“Top Location, Good Value”
Review of Hotel Il Gabbiano

Hotel Il Gabbiano
Ranked #27 of 49 Hotels in Alghero
Wallasey, England
“Top Location, Good Value”
Reviewed July 11, 2007

This review should be read in conjunction with my review of the Hotel Corallo, Isola Rossa, Sardinia. The reason is our holiday to Sardinia from Sat 30 June 2007 (we got the last flight out of Liverpool airport due to the attempted bomb in Glasgow airport) was a two-centre based holiday.
We chose the Hotel Gabbiano based on reviews from Trip Advisor and from photos on Panoramio.com that identified the Hotel’s ideal position and this is its strong point. Arriving at Alghero airport at 2130 hours we did not fancy driving so took a ten minute taxi ride to the hotel. Booking in was completed within a couple of minutes and our room was found to be neat, basic but everything you could want. Oh by the way it cost us £45 for the two of us per night B & B.
The Hotel is right on the main road and a 30 second walk to the right sees you on the prom and the main beach. A further 5-10 minute walk to the left from the hotel is Alghero’s harbour and the old town walls etc. Each night there are market stalls set up along the harbour with a variety of produce. This market was still going strong at midnight for the two nights we were there and is a fascinating hub bub of all things Alghero. Just sit and watch the world go by.
Breakfast is typically Sardinian…..ham…cheese, cereal, yoghurts, bread, honey, jams etc.
To summarise the Hotel Gabbiano is basic but its main selling point is its Location, Location, Location. I would visit again.

• Liked — It's location
  • Disliked — No complaints at all
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank merseygolfnews

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Finnish first
Hertfordshire, England
Reviewed July 3, 2007

It was Ok but hotel in need of a refurbishment.

Stayed June 2007
london,england
Reviewed October 9, 2006

for 40 pounds a night we cant complain. great location, great staff and very clean. yes it is no frills. but what does 40 pounds get you anywhere in england.!!??
the room was cleaned and linen changed every day.
the breakfast was simple but fine
the location is fantastic. 15 mins stroll from the old town and right in front of the beach.
the rooms are basic but ours had television and fan.
the bathroom had clean shower and bday.

for the best beach in alghero go across the road to the beach and walk right for 15 minutes over some rocks. you will find a beach worthy of any caribean island. white sand with a pine forest behind.
alghero is great for a mini break or a beach holiday.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank frankie5
Llanelli, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 5, 2006

I agree with all the other negative ratings that have been posted on the site with regards this hotel. The hotel is basic, overpriced, and certainly not worth a 3* rating.

I recently stayed here for 2 nights at the end of my stay on Sardinia (two weeks earlier I had stayed at the Hotel Continental, Alghero - what a difference in two hotels!). It easy to get to the Il Gabbiano hotel from the airport and, easy to find. The hotel does look nice from the outside but that is about all.

On checking in I was given room 6 (on the first floor), situated to the side of the hotel with views of other buildings, a few cranes and the hotel car park. Looks like a building site when looking out the window. The room could be described as beyond basic - a bit like a prison cell, with an old table, and the doors to the shower and room old - even though the room looks as though it has recently been decorated. The bathroom has recently been tiled, but the shower was a small shower base with a broken shower curtain around it - which did nothing to stop the shower water spreading to the bathroom floor (this type of shower I thought only existed in Greece)! The shower curtain was of pictures of chicken figures taken from a cartoon! I went to reception after about 15 minutes of arriving at the hotel, asking to be upgraded to a sea view room (to which I was willing to pay the extra charge for this) but was informed by the male receptionist that this was not possible, as the hotel was fully booked. During my two night stay the hotel did not seem full at all, and I believe that this was a lie of the receptionist! The female staff are polite but the male staff are rude!

The noise from the hotel during the day was terrible. There was ongoing building work being done, this was not mentioned to me when I booked my stay. I would agree with the travellers remark of 4 July 2006, about the loud banging noise. Also the noise from above and neighbouring rooms was horrendous! I didn't find the room at all comfortable to sleep in, and awoke a few times during the two nights of my stay - either with the furniture being moved in other rooms, or the sound of an Air Conditioning machine in someone's room automatically switching on and off at intervals.

Just a word of warning to anyone thinking of booking this hotel through a third party booking agent, to check the "small print", as these sites mostly sell standard rooms - which mean that the rooms are very basic indeed. You can hire Air Conditioning if you book these rooms, but remember that you have to pay 10 Euro's per day for this privilege!

The breakfast was a basic continental style one, and during my stay the guests were taking their breakfast immediately next to the reception desk area. There looked like there could have been a breakfast room, but I don't know the reason as to why this wasn't being used. The breakfast area that I used during my stay was very cramped indeed.

The hotel does offer a free car park for its guests, but I should like to say that the entrance is narrow, and is situated directly on the main road and right on top of traffic lights - so entering and leaving the car park can be very dangerous at busy times of the day.

I was suprised to learn when arriving at the hotel that it was not possible to pay by Credit Card. Surely this should be told to the customer when confirming a booking, either directly with the hotel or through a third party booking agent. It is a bit inconveniencing to find out this when checking into the hotel!

I was shocked to read the traveller's review dated 27 June 2006, with regards the promemade - it looks as though all work on this has finished as I did not see any work taking place when I was there, and most parts remained unfinished!

The room does have some strict policies for guests which are placed on the notice board, near to the reception area (just outside the lift). I noted 6, and they are given below:-

"We inform the guest that the room must be left before 10 am. of departure day. After this time an extra rate of 10 Euro's per hour or fraction must be paid. After 1.30 pm. the whole daily room rate will be charged."

"We inform our guests that the products of Breakfast must be taken in Breakfast room, otherwise will be considered 'extra' and debited on the bill."

"We kindly ask our guests to leave the rooms within 11 am. during their staying to let us make the daily cleaning of them. Thank you."

"We inform our guests that it is not possible to pay with Credit Card."

"We ask the kind guests to extinguish the air conditioning before to leave the room for the daily cleanings. Thank you from the staff of the rooms."

"Kind guest The room from reserved by you is a 'standard' room and does not include service of air conditioning. Such serviceis 'extra' and it's cost payment in advance of Euro 10.00 per day. If you want this service for all the stay, apply to reception. Many thanks."

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Majority of things!
  • Tips/Secrets — These are given on my review.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
3 Thank Andrew O

Travelers are raving about these Alghero hotels

London
Reviewed September 23, 2006

We only stayed for one night after a late flight arrival. For this it was perfect as a quick drive from the airport and easy to find. Staff were ok but didn't go out of their way to help when we arrived in the pouring rain and didn't know where to park.

Would be disappointed if this was our accommodation for a week as it was very basic, on a busy road and the beach opposite is quite smelly. Even though it is an easy walk to the old town there are much nicer hotels for the same price in better locations with much nicer rooms.

• Liked — Easy to find from the airport
  • Disliked — A bit too basic for a longer stay
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
3 Thank Fluz
barcelona
Reviewed August 17, 2006

If you ever travel to Alghero, I strongly recommend you the "HOTEL IL GABBIANO.

I don't like big hotels with hundreds of rooms, so the first reason
why I chose this hotel was because I saw it had small dimensions. And it was a good choice! ". First of all, I think it has the best position in town: in front of the beach and about 10/15 minutes on foot from the harbour and the historial center, where you arrive walking along the sea promenade (Passejada Barcelona).

The staff is really gentle and make you feel at home up from your
arrival. Rooms are wide and clean and, if you stay in a panoramic one
(as I did), you have a wonderful view of Capo Caccia from the balcony.

Breakfast buffet is very complete, with a wide selection of different
food and drinks.

Another important thing if you travel with car is the private parking,
free of charge.

And last but not least: the relationship between quality and price is excellent!

P.S. This is a copy of a previous report of the 10th of August. I repeat it as I think I didn't send it the right way, so you haven't probably received it. Sorry for inconveniences.

• Liked — The hotel position and the kindness of the staff
  • Disliked — The hotel has no restaurant
  • Tips/Secrets — Just behind there is a big supermarket when you find anything, even cooked meals!
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Haddock
london, england
Reviewed July 3, 2006

We arrived late in the evening weary from a long journey. From the outside the building looks quite nice, but the room was beyond basic. Bare, cell-like and stuffy with a small window facing a wall. No frills like a tv, kettle or even air conditioning not even a fan. We attempted to shower but the lack of shower curtain meant that the whole bathroom flooded quickly. very annoying.
During the night the noise from the above and neighbouring rooms was ridiculous. It sounded like the entire hotels guests were constantly rearranging their furniture, scaping chair/ bed legs over the floor above us. Then the building work began in the morining from somewhere within the hotel with a loud banging noise! We didn't sleep a wink in the stuffy noisy room.
We complained first thing in the morning to the reception staff who were as pleasant as they could be, they put the manager onto the phone to me, I explained that I believed we had been mis-sold the room as there was no way it could be 3 star, she merely offered us a shower curtain, as for the noise she said that the room we were in was actually the quietest - well I dread to think how bad it must be in other rooms........ when I said that I wanted to leave and wanted my money back for the remaining two nights we had paid for, she said that was not possible, no way.
Rather than stay in that miserable hotel and ruin our holiday, we decided to cut our losses and move hotels. But with no refund, this really added to the cost of our trip. Very very dissappionting. would not recommend staying here.

• Stayed June 2006