“Excellent location and Congenial Hosts”

Il Giardino Segreto
Ranked #70 of 262 Cagliari B&B and Inns
Florida
“Excellent location and Congenial Hosts”
Reviewed September 28, 2009

il Giardino Segreto is located within walking distance to restaurants, shops and points of interest, so you do not need a car. Maurizio and Silvia were warm, friendly and eager to please. Silvia served delicious bread, cakes and yogurt, all home-made. The rooms were very clean and equiped with flat-screen t.v. and mini-bar. The cost was very reasonable. Our hosts were the best feature, outshining the property.

Lodging in Sardinia, for the most part, will not meet the needs of travelers seeking upscale and luxurious hotels and B & Bs.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
West Sussex
Reviewed September 15, 2009

Booked via email direct with Silvia & Maurizio the owners. They replied within 24hours and I could pay a deposit through Paypal or credit card. I chose credit card and they emailed me a copy of the receipt - very impressed. Arrived at Cagliari airport, taxi's lined up outside arrivals, cost 18 euros to get to Il Giardino Segreto. The B&B is well signposted down a little walk way off the main street. Knocked on the door but there was no answer, so I called Maurizio and then a lady appeared. She showed me to my room which was called 'Melograno'. Room looked beautiful, very very clean. Ensuite with shower which was definitely powerful, sachets of shampoo and shower gel. Room had LCD TV with Sky, minibar, telephone, air con, hair dryer, info on Cagliari including a street map. There was a nice big window in the room which looked out onto a tiny courtyard full of shrubbery, not very picturesque, but was nice to lay in bed at night and be able to look out to the stars. Really was a lovely comfortable room.

Breakfast was served between 7.45-9.30am. Had to give a time for when I wanted breakfast which I wasn't too keen on, when I'm on holiday I don't really want a set schedule. Breakfast didn't disappoint though, all set out on tiny tables which were really sweet. Had fresh coffee, orange juice, homemade yoghurt with local honey, homemade bread with honey, lemon marmalade, butter, and Nutella. Then there was homemade cake which tasted great. I was suitably stuffed ready for the day.

Lots of information in the breakfast room on places to visit, restaurants and bars, tours, and you could also buy homemade lemon marmalade, honey or the typical Sardinian liqueur 'Mirto'. Also had free internet access.

Silvia and Maurizio were on holiday when I stayed there, so I never met them, but Lucel was fantastic. Very helpful and recommended a few things to see and do. She spoke a bit of English but we communicated mostly in Italian, gave me some good practice. As a solo traveller it was nice to have a friendly person to talk to when the city hadn't been so friendly to me in the evenings. Very bizarre experience which I've not experienced anywhere else in Italy, but I struggled to get a table at a restaurant in the evenings. Restaurants clearly had tables free but when I asked for a table for 1 they just said no. Whether it was because they didn't think they would make enough money from me as opposed to a couple or group I really don't know. But the last night I chose not to put myself through the frustration and spent a nice comfortable evening in my room with my favourite Prosecco from the minibar, some snacks and a good film.

B&B is well placed in the city, I visited the Orto Botanico (Botanical Gardens) which is on the same street, 3 euros to get in. Easy 3 mins walking distance to the main Piazza Yenne. Shops, restaurants and bars all close by. Marina district very busy, and constantly pestered by North Africans trying to sell rubbish (a 6 pack of tissues! why?!), really annoying when you're trying to relax outside a bar. Also noticed as a solo female they pestered me more and I had to say 'No' about 5 times before they would leave me alone, but if a guy said no to them they walked off. The best part of the city for me was the Castello district, narrow cobbled streets, beautiful views of the city, some beautiful serene bars (recommend Caffe Libarium on Via Santa Croce, panoramic views of city whilst having a great tasting espresso), museums, places of interest and thankfully no street sellers!

Would definitely recommend this B&B for the city, great service, very comfortable, and well located. Bravo!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
melbourne
Reviewed July 26, 2009

Compact B & B with easy walking access to all sites, quiet location a little hidden away, off same steet as Orto Botanico (botanical gardens), best without too much luggage as entrance down a short laneway. Rooms very attractive, comfortable and clean; breakfast simple with fresh home made yoghurt, bread and preserves, great coffee. Delightful owners Sylvia and Mauritzo with young family make you feel most welcome. Free internet access. One delightful larger apartment around the corner but 100 meters walk to breakfast

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Rochdale, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 12, 2009

First Class! Exceptional!
The Secret Garden is a true joy! I stayed here for four nights in July 2009 after a straightforward booking made over the internet (in English). A superb late night welcome at the airport as Maurizio, who, like his wife Silvia, speaks good English, collected me and my luggage then promptly took us to the accommodation in his comfortable vehicle.

The room was delightful and many of the items such as bed head, rug and lamp bases/wall lights are locally made. My room was spacious, light and had remote controlled air conditioning (marvellous!) plus multi-channelled international flat screen TV. Helpful information in the room, plus a mini-bar extended the welcome.

The bathroom facilities were very clean, with a powerful shower, sachets of good quality shampoo & body wash, hairdryer and lovely fluffy towels adding to the feeling of well being. The rooms were thoroughly cleaned each day by a friendly, helpful member of staff who also spoke excellent English.

At breakfast the home made goodies previously mentioned such as yoghurt, jams, bread and cakes with local honey were much appreciated. The hosts were very helpful, producing a wealth of bus timetables, leaflets of local attractions and travel details plus, recommendations for good beaches and places to visit. They even had low priced sun screen and beach towels on sale in case you needed them in the 35C heat. The breakfast area is full of the scent of the dried flowers and herbs on display, plus there is a computer for guests if you wish to check your emails.

The Secret Garden is tranquil, relaxing, well located, just a few minutes from the bus stations, shops and the central square at the marina, with the inspiring botanical gardens on the same street. I would recommend the green open top bus tour from Yenne Sq (about 5 minutes walk away) which I picked up at 10am and paid 10 Euro for a tour which enhanced my knowledge of this beautiful city.
Highly recommended and would definitely return to Il Giardino Segreto

Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Wales
Reviewed June 26, 2009

What an excellent B&B! My friend and I arrived in Sardinia long after the buses had stopped running, but Maurizio was more than hapy to come and pick us up from the airport. The room was lovely; very clean and spacious, and equipped with a mini bar and air con. Perfec for the hot weather.

Breakfast consisted of homemade bread, cakes, jams and marmalades, all made by Silvia. The hosts were wonderful and very kind, and often suggested where we should go and see. Because of Maurizio's suggestions we managed to see many things that were not listed in the guide book, such as traditional Sardinian singing in one of the oldest churches in Sardinia.

The B&B was well situated in the old part of town, within 5 minutes walking distance of the centre of town and Piazza Yenne. Although the B&B is situated in the centre, the noise levels are in fact very quiet. Nightlife in Cagliari is well worth making the effort to stay up for, with amazing cocktails and live music played in the bars.

All in all, this was an excellent holiday destination which was enhanced by the welcoming and helpful B&B owners. An excellent time had by all.

Diolch yn fawr!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Warrington
Reviewed June 12, 2009

We stayed at Il Giardino Segreto for 4 nights in May and had a wonderful time. We arrived extremely late at night, yet Maurizio was waiting for us when we arrived. Maurizio and Silvia were both wonderful hosts, ensuring that we felt very welcome and even going so far as to offer us a lift to the bus station with our luggage when we left. On arrival, the first thing that hits you is the wonderful scent of flowers as you enter the B&B. Our room was clean, comfortable and tastefully decorated with some nice Sardinian touches. It was on a split level and had a lovely bathroom. There was much needed air-con (we arrived during a mini heatwave!) There was a mini-bar and Sky TV which meant I was able to enjoy Sex and the City, The League of Gentlemen and The Fast Show (surrealy!) when we got back late at night.
Breakfast was lovely! There was yoghurt and a Sardinian cooked honey, cake, bread and marmalades and jams - all hommade by Silvia who is a marvellous cook!
We loved Cagliari and had a great time here. The B&B is ideally located for walking into the city and we were able to eat out every night at a variety of restaurants and walk back. At breakfast Maurizio would make recommendations for places to go and eat, or sightseeing.
We had a lovely stay here and would definitely love to return!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Palo Alto, CA
Reviewed June 9, 2009

This is as good as the reviews say it is. Lovely people who are full of information. They helped us find good seats for the Sant Efisio procession (Festival is May 1-4 and highly recommended). The rooms are large and carefully planned so they work. The location i s central for sights in the old part of town. The taxi driver had no problems finding the hotel and the I spotted their sign right away because of the photo posted.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple