“Best meal we had in Alghero.”
Review of The Kings

The Kings
Ranked #13 of 383 Restaurants in Alghero
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Kings restaurant is located in the enchanting atmosphere of the old town. We give you the possibility to eat in a beautiful terrace overlooking the sea, along the ramparts Marco Polo Alghero. This is our kitchen, mix of typical Alghero cuisine and traditional Mediterranean food, attention to the quality of the raw materials and only sardinian product.
Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

Fresh catch delicious fish.
Prepared with fresh herbs and veggies.
Sophisticated palated chef in typical ocean side, outdoor, gastronomically scented environment.
Fantastic manager/host/owner (?) named Massimillion who was so happy to hear we loved Sardegnia and that we were from NY, that he bought us after dinner drinks. Great fun foodie place.

papi71, Direttore at The Kings, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Thanks for the reviews. I remember you, we spoke about the Sardinian food. We spoke also about NY, so exciting. I am so happy that you enjoyed the food in our restaurant and the atmosphere with jazz music. Thank you for all your compliments. I hope to see you again in my restaurant. Best regards. Massimiliano

Write a ReviewReviews (2,074)

Reviewed October 1, 2012

I've just read some of the reviews below and think some were unlucky. We had a very nice meal on the 25th September, it wasn't particularily busy so maybe that was relevant. I had the carpaccio mentioned below and enjoyed it, our main course came in about 20mins and was a seabass to share - again very nice. The wine was also good if a little pricey-this was not what I had originally picked but something recommended by the manager and while it was about euro dearer it was very good. I know red wine but not Sardinian red wine so was willing to go along with his help. The only real down side was that several things were off the menu; the unavailability of fish as also listed in the managements replies is all very well but some meat was also not available - probably getting near the end of the season.
Don't let these minor things put you off, as I have said we had a good meal.

papi71, Direttore at The Kings, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2012

Thank you for your review. The carpaccio is made from fish of Sardinian See and it is really fresh (we buy it every morning from our fisherman friend). About the seabass, it is cooked in the hoven (under the salt), and at the end it is joined to the potatoes, tomatoes and the vernaccia (a tipical sardinian white wine). It had come after 20 minute the carpaccio, because you take the starter, infact it can take 30-35 minute. About the problem of “several things off the menu”, it do not depend from the end of the season but it depend because we try to buy only fresh fish and sometimes it is not easy to find. We prefer to say that some fish is not unavailability that buy fish that is not really fresh. About the meat, (the same) sometimes the meat from sardinia is very strong (hard) and for us it is better do not buy (the cooker is a veterinarian, and he knows very well the meat). I am very happy that you have a good meal, I hope to see you next season. Kinds regards. Massimiliano

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We can't understand that this is a high ranked TripAdvisor restaurant. Starter was OK, but not more than that. Main Dish (we chooses for Meat, because they didn't had Tuna) tool a long time to serve and was not what you expected although not bad... Wine was expensive, compared to other restaurants. Desert was not 'home made' (Tiramisu). Location is perfect, with a Sea view...

papi71, Proprietario at The Kings, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Thanks for your feedback. We are sorry that you could not have the tuna steak. We buy only fresh tuna and sometimes our beautiful sea can not provide us with tuna, for example when the sea is rough. Also we buy just enough fresh fish for one day so that we can guarantee totally fresh fish for all our customers. About the wine, we have sourced some of the best quality Sardinian wine. For the quality of the wine the price is not so high, everybody can see the wine list on our website. We are glad that you enjoyed the location, with the fantastic sea view, the beautiful sunset and the atmosphere created by the live music outside the restaurant. All the best. Massimiliano

Reviewed September 23, 2012

Having seen previous reviews on trip advisor we put this restaurant on our list and it was our first experience in Sardinia but personally we wouldn't go back as we had good meals elsewhere and there's plenty more restaurants to try. Service was slow but to be fair the owner personally apologised and deducted 10 euros off our bill for the glass of wine which did not arrive with the main course. Starters c8 euros were typically Sardinian. We chose octopus and a lovely sea bass. Mains c15 euros. The sardinian thin bread was served with everything it was even broken up in the salad and the steak was served on it which caused it to become a little soggy! We entered through the back street entrance so didn't realise how big the outdoor area is and with hindsight may have been better taking up he offer to sit outside.

Thank you for your review and for your suggestion. We are sorry that we did meet your expectations. First of all, now we understand that we have to write on the menu that we serve our dishes with the local Carasau bread. We are really proud to serve this typical bread that is unique to Sardinia. Our guests appreciate it very much. For people with a gluten free diet we serve dishes without bread, but in this case people ask us for no bread. I personally love this bread when it soaks up all the flavours of the meat or fish. We are sorry for the glass of wine we forgot... the waitress is very sorry... she is a new member of staff. We always offer the possibility to sit outside because we want our customers to enjoy the view and the atmosphere on our terrace, but sometimes the terrace can be full. Best regards. Massimiliano

Reviewed September 22, 2012

The place looked busy so we thought we would give it a go. We were asked to come back in 10 mins, we were shown to our table by very miserable looking staff. We ordered the carpaccio of fish to start and a bottle of wine which came almost immediately and was average. I ordered king prawns for my main course and my husband had the grilled sea bream, this took over an hour and 10 mins to arrive from the time we had finished our starter! We asked on several occasions how much longer we would have to wait each time they replied, the owner has gone to check. We looked around the restaurant and there were another three or four tables who were in the same boat. Not once did the manager come to our table to apologies or explain. When my prawns arrived there were two grilled prawns and a plate of pasta for €19! Not even worth the wait. When we did manage to speak to the manager(or owner, as the staff referred to him) he told us the food was freshly prepared and cooked! That was his explanation. He also very cowardly tried to blame his staff saying that he would talk have to talk to them. All the other diners who complained got the same reply, a real weasel of a guy!
We have been to some fantastic restaurants in Alghero, all with freshly prepared and cooked fish and all of them taking a fraction of the time it took in this place and with happy smiling staff.....Don't spoil your holiday.......don't go to Kings!!!

3  Thank Sue S
papi71, Proprietario at The Kings, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2012

First of all we are sorry that your did not enjoy your experience at Kings. The place is always busy because of our good food and our good service, and not the least our smiling staff. We apologize for the delate in your main course. If you have waited one hour for sure we had got a problem in the kitchen. One hour is not our standard, for example the sea bream take 25 minutes. If it delate more than 30 minutes my staff tell me and I go in the kitchen to check. I remember your table, I really went in the kitchen a lot of time to check your dishes. When there is a problem, (in a restaurant it happen, we are human), I am used to go to our guest to apologize. I never blame my staff !!! If there is a problem in my restaurant I am the only guilty in front of the guests. I try to explain that we really cooked to order, nothing is pre-cooked, we prepared and cooked all our food when our guests order it. That evening has been the worst of the kings, we are young staff and a young restaurant but we never had an evening so unlucky. I am not a “weasel” guy, but I am a honest worker, I am sure that my restaurant has a very good staff, that evening we were overloaded at all. We can make mistakes (for sure) but we make so few mistakes that for us is so easy to ask apologize so:
I am really sorry for the delate...
best regards