“Convenient but cold and very noisy!”
Review of Aurora

Aurora
Ranked #23 of 34 Hotels in Cagliari
Reviewed January 21, 2011

Clean and large rooms just near the old city walls, very convenient location. However, very cold rooms with no heating and very noisy rooms facing the street due to pedestrain traffic and morning markets. Included breakfast was only a stale croissant and coffee.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank jbootsaus
There are newer reviews for Aurora

Reviewed October 19, 2010

Very centrally located hotel with many bars and restaurants on the doorstep. Lovely old
building but no parking nearby. Closest place to park is a pay carpark up 100 steps to the back of the hotel, though if you time it right you can park at the hotel end of the car park on the road for free!

We arrived about 11pm and I think the staff stay late to give you the room keys etc. The
following night the reception was closed in the evening and all the staff go home, leaving the guests to fend for themselves (which is no problem!). Staff are very helpful though.

The rooms are very "rustic", almost hostel like. The big wooden doors don't quite shut
properly and we were concerned you can just pull them open and walk into the room. We'd paid for en-suite but the toilet seat was on the floor! We mentioned it to the guy on the desk who gave us the 1st night for a cheaper price and fixed it in the morning.

Room has aircon and a table and chairs, overall a good size.

The only real problem I had with this hotel was the noise from outside. There are a couple of bars right below which don't seem to shut, and the street seems to be the in place for drunks to hang out too. There was a crowd of 100 or so people right outside, so it was very noisy until about 5am. Then the market deliveries start so it really is non stop noise. Even with the double doors onto the small bancony closed it is VERY noisy. I would ask for a room at the back if I stopped there again. Definately take earplugs!

Also the breakfast was not good. Just 1 small pastry and a cup of tea/coffee at a deli round the corner. 2 items instead of 1 would be sufficient, we always had to buy extra ourselves. Bearing in mind the price we paid for the hotel I think they could be more generous with the "breakfast".

Overall it was quite a nice hotel, I'd call it a 2 star, though a bit overpriced in my opinion
for the hostel feel.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Smurfmeister
Reviewed September 15, 2010

My husband and I had uncharacteristicly different opinions about this place, where we spent one night in July, 2010. He loved the friendly helpful staff, the clean quiet room, the great location in the middle of the city and the very reasonable price for Sardinia. While I agree with all that, I had trouble with the chipped paint and beat-up furniture and a slight mildewed damp smell which gave me allergies, even though I know it's probably to be expected in a building that's hundreds of years old. He'd give it 5 stars, I'd give it 3, so I split the difference. It was fun to be in the center of town but be aware, this is a basic hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Amelia2
Reviewed August 23, 2010

I stayed here for 5 nights with my boyfriend. Rooms are basic but comfortable. The location is excellent. There are two excellent bars right outside the bed and breakfast. Restaurants and shops are right on the doorstep too. The staff were friendly and helpful. Overall a great experience- would definatly recommend.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dublinemq
Reviewed July 4, 2010

The location of Aurora is really good. We only stayed here for one night. The room is rather small and a little old. The bed was small and the mattress was bigger than the bed itself... Breakfast is in a coffee place nearby.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MissFernweh
Reviewed June 13, 2010

Great location, great staff, excellent value for money!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank quattromonti
Reviewed October 21, 2009

This was my first trip to Cagliari. I'd researched places to stay, and prefer privately owned, smaller places, so Albergo Aurora hit all the right buttons, although I thought it was TOO big from their website!

Cagliari is a small town, albeit the largest on Sardinia. You can walk all the parts you need of Cagliari, and the bus system is tops, so even the hills can be dealt with this way.

Aurora is a tad off Piazza Yenne, which is PERFECT location for people watching, gelato, coffees, dinner, everything! So you are close to everything day and night, and that is not like downtown NYC or Paris - this Sardinia! Things are at their own pace.

Nearby is Via Manno, a pedestrian street of shops and commerce, and all things to see are close to Piazza Yenne.

I had a room in the back, room 203, and stayed 3 nights. Everyone involved with Aurora was friendly, pleasant and smiling! (Even when I came in at 11 pm upon my arrival.) My room was a bit smaller (I had a single, but a double bed all the same) and I loved the room. Wood ceiling, ensuite bathroom/shower. The view from my window was Elephant Tower - brilliant when lit up at night! I too agree with the other traveller, the back is quieter, but you give up the balcony view of the Piazza. The hotel has about 12 rooms on 2 floors, and the reviewer who complained about stairs apparently hasn't travelled in Europe much! This is NORMAL! There are commercial businesses on the ground floor. Besides, stairs are good for you.

I peeked into the other rooms on the 200s floor whilst they were vacated/cleaned - larger and brilliantly painted. All were lovely, indeed. My room had a split unit heat/Air Con (October is not a/c months anyhow) - I think they all had them. I reserved through email with the hotel itself and paid single rates.

I loved the rooms and building - so well done, so old but so well done - I felt as if I went back in time, complete with BBC World and a shower.

The 'breakfast' is Sardinian-style - they don't eat breakfast like Americans or Brits - a pastry (or non-sweet bread) and coffee, lots of black, steamy coffee! Then a late afternoon lunch, never hurried, a siesta and then out for the night of people watching, dinner, wines and more coffee. That is the life, and Aurora is perfect location for IT ALL.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo