TripAdvisor
Post
Inbox
Search
Review Highlights
Fantastic Hike Along the Via Cava!

My wife and I recently enjoyed a guided tour of the Via Cava from Pitigliano to Sovana in Tuscany... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
Kuner3
An Amazing Holiday !

Reviewed October 12, 2019
salzawales
WAles,UK

All reviews wine tasting pitigliano cava etruscan trekking paths hike roberto sardinia
Selected filters
Reviewed October 12, 2019

I was inspired to explore the Etruscan paths of Tuscany after reading an article in the Guardian last April. The photograph of the steep walls of tufa and winding path was enticing..... I was not disappointed. After stopping off for a visit to Roma on the way it was easy getting the train down to Capalbio the next day. Some of our lovely group came from the UK by train via Milano which is good to know for further trips with Walk ItalyTours without the air miles. We piled into two minibuses and started getting to know each other, then the bus stopped - we all piled out - to be surrounded by the most wonderful fragrance of Acacia and a jaw-dropping view of a sunlit medieval Pitigliano standing high on its hilltop. It was a stunning moment and introduction to Tuscancy! Particularly as we knew this was one of our overnight stops to come. This turned out to be just the first of many stunning moments. We discovered why Roberto had sent information about an intriguing castle at our first overnight stop. We were actually staying there! We were all gob-smacked and over the moon with our wonderful rooms with views over age-old terracotta tiles cascading like a waterfall below. We were welcomed by the owner with our first taste of what became a theme for our group.....volcanic wine: wine rich in minerals. It was a wonderful start to our holiday and the surprises just kept coming, one after the other. We started our first Via Cava the next morning under a direct thunderstorm which made our introduction wholly gothic and exciting and weirdly dry. Dark, sinuous paths through steep walls of tufa....... then of course the Tuscan sun came out and we were soon at a wine tasting which was an outstanding experience due to meeting another owner Claudia. (Roberto is very well connected!). It was lovely sitting in her comfortable house mid walk learning all about volcanic wines and drinking them of course..... She enriched our experience of walking by explaining that the tufa we were walking through had fallen 200,000 years ago - and this kept my mind in a state of wonder for the rest of the walking. Don't hesitate to book on this holiday! The walking was reasonably easy - I am 65 - although I needed a hand here and there after the wine tasting ho ho. We were a very jolly band of nine, enjoying our lovely evening dinners all arranged by our host and deviser of the tour, Roberto. This was the first time I had done a 'linear' walk, i.e. staying in a different place every night and this really added to the wonder of the trip - one didn't know where one was going to end up, and as we quickly knew to trust Roberto with Everything we all enjoyed this aspect very much. All accommodations were amazing in their own way - from a castle bedroom, to a charming village room, to the last two nights at luxury seaside hotels - the sparkling turquoise sea being right outside the window ! We all loved Giglio Island and this was the perfect end to a perfect holiday: gorgeous warm clear sea, laid back ambience, more wine....... more gelato....... one further walk for those that wished to, and beach enticing those that didn't......
This is a holiday rich in experience - I felt amazing by the end !
TIP: Travel Light in boots and socks you trust and leave the rest to Roberto :-)
Its very easy to visit Florence, Siena or Roma on the way or way back.
Buon viaggio!

Date of experience: October 2019
WalkItalyTours, Owner at WalkItalyTours, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Amica carissima.....it is difficult to remain tuned after your comments and exhaustive summary of our 6 days tour.
We started with rain, shepherd dogs, lightings, Etruscan tombs and a lot of fun.....
Thank for your comments. I do look forward to having you again with us in Prosecco Land, Vinegar and Parmigiano tour or Sardinia.

You made my DAY
Abbracci from
R

Reviewed June 13, 2019 via mobile

This is a great adventure the whole family can enjoy. Roberto was very knowledgeable and my kids had a great time with the hike and all the caves. The experience was just as described in his website and exceeded expectations. I would highly recommend this tour when in Tuscany. It was nice to get away from the crowds as we were the only few on these paths.

Date of experience: June 2019
WalkItalyTours, Owner at WalkItalyTours, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2019

Thank you Brett for your comment on our tour in Pitigliano. I am happy you like it. I was concern from the variety of ages: your kids, 10 years and your Dad 70. However, it seems that the all day runs smoothly! All the best. R

Reviewed April 28, 2019 via mobile

We spent last week 5 days in Tuscany amazing trekking. The organization was perfect as well as the choice of itinerary, included historical places and wineries. Excellent the food and accomodation and last but not least Roberto, our skilled guide.

Date of experience: April 2019
1  Thank glorialuigiac
WalkItalyTours, Owner at WalkItalyTours, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2019

Hi Gloria, you and Rinaldo were superb travelers. As my friend said: "there is no travel without travelers". The distance we made per day (+/- 15 km /day) was perfect. Looking forward to meeting you again. Roberto

Reviewed October 9, 2018

Roberto and his wife Julia were awesome. We walked through the Etruscan paths that were cut out of the volcanic rock some 2700 years ago was like walking through time. Then lunch and a quick tour of Pitigliano, another trip through time, this time only 700 years or so. It was a amazing day and I'm so thankful that we did it. Roberto then set us up for a wine tasting at a local vineyard. (it didn't open for an hour). Can't wait to try another WalkItaly Tour the next time we are in Italy.

Date of experience: October 2018
1  Thank Dave D
RobertoC8071, Owner at WalkItalyTours, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2018

Thank Dave for your review! Maria Giulia and I tried to organize our walking tour with care and attention: it seems that we did a good job.
The sun in October was helpful to appreciate the place and the beauty of arriving autumn. I am sure that when you will open the bottle of Ciliogiolo that you tasted in Sassolungo farm you will remember us. All the best and greetings to Wendy.
Roberto and Maria Giulia

Reviewed February 11, 2018

Last May 2017 we participated in a hiking tour organized by Roberto.
May is the best season to hike in Sardinia: it is not yet too hot for walking and nature is just wonderful!
Roberto well organized this trip: transport from and to the airport of Cagliari (south Sardinia), accommodation, food … Our trip was great, with lovely walks and lots of breathtaking views on the limestone mountains of the area. There are lots of shepherds (mainly sheep and goats), which still use traditional huts and make excellent cheese. Talking about food: highly recommended first course of the Ogliastra area: culurgionis. It is a kind of ravioli, filled with a mix of pecorino cheese, mint and mashed potatoes. Local red wine: Cannonau. Strong and tasteful.
Will come back!

Date of experience: May 2017
1  Thank Inge09
Roberto C, Owner at WalkItalyTours, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2018

Thank Inge for your post. I remembered that we discussed lengthyll the organisation of this trip since you asked me many questions about walking difficulties, weather conditions (may too hot ?), accomodation, food, etc. All the questions are legitimate since you are coming from belgium. By the end of the trip you and your group were happy and this is a reward for me! Come again. Best from Roberto