“Average and expensive”

Calabona Hotel Alghero Sardegna
Ranked #17 of 49 Hotels in Alghero
“Average and expensive”
Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

Hard and uncomfortable bed and average breakfast. However, the upgraded room with sea view was nice. Could hear everything as poorly insulated rooms. One incident was really bad: bedroom door was left wide open after maids had cleaned and this was found by us when we returned in the afternoon. Expensive personal items were too big for the safe and left on full display... A complaint was made to reception but no real apology was made for exploiting our privacy. Staff in general very nice though. Hotel only 15mins from old city which is a nice walk, but 45 mins to alghero beach!! Broken glass and rubbish found on hotel beach.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Krisbeth V
Calabona, Direttore at Calabona Hotel Alghero Sardegna, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear Mr. V,

thank you for your review.

I've some difficulties to realize why you titled "expensive", but I understand that it is a personal evaluation and I respect it.

I'm very sorry for the mentioned incident. The reception staff reported that you informed them about this problem but they also said me that you was not sure if it was imputable to the chambermaid or to your wife since she wasn't with you. No news came from you after that conversation but, in the doubt, the reception advised the chambermaid to be more careful. However I'm happy to know that there weren't any negative consequences.

The occasion is good to inform all, in case of value items exceeding the measures of the room safe (which in superior rooms is big enough for notebook and more) an adjunctive deposit box may be required to the reception. In fact if the values are left out of the safe insurance coverage is not granted.

Best regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Nice hotel to see but inside in the rooms, it can be much better for this price. The swimingpool is nice also that you can eat something but really not the hotel to come back to. The breakfast is in a tent, there is no place in the hotel in the summer and not all food was from a high quality. The restaurant downstairs ... you van better walk 20 minutes to the center. The staff is kind and again from the swimingpool the view is great but that is also the best

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank robertvl
Calabona, Direttore at Calabona Hotel Alghero Sardegna, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Good morning Mr. Robert VL,

thank you for your latecomer review. You were in Hotel Calabona in July 2007 (not in September 2012 as you wrote) and in 6 years a lot of water has flowed under the bridge and many things have changed also in Hotel Calabona, thanks to the investments we make every year to improve our Hotel.

However has not changed, as highly appreciated by all the other guests for the wonderful sea view and the mediteranean garden that surrounds it, the location of our rich summer breakfast , which continues to be served in the outdoor restaurant Le Vele. That you have defined so disparaging "tent" is one of the most popular location for weddings and events in Sardinia and we are happy to make enjoy our guests of it as often as we can!

Sincerely
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed July 26, 2013

This is a very nice hotel in the lovely picturesque town of Alghero. We had what I would consider one of our most memorable holidays at this establishment. The views from the room were absolutely fantastic looking out directly to the beach front below. The staff were nice and there were a few friendly and entertaining characters working there. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone and would advise them to try book one of the rooms with the same view as the the hotels webcam. You won't regret it.
The room decor is definitely authentic and might not be up every bodies street but for me it was all part of the stay on this fantastic island
Its a bit of a walk into the town but a very scenic one along the coastline. The town is fantastic and offers huge choice of quality restaurants with sea food a specialty of many.

Room Tip: Try get one of the rooms with the same view as the hotel webcam
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BrHar
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

Booked this hotel at last minute so it was a little pricey. Rooms are sparsely furnished but clean and very traditional. Cost 30e in a taxi from Alghero airport and 9e in evenings back from town. Beach towels ( a tad worn) were 1e to rent for duration of one's stay but were better than the "tea towels" one had in the bathroom for drying after showering. Both the swimming pool and beach were great. Breakfast was a bit disappointing. Tinned fruit from a land where one should be able to attain fresh produce! 'Twas a typical continental offering. Had dinner one evening in the hotel and it was good value. Bar food mid-day was nice but expensive. It was a lovely walk into town, approx 1.5km and great for watching the sunset.

• Stayed July 2013
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We chose this hotel purely for its convenience and based on ONE detail only I would never return and never recommend this hotel.

We had driven north from Bosa on the coastal road, planning on staying in Alghero one night to visit the town and see the grotto, and then drive back south again. This hotel provided us with a convenient way to get back on the road south after visiting Alghero.

My biggest beef with this hotel and the reason I would never return are the BARKING DOGS in the house next door to the hotel. They barked ALL night long. There was no way to drown them out as our balcony was facing the house and closing the shutters didn’t help.

When I say barking—I mean an incessant barking…a near complete devotion on the part of the dogs to making as much of a racket for as long as possible. And then it would stop for a blessed 3 minutes to start all over again. I thought of going downstairs in my pajamas and either requesting a new room or crashing on the lobby couch in protest. But, honestly, the dogs were so loud and so close to the hotel that I really didn’t think it would make much of a difference—we were 2 floors up, but the dogs were right next door. Not even across a road or anything.

We were given a choice of rooms when we arrived in the afternoon—as in, we actually were taken up to see 2 different rooms. I distinctly remember hearing dogs barking from the house below one room. I jokingly commented that I hoped they didn’t bark all night. When we were asked which room we wanted, we requested the room with the 2 beds pushed together to make a double bed. At the time I didn’t realize that I had chosen our doomed fate—the barking dog room.

I mentioned the dogs at our checkout and the people at the desk feigned complete ignorance to any dog. Oh really? A dog barking? Oh, TWO dogs barking! I have never heard any…

The damn dogs were STILL barking as we walked out of the lobby to get the hotel breakfast. The barking dog house is between the breakfast area and the hotel, oddly enough. It almost looks to be PART of the hotel.

We were miserable, tired, and cranky for our drive back to Bosa. The hotel did not even offer an apology. Their feigned ignorance of the whole thing really annoyed me. I heard the people in the room upstairs from us get up several times in the night to open and re-close their window shutters, presumably padding the shutters with extra blankets and towels from the room. I hope those hotel guests gave the front desk hell.

So, if you have a barking dog that you travel with, by all means bring it with and stay at this hotel. Your pet will have a wonderful time.

Room Tip: Quieter rooms are to be found...in another hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank alyosha666
Calabona, Direttore at Calabona Hotel Alghero Sardegna, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
We are sorry to learn that your stay was spoiled due to the barking coming from the house near the hotel.

Unfortunately we had this problem for few days, limited to the rooms facing to a private house, without liability of the hotel.

Since your problem was also our problem, we taken steps to immediately make a report to the Authorities. So their were able to resolve the issue almost immediately and now, I can assure you, the dog cannot again disturb as he was given for adoption, allowing him to live in a better place according to his needs.

However, dogs and other domestic animals are welcomed in hotel Calabona, confiding in the politeness of dogs and owners.

Sorry again.
Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

The room I stayed in was in the traditional Sarda style which I liked its authentic,all the staff seem very happy in their work and are such warm welcoming people.The hotel has a great energy and a wonderful ambience, it's a nice walk to the centre of Alghero and in a very quiet location, with its own little beach which is fine.I was given great advice on trips and places to go by the guys on reception they are so knowledgeable and passionate about their country and would advise me on wines when I was visiting other cities and they will arrange cars to take you on trips,help you with whatever they can. The breakfast was wonderful somedays fresh ricotta, wonderful mortadella and fresh made croissants and amaretti and other local bits and pieces which to me was why I chose to travel to Sardinia to feel the culture and authenticity of the region,I will definitely be back here I had a perfect week and fell in love with this beautiful island and wonderful hotel.Alessandro on reception was especially helpful and a real asset to the hotel a true star.

• Stayed July 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Wonderful hotel, clean rooms, great facilities and friendly staff.

Hotel Calabona is situated about 20 minutes walk into the main town, so it is a little further out but the walk is truly beautiful, directly along the seafront promenade, plus there are some lovely little bars along the way should you feel the need to stop for refreshment.

The hotel has a fantastic big outdoor swimming pool (not heated but soon warms up in the sun) which we used every day, with sun loungers on each side (we never had any trouble getting one). Lunch, snacks and drinks are served on the terrace by the pool and there is even a cute little beach which the hotel owns just across the road.

Guests were a mixture of families with young children and older couples at the hotel - we're in our 20s and it wasn't the liveliest atmosphere but it was actually nice to have a chilled out place to stay with the bars and nightspots of beautiful Alghero providing more upbeat entertainment.

This isn't a 'boutique' design hotel, and a friend of ours from the area described the style as typically Sardinian (tiled floors, mediterranean styling), but I think this actually made it more unique and authentic, and the fact that there were a number of Italian guests there (as well as British, American and Danish) suggested the place was good value and popular.

Staff were warm and welcoming, the standard of cleanliness and upkeep was great and the breakfast and meals were very appetising (especially the Sardinian specialities menu we had one night). Added to this, our standard room was actually upgraded for no extra cost to a beautiful room with a balcony facing the pool and the sea, a lovely bonus!

Highly recommended!

Room Tip: The standard rooms are on the ground floor - we booked this as it was cheaper but the hotel actually...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple