“If you choose B&B Carmen, don’t change the building.”
Review of B&B Carmen

B&B Carmen
Ranked #345 of 430 Verona B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I booked one night in B&B Carmen from Hotels.com for 85EUR per room with shared bathroom. When we come in B&B Carmen on Corso Porta Nuova I saw a clean and pleasant apartment with air conditioner, the owner tell as different price (up, of course) and city tax 5 EUR per each. But we must go to another building, because it is closer to Arena di Verona – OK! I expected similar room. But I was disappointed – the room was dark, small, with old furniture, without air conditioner and broken little table. Bathroom was renovated with good size. There is no normal table for breakfast, no chairs… In the kitchen corner was water machine, coffee machine, bread and tasty product for self-serving breakfast and some fruits.
If you choose B&B Carmen, don’t change the building.

Room Tip: If you choose B&B Carmen, don’t change the building.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lideto A

Reviewed September 1, 2013

We honeymooned in italy starting in salo on lake garda and ending it in verona and venice.. looking forawrd to staying in a B&B after staying in a gorgeous apartment we were more than disappointed. Check in was from2pm-8pm so when we arrived at 2pm and no one was even at the B&B we were miffed and stressed out, went for lunch carrying heavy bags then arrived back to find lots of people waiting outside not being able to get in or get in touch with the owners. I asked someone else entering the building where they were and they finally got in touch with the owners daughter who arrived 5 minutes later.. at about 4pm. She proceeded to tell us if we wanted to leave our bags we had to leave our passports with them and come back later when her mum came back to check us in properly. Eventually her mum came to meet us at 5pm and we were told there wasnt a room for us? we called booking.com who we made our booking with and they must have called carmen as it was quickly resolved after that.

There was no apology just laughter amongst her and her daughter and rolling of their eyes like the 11+ guests were being unreasonable for being messed around. They even made one of the guests translate for them as they only spoke italian.

The room when we finally went in was perfectly fine and clean and as shown in the images although it was a shared bathroom and there was no fan/air conditioning.

The 'breakfast' consisted of individually packeted supermarket croissants, biscuits, UHT milk, some yogurts and salami and 1 capsule for the coffee machine each for a 2 night stay. The kitchen room needed cleaning too.

The service was rude and abrupt which i felt disappointing for 244 euros for a two night stay.

DONT STAY HERE - they may not have a room for you even if you book and they waste your time.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Helen E
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We were in Verona August 3 to attend Aida at the Arena. We stayed at Hotel Siena the last time in Verona, but it was full. I found B&B Carmen and several others on the Google map of Verona. Most of the others were booked or didn't answer. I read some of the the reviews posted here and wasn't expecting much, but we only needed a bed for one night (the opera runs until nearly 1 AM) and a shower. The number listed for B&B Carmen didn't answer either, but I found a cell number and she answered that. We booked the room by phone. She did accept my credit card, contrary to a review here. When we arrived at 93A Corso Porta Nuova, there was only a telephone keypad with B&B Carmen written above it, no door buzzer. I called on my cell phone, she answered and said that she, and I assume her name was Carmen, would be down immediately. She drove us to another building on Via Tezone that mostly houses lawyers' offices, and is much closer to the Arena, so I can't respond to the reviews of the accommodations on Corso Porta Nuova. She escorted us to the third floor where there were about four rooms with a common bath and kitchen. My wife is Italian, so language was not a problem, although she answered a couple of cell calls while she was with us and spoke reasonable English. The room was large and clean, the bed was comfortable. We were given four keys: to the portone, (door to the street), the elevator, the hallway to the rooms and a key to our room. The bathroom had a shower and sink and we didn't have to wait for it although every room was occupied. She showed us the kitchen and I agree that the breakfast rolls were packaged in cellophane, but there was sliced bread and several meats in the fridge for sandwiches, milk, juice, some fresh peaches and two kinds of cold cereal. At most places where breakfast is included, someone brings your choice of drink, coffee, tea, cappuccino or juice. The coffee here was do it yourself, although she showed me how to use the one cup at a time machine, but it wasn't very good. The packaged pastries were not fresh, but they were tasty. It was an incredibly hot day, but we had no trouble sleeping at night and I never heard the noises that others complained about. The room was €90 plus a €5 tax, not unexpected during high season and on a night when the Arena stages a very popular opera. She cancelled the credit card charge and we paid in cash. My wife complained that we did not get a receipt, but I don't see that as a problem. The biggest problem that I saw, was how to get in at 93A Corso Porta Nuova. There was just a telephone keypad, so I would keep both phone numbers with you when you arrive. Overall, it was a pleasant stay and I would recommend it for anyone planning to see a production at the Arena. It is a pretty long walk from the station, but there are a number of buses from the station that stop just a block away on Stradone Scipione Maffei.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 21, 2013

In seeing some of the other reviews, I am sort of confused by the negative experiences and I can only chalk it up to perception is reality. In my case, reality was EPIC! From the moment we walked in the door, we got amazing service including being sent to a wonderful restaurant in which we were treated like royalty (coincidentally it was located next to the castle in the city lol) because of being referred by Carmen. All I can say is I would HAPPILY stay there or suggest it to any of my friends to stay there anytime!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Be carful with the pictures online there are actually 2 places she has rooms, the first looked ok but she was full there so despite booking a specific room she took us to another place (I think it was her apartment) which was dark, dingy and poorly decorated. Along our trip we met some hosts whose English was not great but the lady here made NO effort to communicate with us and if we asked a question she simply ignored us or said she didn't understand. Despite booking a room with air con we were given a room without even a fan - and in 30 degrees it was impossible to sleep!! She did eventually bring us a fan but I had to write a letter in Italian using the Internet to say how unhappy i was with the service. Breakfast was self service and very basic no fresh pastries or fruit just packets of biscuits and stuff! I would NEVER stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lilliecable2
Reviewed July 9, 2013

My girlfriend and I have stayed all over Italy in the last 2 weeks and this is by far the worst! We arrived at the address and checked in. The owner neglectted to inform us she spoke no English. Normally this would be okay until the problems started. She told us we weren't staying there but at another building so she crammed us into the back of her Lupo and drove us to the "asylum". The decor is dated and looks to have been done by her grandmother the corridors has aircon but our room doesn't(even though this was paid for). We are in Verona so we are going to the opera tonight but as there is also no hot water we will not be showering. When we complained she didn't understand! She thought we couldnt use the kettle! Final night of 2 week stay MASSIVE disappointment.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed June 17, 2013

After looking at pictures of this place we decided it would be nice to spend our honeymoon. I wish we would have known about this website. We got there and were shocked to find that this "b&b" is just a remodeled apartment with only 6 rooms. There is one bathroom for three rooms. We shared the bathroom with 4 other people. The staff was rude and impatient and only the owner spoke broken English. The room itself was comfortable and the location was nice. That is the only reason I gave this place 2 instead of 1.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple