“Good, but will not stay here again”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of B&B Elclaca

B&B Elclaca
Ranked #68 of 260 Alghero B&B and Inns
Oslo, Norway
“Good, but will not stay here again”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I booked at this place app 2 weeks prior and only for one night, and got confirmed that I would get a room with a balcony. (My fiancé and I stayed at another B&B before this - Lloc d'or B&B, and had to stay another place the last night in Alghero as the Lloc d'or was fully booked then, unfortunately).
We came here, greeted by friendly Gabriella, but was then told that we did not get the room with the balcony because the couple who had it was staying one more night than us. This was really bad as I specifically asked for room with balcony when mailing them and I was told that I was booked for the room with the balcony. They could have mailed me and said that I unfortunately couldn´t get it after all. But I didn´t want to start arguing on this, as it was only the one night we were staying there, but still, this is not good treatment. She should at least offered a discount as I didn´t get what I booked, but she didn´t.
We entered our room, pink and all, room was ok, not big but not too small either. Looked clean. There was a small bench to put the suitcase on, which is handy. There was A/C, a closet, a fridge and a TV, but no cups or anything else. The fridge and the TV was puzzeling, as we found out that you can not have the TV and the fridge on at the same time, as there was only one power socket! I mean, really? Perhaps we overlooked something, but we did look and did not find any more than the one. So, if you need to keep anything cold, you cannot watch TV. The ensuite bathroom was big, clean, and nice. There was no other amentities in the room, not even possible to make yourself coffee or tea. The breakfast room was just outside the door, so if you want to have a long sleep in the morning that would not be possible as you will wake up to the noises from this room. There is a coffe&tea maker there, in the breakfast room, but the tea& coffee capsules are locked in a cupboard so you can´t get them. Only open during breakfast. (I hid away a coffee capsule, and the coffee cup, so I could make a coffee after breakfast before we left). The breakfast was ok. Nothing memorable. The bread was not good though, as it had an artificial taste to it. The plastic wrapped "croissant" tasted actually better than expected, but all in all the breakfast was kind of ok, but still really poor compared to the other place we stayed at first, an the fact that everything appeared to be plastic wrapped, and not daily fresh from a bakery e.g. (As it was on the other place).
And as other here mentions, the light outside in the evening is tricky to find in the dark, make sure you get them to show you exactly where to put on the lights at the gate.
The location is good, only 200 meters to walk to the airport bus close to the city centre.
Will I stay here again? No. Only if everything else is fully booked.
This is absolutely not a very bad place to stay, don´t get me wrong, it´s really nothing very bad to point at, only that the things mentioned (and having the other SUPER GREAT place we stayed at in the back of my head), I really can´t justify a better grading than this.
But that said, it´s clean and ok, I would have given it Average rating, but due to the fact that I didn´t get the room I booked, and were not notified about this, and didn´t get a discount or anything, no amentities such as a coffee maker, or cups, I can´t give better than Poor rating.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We had quite a bad experience during our 4 days stay in Alghero at this B&B. I picked it because the reviews were good (even some were already mentioning some points we noticed). Indeed in a B&B you would expect to meet the owner, have tips on where to go for diner, what to do, having a bit of conversation with the locals...Here nothing! We only met Gabriella when we arrived and never saw her again, breakfast was really bad with croissant under plastic bag and you are completely left alone :-(, no cereals, no milk, no bread and nobody to ask when something is missing...very disappointed when you know the good food of Italie. The room was really basic and not cleaned from a day to another, we had to ask for by email and even after that, she just did our bed but did not change the towels..., no glass of water in the room, no tissue, no nothing...just a bed
I would definitely NOT recommended this B&B if you expect a bit of contact with the locals and a minimum of service! Too expensive for the terrible service provided!!!

Room Tip: Don't go there!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 27, 2012

This bed and breakfast was located right in the center of Alghero, which was a very convenient location. The room and ensuite bath were large and immaculate. The staff were friendly. Breakfast was good (ham, cheese, cereal, croissants, coffee). The room had a sleek, modern air conditioner, which was great. There is no reception open all the time, and you must make an appointment to check in, which is common for Italian bed and breakfasts. You may have to climb stairs to get up to your room. The only negative thing is that the B&B was located in a nondescript gravel alley which is dark at night and you have to fumble with a key in the alley to turn on the lights. It is also hard to drag a suitcase down the gravel alley. It would be better if they could have a lower price for single accommodations, too (I was charged a double rate even though I stayed alone). Also, I was told I could only pay in cash when I got there, which was a surprise as booking.com (through which I reserved the room) did not state this. I found out later that many Italian bed an breakfasts did this, probably to avoid taxes.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo