
Thank you for your constructive comments. This feedback is greatly appreciated! We hope to see you soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Olbia
Jazz Hotel
#7 of 40 in Olbia
Airone Hotel
Airone Hotel
#1 of 21 in Baia Sardinia

Been to Doubletree by Hilton Olbia? Share your experiences!