“Fabulous food with a friendly host”

Ristorante da Monica e Ahmed
Ranked #228 of 1,023 Restaurants in Cagliari
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Monica & Ahmed 's Seafood Restaurant & Bar provides sophisticated casual dining and features fresh wood grilled seafood.•Voted Best Seafood & Voted Best Outdoor Dining.Located at Corso Vittorio Emanuele II, 119, 09100 Cagliari, Sardinia, Italy . Our location is trendy casual. The restaurant features a unique, with lighted bar with sidewalk café that is heated and enclosed during winter months. The coastal-inspired décor uses hardwood floors, brick walls, and open clapboard-style wood ceiling treatments that are familiar in Italy.Monica & Ahmed 's is best known for wood-grilling its fish and seafood; a natural, flavorful, and clean cooking style. This cooking method, a Southern tradition, adds a mild-smoked flavor to each seafood dish. Whether enjoying a romantic dinner for two or a private event for 50 people, an evening at Blake's Seafood is truly a memorable experience.Call for a reservation today!
Reviewed July 26, 2011

My husband and I went there on our first night in Cagliari after reading the comments from Tripadvisor and we were definitely not disappointed. We were their first customers that night and were welcomed warmly by the owner, Monica. She asked if we love seafood and we say yes and proceeded to show us the wide variety of seafood antipasti dishes. In the end, we decided to let her pick for us and were tabled with 10 different types of seafood antipasti, all of them delicious! After polishing off the antipasti, we were almost full but we were determined to try at least one main dish. A small fish cooked with white wine and olives was recommended to us, which was also superb. The food was so good that during our short trip, we returned to this restaurant on our last night. We decided to order a selected few antipasti dishes, try something traditional and so ordered a clam and pasta soup (a typical Sardinian meal), where we saw some locals eating this on our the first night. We also tried their mussels which were so fresh and a small sea bass, this time cooked in white wine, mushroom, potatoes and some herbs. For both nights, we had a bottle of wine and mineral water and the bill came to around 65 and 75 Euros respectively including tips. This was less than we expected and we found this to be very good value for money. We would definitely recommend Monica’s restaurant to all seafood lovers, topped off with great ambience and a charming and friendly host!!

Reviewed May 22, 2011

Today, Sunday, I and 3 friends have eaten to Monica and Ahmed. We've eaten a lot of very good sea foods and 4 lobsters very fresh. With wine, fruits and "grappa" we payed 140 Euros. Monica is very kind and the restaurant very nice. No problems with the fast to eat. The winw was very good and no too match strong, If I'll come back in Cagliari , I'll come back in the same restaurant!

Reviewed May 20, 2011

I read these reviews and so the four of us tried this restaurant two weeks ago. If you haven't had Italian food and want something quite Italian, then try it. But for those of us who have dined at some of the best restaurants in Italy, it's sub standard and vastly overpriced.

I was frankly amazed that so many people found this restaurant good. What did they enjoy? It cannot have been the very average anti pasti which was very lacklustre at best. My wife found a piece of plastic in her anti pasti. The salted fish speciality was an abomination. It was dry, overcooked and very oversalted. This is not good quality Sardinian cuisine.

The service was perfectly pleasant, if a little slow. The host spoke perfect English, was quite charming. She mentioned that a lot of her customers were visitors to Cagliari, from overseas and from the cruise liners (as we were). After having had the meal, I can see why it isn't a place for locals.

Moreover, my wife was very unwell the next day and could not enjoy our day at sea. We've travelled to Cagliari many times and will make sure we avoid this restaurant

I'm always cautious when the bill just says 50E per person, rather than giving a breakdown of what the mean cost. Believe me, if you spending this month on a meal in Sardinia, it should be a gastronomic delight. This place is definitely not such a place

4  Thank Citsk_11
Reviewed April 26, 2011

You absolutely have to visit this restaurant when in Cagliari. The food is amazing, the service is perfect. Quality of the products is really good, and the recipes are simple though very balanced and fresh.

Go for Monica's suggestion : we had fresh fish grilled in salt, and sea food spagetti, with assorted antipasti with light white wine.

Reviewed August 11, 2010

Wander in (best to book) and be greeted by the effusive (but not OTT) Monica (Ahmed slaves away in the kitchen). She knows enough English to get by, if your Italian, like ours, is non-existent. No menu, Monica will reel off what they have, or you can just leave it to her. We selected Sea Bass, and sat back to have a wonderful selection seafood antipasta brought (about 8 different dishes). We let her choose us some Sardinian wine as well. No mention of the cost, but the bill was 65 Euros for 2. The Sea Bass was fresh, and very tasty. On another night, My wife had lobster, I had red mullet (I think) - again the anti pasta. All delicious, and just 75 Euros. The 3rd visit wa similarly delightful, and cost 70 Euros. Not flashy, basic decor, just great.. Many locals dine here, so they must do something right.
Do visit, if you enjoy fish and seafood, and something a bit different.