TripAdvisor
Bari
Post
Inbox
Search

“I enjoyed the food, but...”
Review of Vini e Cucina

Vini e Cucina
Ranked #738 of 1,397 Restaurants in Bari
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 12, 2019

I visited because the place was highly recommended by my Airbnb host. The menu is not printed. It will be verbally told you with a hard to understand speaking man. I was somewhat unsure of what I even ordered.

You will need to make reservations. I came alone and was squeezed in. If you want to be sure you will get a table, get a reservation. Have cash as well.

The dish that changed my life, and is why I am writing the review is the “riso al forno alla barese” It was fantastic. It's a dish of mussels, potatoes, and rice. I highly recommend it.

Don't expect this experience to be a romantic one. Just a tip for anyone that is visiting Italy for the first time, the lighting is always bright. I don't understand it, but it has been true of many places I have been to. Also, and get ready for this, no toilet seats. Why, Italy, whyyyy?

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (667)

Reviewed September 20, 2019

Incredibly overprized, lousy food, bad manners. Perfect combination to never go back to this so-called restaurant.

Date of visit: September 2019
Reviewed June 24, 2019

Basic menu is written on a small chalkboard, but owner calls out menu choices at you, not really making much allowance for non-Italian speakers. He quickly barked out 3 choices of pasta, followed by fish (again, 3 choices) or meat. I felt almost 'bullied' into making a quick decision as he stands at the table repeating the same choices without giving more details. I speak some Italian so I understood, but had to translate for the American couple at the next table. Waiter will bring out plates of antipasti (4 euros according to the blackboard) which I sent back as I did not order them. Food was good - pasta with seafood was delicious and the grilled prawns were fine. Bill, including a bottle of water, was 18 euros.

Date of visit: June 2019
Reviewed June 17, 2019

I have read the reviews, good and bad, and I will try to put my spin on some of the positive and negative points that others have made. Four of us came here due to a recommendation in a guidebook. We really didn't know what to expect. It is in a below-street level space. It is very rustic--rough tables and chairs with yes, paper tablecloths in a bright green and blue plaid. There was a menu--very basic, on a chalkboard, with the price of each course listed. The owner / waiter spoke very little English and gave us a basic choice: Pasta with meat, seafood, vegetables; Main course of octopus, fish, sausage. We made our choices. The antipasto dish came out, unordered. I suppose we could have sent it back, we realized we were getting it despite not having ordered it, but in for a penny in for a pound--we decided just to go for it and embrace the experience. The portions were not small, and the food was some of the best we had during our trip. Between the four of us I think we tried all of the choices. My pasta, huge tubes with seafood (prawn) was just delicious beyond belief. The folks who had the octopus said it was the best one they'd had on the trip.
The dinner was authentic, hearty, and made with soul. The wine was fine, the strawberries were a welcome bit of freshness after a heavy meal, and we had no complaints. I did not find the staff gruff or unfriendly; as a matter of fact they laughed with us when we spilled a full glass of red wine and needed a paper tablecloth re-set. I would go back if I had the opportunity. It was definitely a unique experience but perhaps not for everyone--but it was great for my friends, daughter and me!

Date of visit: May 2019
Reviewed June 11, 2019

The food was ok but the owner misguides you to order more, implying that the place works on the basis of the set menu. We ordered a primo and secondo piato, but we were served two extra dishes we had not ordered, and we thought that they were offered by the restaurant (antipasto and fruits). In fact, the fruits were actually served after we asked for the bill. We also ordered a bottle of mineral water and a Coke Zero. We paid 50€, which came as a surprise, particularly since, this restaurant is suggested by the Lonely Planet, according to which this is a low price restaurant. I would definitely wouldn’t recommend it, I wouldn’t return to this place. I find the way they work quite unethical. I can see from the reviews below that several other people had the same experience.

Date of visit: June 2019