“Best for budget-minded, or for quick train access”
Review of Hotel Piccolo

Hotel Piccolo
Ranked #31 of 77 Hotels in Verona
Reviewed November 8, 2011

In you fit into one of the following two conditions, this hotel is great for you: 1) Your primary focus is budget, and you are willing to walk a bit further to the sights. 2) You are using Verona as a stopover/day-trip point and need an affordable place close to the train station. Both of those conditions fit us on our recent two-night stay.

The room was certainly not tiny, but it was the smallest of our travels through Italy. The style inside was very functional (If you are familiar with the IBIS chain, it's sort of like that) though the work table was so close to the foot of the bed, I couldn't actually pull the chair out to sit down. There was a narrow, high window in the corner, otherwise it was slightly on the dark side and several of the light bulbs were out.

Breakfast is exceptional!!! Some of the items included: cereals, fruit mix, bread, cake, pannetone, meats and cheeses, hard-boiled eggs, yogurts, juices...there was an auto espresso (coffee drink) machine for self-service or you can pay the staff to make you a real one.

The staff, especially both men at the front desk, seemed more professional than...friendly (if that makes sense). The in-room WIFI was slow-average though it didn't drop the connection. WIFI costs $5 per day (per computer) though the front desk told me the password would work on both computers as long as they weren't on at the same time. That didn't work on day 1. On day 2, we purchased another 24-hour password, and then I put the first (now expired) password into our 2nd computer and it worked (??). Also, the man at the front desk told us that rooms do not have WIFI, and we would have to use the lobby. That is obviously incorrect.

I felt the bed was extremely hard, though my wife disagrees...let's at least say it is definitely firmer, rather than softer.

There are no restaurants nearby (except for the occasional bar here and there). I wandered for food one night (with my GPS) and eventually made it to a grocery store 1 mile away, where I bought food. There is a shuttle to their partner restaurant, otherwise it is roughly a 15+ minute walk to the nearest restaurants which are in the Castelvecchio area .

I believe there is a fitness room/gym, but I didn't use it because the door was locked and a sign said to check at the front desk for access (though the front desk is in the Hotel Martini, next door).

The location is very close to the train station, though I found the directions given on the hotel's website to be incomplete. Google maps was more helpful. It took less than 10 minutes to go from train tracks to the hotel...very convenient. It was also in a very quiet area (though there is some construction going on down the street).

My goal is to give a thorough review, not to make a list of complaints. Overall, I would certainly consider this hotel again, given the affordable price relative to others closer to the old town. And if you want to be near the train station,this is a no-brainer.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank uclabobby

Reviewed October 19, 2011

I was staying at Piccolo hotel with my partner for two nights at the beginning of October 2011. The hotel was very close to the train station, but a little far from the centre of the city, although still a walking distance. The concierge downstairs wasn't the friendliest guy. The hotel was clean and the breakfast had a good selection, including fruit (you had to get there early to catch them, though). The internet wasn't included and it cost 1 Euro for half an hour of use. The hotel offers a free shuttle to and from a restaurant in one of their other hotels in the evenings, about a 10 minute drive away; if you choose that option, you can use free internet for half an hour during/after dinner at that hotel.

A cautionary tale: On the day we were leaving, we asked the concierge to call us a cab to take us to the station as it was raining. While the concierge was waiting for the taxi to respond, we realized it is taking too long and told him we decided to walk to the station after all, to which he responded that we now must wait. Apparently, if he hangs up after dialing the taxi, the hotel is charged (or so he said). We explained that we might be late for the train and lose our pre-paid tickets, but he insisted we must wait. So beware!

Overall, we felt it was a decent, reasonably priced place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2011

This hotel is well situated for the train and bus stations and by purchasing a Verona card (available at the Hotel) there is unlimited use of local buses and free entry to most of the major attractions. The location was quiet, rooms were well equipped and clean and breakfast was adequate. Altogether good value for money.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 15, 2011

Fine hotel, very clean but rather far from the area (app. 20 min. walk) and there is nothing in the area surrounding the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 14, 2011

This hotel is reasonably close to the station, but unfortunately further from the centre than we had realized. It is close enough to walk to the centre, but too far away to go back and forth whenever you want to use the hotel's facilities. If I were to go again, I'd probably pick a hotel closer to the centre.

Rooms are pretty small, although I guess that comes with the class of hotel. The bathroom is very good and everything was very clean.

The breakfast was nice.

We were disappointed by being denied an early check-in, although we were only an hour early. We also got a twin bed although we would have preferred a double.

The hotel is surprisingly hard to find from the Porta Nuava station because many street name signs are missing. Make sure you have a good map.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank evdk
Reviewed September 1, 2011

I don't know what people are complaining about in previous reviews. I have travelled widely in Europe and you get what you pay for. This is a good 3* star hotel and I feel that the previous reviewers were expecting a much higher standard at a 3* price! We found this hotel very comfortable, rooms were on the small side but adequate, clean with a very good bathroom, the reception staff were very pleasant and helpful as were the rest of the staff in the hotel. Breakfast was as good as the one we got in a 4* star hotel in the centre of Verona when we returned a week later. There were no restaurants in the area but the hotel was situated 5 minutes from the station and you could get a bus for 1 Euro into the Arena in the centre of Verona where you had a huge selection of restaurants to choose from. We felt that this hotel was value for money.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel
2  Thank Scotskye
Japax, Proprietario at Hotel Piccolo, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2011

Kind Guest,
I really want to thank you so much for your good review!
We always try to do our best to satisfy every single guest of our hotel, and it very very rewarding to know that sometimes we reach our target!

Reviewed August 5, 2011

This hotel was the worst experience ever!!! First of all, I’ve booked it over HRS as I always do and it never happened to me that a hotel, that is not a hot deal, blocks the entire amount of money on my credit card for the whole duration of stay more than 2 weeks prior to stay. It was 130 EUR for 1 night for 2 double rooms. Of course, you don’t get any interest for that money. But that was only the beginning: As we came, the man working at the reception was very uninterested at his work. He wasn’t helpful at all and he didn’t smile once. The door of one room was jammed and it couldn’t be opened without a strong push. The ventilator in the bathroom was very loud. It was fixed later, but still… The worst was yet to come: On the morning when we came to the reception to check – out, the same man was at the counter. He was even more unpleasant. He asked me to give him my credit card in order to charge it. I told him that he can take now the money that the hotel already blocked more than 2 weeks ago and that I should only sign the authorization. He went mad. He was rude and told me and my friend to be quite. After 25 minutes of him trying to find the receipt or whatever, after I’ve refused to give him my credit card, he gave me the receipt to sign. I’ve told him that he should apologize at least for wasting our time, but he said that I should be one apologizing. For what?! I will never ever again stay in this hotel and I don’t recommend it to anyone. Please, void it! It is not so near to the center, not that clean, not cheap and the staff is rude, rude, rude!!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Japax, Proprietario at Hotel Piccolo, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2011

Dear Guest

We haven't charged the amount of the reservation before your arriving.
We ALWAYS with ALL our guest do a bank operation which is called PRE AUTHORIZATION: it means that we do a virtual blocking of the amount of the first night of your reservation directly on your bank account. It means that the room is not paid, you have to pay before leaving.
We have tried to explain you this thing patiently more and more times, but, when you don't want to understand cause you're angry and impatient, it is impossible for us to let you know.
Next time book directly to have all the right informations about the reservation of your hotel.