“Quality hotel in central location”

Hotel Regina Margherita - Cagliari
Ranked #5 of 33 Hotels in Cagliari
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Large, well planned lobby area with friendly receptionists. We didn't eat at the hotel so can't comment on the food nor the bar.
I had a large room on the 5th floor which had great black-out curtains and the bed was very comfortable. Bathroom was very nice with a shower enclosure with jet sprays from almost every angle! No bath though which was not an issue for me. Room was quiet and no noise from adjacent rooms.
We found it very difficult to navigate around the city on arrival by car as there are very few street signs and the city loves to send you on one-way streets all over the place. We ended up parking in a free car park which was about 10 minutes' walk from the hotel to the south-east on Viale Bonaria. I'm not sure if the hotel has its own parking anyway.
Hotel is well-located for the main sights and plenty of good restaurants including one which we ate dinner at which is just a few minutes walk south of the hotel under some brown canopies...I can't recall the name.

Room Tip: 5th floor was quiet. The road looks as though it could be busy as the hotel is central so try for a...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
renato969, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Regina Margherita - Cagliari, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Dear Sir,

Thank You very much for your feedback. We do have a car park, which is actually free for all our guests, and it’s just under floor. I’m really sorry You didn’t have the chance to use it; I suppose You did not mention to reception that you arrived by car.

I hope You will come, and visit us a second time

Front Office Desk

Reviewed September 19, 2012

The hotel is about ten minutes walk from the bus and railway stations.

There are plenty of restaurants and bars in the surrounding streets and all of the sights are within easy walking distance.

The hotel is a typical four star business hotel with large comfortable rooms.
Breakfast was served in what felt like a conference room and as such it was a little cramped. There was a good selection of food including hot foods, cereals and breads.

There is an internet connection in the room via a cable (not much use for iPad users!). However, there is free wifi in the lobby which is large and spacious with plenty of sofas and chairs.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your time in writing this feedback. We always read really carefully all feedback our guests live on trip advisor. It’s therefore a pleasure to announce You that in few weeks we will have wi-fi connections also in the rooms.

Front Office Desk

Reviewed September 17, 2012

This hotel is within walking distance 10 minutes of the rail and bus stations and there is parking near by. It is clean and airconditioned but compared with British and American standards is more 3 star facilities than 4 star mainly due to the quality of the rooms. The bar area is not manned all the time even though in a central location. So you have to hunt for someone to servce you coffee or more.

The staff particularly reception however make all the difference as they go out of their way to provide you with help and information so you can make the best of your time in Sardinia.

Breakfast was good with an average choice of bread, cakes, fruit, meat and yogurt, but the layout and repelensihment of the area was below standard. T~he lift takes a max of 3 people and it is 5 floors so be prepared to wait a while or for more of the party to walk.

It was not expensive at £100 a night for the room and a good place to stop off at the start of your travels.

Chris

Room Tip: ask the reception to put you in a room which meets your needs ie views, large bathroom etc as they...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
renato969, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Regina Margherita - Cagliari, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Dear Sir,
We want to thank you for the time you dedicated to write your review about our hotel. All your impressions about our structure and staff will be taken in serious consideration, as we think is very important to improve our service.
We hope you will come to visit us again.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

First impression on arrival was very off-putting. Receptionist emerged from back office and was sour to the point of rude and very unwelcoming. He gave the impression he couldn't be bothered speaking to us. He grudgingly produced a city map and when asked to suggest restaurants he shrugged and said try Via Napoli - a 15 minute walk away when we discovered an excellent restaurant less than 5 minutes walk. He didn't know if the tourist information centre was open - he ought to have done! We asked about access to the garage but he was more interested in conversing with an Italan guest behind us. We were very annoyed with his attitude. In fact the reception desk was never manned during our 3 night stay and all reception staff emerged from the back office after ringing the bell. However, our suite was spotless, very comfortable and spacious with a roomy ensuite and we couldn't fault our accommodation. The breakfast room resembled a school canteen but there was an excellent choice.

Room Tip: Worth paying for a suite
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
renato969, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Regina Margherita - Cagliari, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Dear Sir,
We really want to apologize for what has happened with the reception desk: the receptionist of course is the first impression a guest receive of the hotel and any time a host do not receive a good impression this mean that we are not doing our job properly. I have to consider though that the suggestion he gave You was really good, via Napoli is really 5 minutes distance walk from Viale Regina Margherita and there are in that street some of the most popular restaurants in town. As a matter of fact is very difficult to suggest a restaurant around our area because most of them are really good.
We thank you for the suggestions You gave us and We hope to see You again in Cagliari.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

Positive: central location (everything is in walking distance), clean rooms, great massage shower (but far to small, you will be hitting the doors all the time with your ellbow), some staff try hard to go the extra mile, good breakfast (if you like italian breakfast even better than T-Hotel, as they have a lot more different types of brioche and the cappuccino is better too).

Negative: some staff speak no english or any other language than italian, no bus tickets on the reception, our check out was quite slow because one of the two computers were broken (things like that can happen though).

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Sir,
Thank you very much for your review. I know the language is sometimes a limit, especially when you try to speak more than one language. New generation are improving in that, but is also true that even Italians abroad have many times problems to find receptionists that can speak proper Italian, even in 5 stars hotels!
I can say that managements, in All the hotels of Cagliari are trying to improve more and more the service to guarantee very high hospitality standards, each one with honors or faults. But in general Cagliari is doing is best to become an interesting tourism location.
We thank You for the suggestions You gave us really important for us

Reviewed August 11, 2012

The location is ideal since it is within walking distance of almost all the attractions and restaurants. Upon arriving, a bell hop snuck up behind my colleague and grabbed her bags out of her hands, it startled her, and he insisted we all cram into one elevator together. To say the least, my colleague did not give him a tip. When i rolled back the bed covers, I found a rather (5" diameter) spot on the sheets. A blind man could see it. I complained and they changed the room immediatly. I should say that both my colleague and I speak Italian. The rooms are ok in size but the shower is a squeeze. I hate that. And I am slim. No balcony and the view was of another wing of the hotel in front. The staff was from friendly to rude. For example, I was working on my lap top one evening in the lobby and needed an adapter to plug into the german style plug near the sofa. They found one for me immediatly. The bell hop and one female desk clerk, asking directions - she couldn't be bothered, being the most rude. The morning we checked out, the clerk tells us we did not pay. I said we paid the night before so there would not be any delay in check out in the morning. He delayed us long enough to make us late for our client. I would go back if I had to but would rather not.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business

Dear Sir,
We really apologize for the inconvenient You and your colleague had in hotel and We really thank You for all the remark You made about the service.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

The Regina Margherita is a very efficient, comfortable business hotel, in a very good location in Cagliari. It is looks brand new. The rooms are of excellent size (specially for Italy and Europe in general). Everything smells of new, and the bathroom is spotless and also of a normal size.

The rooms have a very fast ethernet connection (and I think that in the lobby you can get free wireless). My pet peeve with hotels is the lack of a kettle + coffee + tea combination in the room. But this being Italy, you have to understand that. On the excellent breakfast buffet, you get freshly made expressos and cappuccinos, and frankly, a kettle and a Nescafe would just not sound right after that.

Most people travelling through the south of the island you need a stop over in Cagliari. Even if you don't need one, it is always a welcome break if your plane arrives late. Cagliari is not as bad as some reviews suggest. The town has its charms on the old part, and good pizza at night. The hotel is very near everything worth seeing. I did not rented my car until I was ready to leave Calgari, and I think it was a wise choice, as the city is not very driver friendly.

A few service notes about Cagliari:
1. The rental car stand is off the airport, near the parking. The best rates are by far with Auto Europa. Unfortunately you pay a price for that: I queued for one hour to get my car.
2. Cagliari airport is small. The departure queue, on the other hand, is huge. Don't risk being late, because there are only 3 metal detectors, and on a July afternoon, it will take you a good hour to move from check in to the boarding gate.
3. There is a very good bus service from/to the airport. It leaves from the bus company terminal, which is across the rail station. It is a fairly short walk from the hotel, but in the summer, it will feel like miles. The taxi to/from the airport costs around €20, while the bus is € per person.
4. You can catch a comfortable bus to almost anywhere. Problem is, once you get to your destination, you will most likely need a car to explore the rest of the island. As much as I hate saying, I think renting a car is a most for the full Sardegna experience.

Room Tip: I believe this is a very standardized hotel, with all the rooms roughly the same. I stayed in a non...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jcn_uk

Dear Sir,
Thank You for the time You spent on writing this review, as You gave a lot of good tips for all travelers. I just want to update on transfer information’s. Taxi price can be in between 18 and 20 Euros depending which part of the town are you going. Our hotel is one of closest one been 5 minutes from the port entrance of town. Bus shuttle at this stage is 4 Euros but bus company change the amount pretty much every year. For night drive taxi takes a 10% more, white shuttle bus stop around 22, 30.