“Local character(s) and great pizza”
Review of Da Vittorio

Da Vittorio
Ranked #21 of 503 Restaurants in Vicenza
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We ate at Da Vittorio twice while staying at Bob & Jenny's B&B in Vicenza during August 2012. Whilst it is a small pizzeria, there was plenty of atmosphere, including posters and murals of film stars of the past. Locals congregated outside and were greeted with gusto - particularly small children. The pizzas were great - fresh, well cooked - and heart shaped each time! It was a slight challenge to find some wine for us, but it came, it was more than adequate. The next time we ate there, the wine was at our table in an instant. Max and Guiseppe were very friendly and full of fun. Like others we were offered limoncello or grappa after we had paid. At around 10E per person including our drinks we felt that Da Vittorio offered great value and a friendly, entertaining atmosphere.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

So good we ate there twice in three days. The kids loved it and we would have eaten there a third time but it was closed on the Tuesday we visited. All pizzas are less than 10E. Great cosy atmosphere, the service was entertaining as well as friendly and the pizzas were tasty. We were offered Grappa after the meal, we weren't rushed out and a tip was refused. Excellent Value.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

Really nice place with a huge menu. Busy with locals. great fresh buffala mozz and loved the tomato sauce.

Affordable and delicious.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

Positive: quality of pizzas, real handmade pizzas with fresh ingredients, they made the pizzas in front of you, nice staff, price (10€/person: 1 pizza, 1 drink, 1 expresso)
Negative: small place (we ate near another guy)
NOTE: this is a nice and small PIZZA restaurant, if you are looking for other things, don't go there.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

I sought this place out based on the reviews here. I was not impressed. Good news up front, wonderful-1940s-50s-small-Italian-Pizzeria atmosphere. It's very small which enhances a nice intimate feel. End of the good news. Considering a very small place was less than half full It took a bit too long to get my initial service, and then it seemed to take a good deal too long after that to bring me my water and wine. Apparently in this pizzeria BEER is customary and it required a minor expedition to find my red wine, no choices were offered, no list, no "carafe" house-wine, I got a small 2 glass bottle, (4 euros). On the plus side it was decent red wine. The waiter seemed to be in a hurry (while at my table anyway) and the fact that I didn't speak Italian apparently wasn't worth slowing down for. Next came the English Tourist menu, typically not a good sign in my experience, but no points off just for that. Points off because the English was just a long all strung together hard to read list, with NO prices. Fortunately I understand enough Italian, to be able to use one of the Italian menus to figure out how much what would cost. (except water-wine and the "table"). Here's why I say don't go on a Friday. My first choice, "no, out of that", my SECOND choice, again. Not that, out of that too.... So a bit vexed, went ahead and ordered the Pizza they had the name of the Pizzeria on, without paying any attention to what was on it, figuring I'd be adventurous and since it had the name of the pizzeria on it surely had to be great. Turns out this was a no-cheese, mostly eggplant-rucola, pizza. (Even though the English "menu" listed "grana cheese" as being on) it. When I ordered the waiter said, "no cheese?" I said, yes, cheese, this went around a couple times before I realized he was at first TELLING ME there was no cheese on this pizza before ultimately asking me if I wanted cheese. Later I would point out to him that the Italian menu was not consistent with the description of the same item on the ENGLISH menu. The was no cheese on it on the Italian menu. OK, now this was one of those Pizzas where only the crust and the sauce went in the oven, everything else on it gets tossed on AFTER the pizza comes out of the oven, (which is the only way you can do the rucola), but typically this is only done with other ingredients which are light and/or THIN enough to heat up very quickly and thoroughly. The thick slabs of marinated eggplant didn't qualify IMO. Several of my first few bites actually encountered COLD spots in the middle of the eggplant chunks. Speaking of CHUNKS, remember the cheese I almost had to argue to get? I came in the form of several large, cold, jagged chunks of mozzarella, obviously tossed on, after it came out of the oven. The way the cheese was done, I figured either the cook was punishing me for screwing with his creation, or he'd simply forgotten and used the chunks to make it look more like it was supposed to be that way vs if he had used the shredded pizza-mozzarella it might have seemed more obvious if the cheese wasn't melted, that he'd just forgotten to put it on.... ALL IN ALL I got the feeling they were assuming I was 1-time tourist they would never see again. Opps. I, in fact, live here and will be visiting many of the restaurants in the Tripadvisor Vicenza top 20. I will probably give them another chance at some point, since this one is the closest of the top 20 to where I live. AND 3 stars is all-in-all, giving them the benefit of the doubt, that part of the problem was my own fault for ordering something I just didn't like very much. Of course if they hadn't been unable to serve me either my FIRST OR second choice, in the first place..... well, say no more....