“good location, great people”
Review of Hotel Mastino

Hotel Mastino
Ranked #36 of 77 Hotels in Verona
Reviewed July 1, 2009

2nd visit to the Mastino, this time stayed in their apartments; wonderful spot next to the river yet only a 2 minute walk to the Arena.
Friendly staff could not do enough to help us from the moment we arrived until we checked out - we plan to return again.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hotel Mastino

Reviewed June 20, 2009

Hotel Mastino was a very good hotel and a great location. It is a short walk from the Arena and shopping. They had a very good breakfast and the staff was very helpful and spoke English. We purchased the indoor parking for $15 a day. The garage and entrance to the hotel was around the corner from the main building down a small street or alley. The garage was a pain to get in and out but it was right across the street from our hotel entrance. The room and bathroom were both very acceptable and we had many TV stations to catch CNN or the BBC. They were generous with the shampoos and soaps in the bathroom that is not so common in Italy. The bathroom also had a built-in hair dryer. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2009
Reviewed May 10, 2009

quiet rooms in the very neighbourhood of historical aera, very generous breakfast, classical and clean accommodation

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 27, 2009

I had a very pleasant stay dispite the fact that ....... I had lost my passport, travel documents and wallet on a flight to Milan , I was booked on a cruise leaving Venice in 4 days time the Australian Embassy in Milan was closed for Easter . The manager was very understanding and organised for me to extend my stay till the Tuesday when I could take the train back to Milan. Having been forced to travel solo I was very pleased to feel so secure in this little haven I even recived room service of a half bottle of wine (only 4 euros) to clam my gangled nerves.. good location for the sites and cafesof Verona and walkable from the station but bus at door if you have luggage .

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed April 14, 2009

We walked the 10 minute journey from the Train Station and were greeted by friendly staff and a porter who was very helpful. On check-in we were taken across to our room in an annexe just across the road. It was clean and roomy and had all the required facilites including safety deposit box. We had no noise problems at all. The location could not have been better, not even 50 yards to the main piazza where the Arena is located. Very easy for popping back from any point of the city. We caught a train to Lake Garda which was only 20 minutes away (be careful of train times as we caught the 09;30 because the next one wasn't until 12:30) Again an easy walk to the station from the hotel. Breakfast was the usual Continental with bread, cheese and ham and there was plenty to choose from. Staff are a bit slow to clear tables though. We found a FANTASTIC resturant just around the corner. Honestly the best food I've had in my 12 recent visits to Italy. It was called Osteria Casa Vino on Vicolo Morette. Home cooking done to perfection. A wonderful relaxing trip.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 21, 2009

I arrived in Verona by train and walked to the hotel. Its not too far and pretty much straight ahead when you exit the station. The hotel is right next door to a McDonalds, in a very busy and bustling area. It is quite noisy here as Corso Porta Nuova is a main road. I was checked in by a very friendly lady, with whom I spoke to on many occasions (albeit in Italian) and I found her to be pleasant.

My room (double) was in the main building. A very nicely decorated room, with LCD tv on the wall, parquet flooring, good lighting, the room had a modern feel to it. I would like to add that the parquet flooring makes the room look nice but quiet early in the morning, I could hear the guests upstairs walking around, its so noisy. There's also a mini bar/fridge in the room - I don't recommend it as there is a PAM (supermarket) around the corner - Via dei Mutilati (in front of Teatro Filarmonico), MUCH cheaper. With the windows shut, you could still here the noise from the street, although it was a huge difference from having the windows open. As I went in January, open windows weren't necessary! The bathroom too, was very nice - all the usuals - shower cubicle, sink, toilet, bidet. The only negative was that the water took ages to drain away in the shower cubicle.

I thought the breakfast was very good. A huge amount of food to choose from - cereals, yoghurts, breads, pastries, cakes and lots of different types of coffee (although from a machine).

The location of the hotel is great, central, easy to find in the evening and short distance from the main attractions in Verona. I do recommend this hotel, try to ensure that you stay in the main building and not the other buildings run by this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed September 17, 2008

This hotel is perfectly situated right by the main square. Unfortunately that is about it when regarding positive sides of this hotel.

The hotelstaff was not helpful, especially the manager has a lack of communication skills.

Our room is small, the bathroom had a terrible smell, and it was a lot of noise from the street (the aircondition did not work...).

The breakfast was everything but impressive.

So to conclude: I do not reccomend this hotel, even if it has a great location.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends