“A friendly local restaurant”
Review of Giampa

Giampa
Ranked #126 of 1,089 Restaurants in Bari
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“A friendly local restaurant”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

My wife and I were recommended to this restaurant by our hotel when we were looking for somewhere open on a Sunday night. We were warmly welcomed and were given a mini-pizza to nibble while we studied the menu. It was excellent but we were not tempted by the extensive range of pizzas on offer but shared a delicious dish of Orechiette from their range of local specialities. The sauce was as different from the usual run of tomato sauces as you could wish, being based on the local dried beans and full of flavour.
My wife followed with Scallopine with Porcini and I had a fillet steak stuffed with mushrooms and wrapped in bacon - a signature dish - and both were delicious. When I ordered mine rare the waiter shook my hand! A half bottle of local wine rounded out a very agreeable meal.
It is always a good sign when a restaurant has mostly local clientele and we were pleased to note a large family party using the restaurant for a celebration. The place was a definite cut above a normal trattoria and much better than a mere pizzeria. One to visit if you are in the area.

• Visited May 2013