“Dante and Cicero”

47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 91 helpful votes
“Dante and Cicero”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

An impressive collection of books, manuscrpits etc, at one of the world's oldest libraries. I liked the smell of old leather and paper. Staff were helpful, and knowledgeable. Awesome to have seen Dante's Divine Comedy. Makes one sit and think of today's world of Kindle and IPads.

Visited July 2012
4 Thank TravelDocKleen11

Detroit, Michigan
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Very Unique Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

This is not on the usual tourist circuit, and I am afraid if I write too glowing of a review it might end up there! I went initially to find a copy of a print that is in the apartment I am renting here, but found so much more! This is a beautiful, grand, very old library that was once a scriptorium dating back to 700ad. It was bombed in World War II and has been completely restored. The charming little old Italian lady works (?) there started giving me a full tour and was eager to share the history with me. She filled the language gaps with pictures to help connect the dots. One of the things she showed me was a manuscript of a truly ancient "Padre Nostro" or "Our Father" and pointed out how it was written in gold so the text is still visible. It is an amazingly interesting place that I would like to learn more about.

Visited September 2012