“Our stay turned out GREAT after a rocky start”
Review of La Grotta Hotel

La Grotta Hotel
Ranked #21 of 77 Hotels in Verona
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Our group of three couples had reservations for one night at La Grotta, as we made our way from Venice to Lake Como. We had reserved in April for the stay in late September and no credit card was required to reserve. Prior to leaving the US, I emailed the hotel to re-confirm our reservation two or three times and each time there was an automated reply stating that someone from the hotel would contact me soon. No one ever did contact me. Meanwhile, another person on Trip Advisor posted that he also was getting no response to his request to reconfirm. Panic was beginning to take over as the night of our stay was a very busy one in Verona, with a trade fair and an opera on ice. In other words, it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to find three rooms for our group.

While in Venice I contacted the hotel via telephone and spoke to Sylvia who was very pleasant and very helpful. She reassured me that she had three rooms for us, although they would be at a second property which was about 3 km away from the main property. She said the second property was newer and more modern than La Grotta. I was relieved we had rooms, but was still a little concerned.

By the time we arrived at the hotel, Sylvia was able to accommodate us in the property we had originally booked and we were VERY pleased with the stay.The rooms were spacious, modern, very comfortable and quiet. The modern bathroom was the largest of all in our 9 hotels during our trip. The breakfast was wonderful with a nice selection of cereals, breads, yogurt, eggs and a great cup of cappuccino. There was a strawberry cheese breakfast torte that I talked about for days! We chose to sit outside on the patio although the inside area was very nice as well.

We drove into Verona for dinner at the Torcolo Hotel Restaurant and to explore the old town, parking in a large garage near the city center. Leaving Verona on our way to Lake Como, we stopped at Desenzano en Garda and took a ferry to spend some time in Sirmione, a lovely seaside town.

Sylvia and her brother Nicola were very helpful in giving directions to drive to town and directions to Desenzano. They both speak very good English and Sylvia's calm, patient manner in reassuring me prior to our stay via telephone was much appreciated. She instilled confidence when I was feeling a bit concerned.

I would recommend La Grotta if you prefer to stay outside the city center or if no accommodations in the city are available. The hotel provides good value for modern, comfortable rooms. The service rating was affected by the lack of response to emails but balanced by the excellent service afterwards.

Room Tip: The three rooms we had were spacious and quiet and each was located facing a different direction. No...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travelmuse1
There are newer reviews for La Grotta Hotel

Reviewed October 17, 2013

This is a very basic hotel. Nothing fancy here. The room was very clean. Great value. It is a little ways out of the city. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The breakfast was very good. It is very convenient to Lake Garda. Free internet.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CDR_ORION
Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

We stay at La Grotta for one night. Very friendly staff, nice room with free mini bar that had water and software drinks. The hotel is not in the city center but a quick bus drive or taxi. The breakfast is fantastic.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 6, 2013

In April I booked a room for a night in late September and received an email reservation confirmation. The hotel does not have online booking. The rate of Euro 80 I was quoted was very reasonable because there is a large convention in Verona at the time of our arrival. The hotel did not want a credit card number to hold the reservation, which was surprising. At the beginning of September I sent the hotel over 6 emails and a fax requesting that they reconfirm my reservation by email. They have not replied at all. I can only conclude that someone at the hotel made a mistake and that the hotel is refusing to honor my reservation.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank AndoverDan
Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

The la grotta hotel is a nice decorated hotel, if you don't have a car it will be quite difficult since center is pretty far away, however if you have a car, the value for money is great.
Classic hotel for one nighters who proceed to Lake garda.
Breakfast was average

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Thought the hotel was very good. Reception, rooms, wifi, breakfast etc were all excellent. Nice outside spaces for breakfast and having an evening drink. Rooms were nicely furnished, including minibar and the bathrooms large and very clean. Parking was plentiful. The only downside is the distance from town. It is a 15-16 euro cab ride so if you are doing that three or four times a day it can get very expensive. No complaints but I would try and find a more centrally located hotel next time.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 23, 2013

The hotel is not a typical bland large-chain hotel. It is modern, well-equipped and comfortable, and it has a bit more character than most.

Pros:
- Easy to reach from the motorway
- Modern, stylishly-decorated room
- Friendly staff
- Nice outdoor areas to relax
- Free soft drinks from the minibar!

Neutral:
- Breakfast was fine, but nothing special

Cons:
- Wi-fi seemed a bit flakey during our stay
- No obvious way to get into central Verona on public transport
- Not a lot of dining options nearby
- Small-ish room
- Slight lack of attention in the room preparation (there was a hand-towel on the headboard of the bed when we arrived)

The cons are all minor and I would wholeheartedly recommend the hotel to people with their own cars/bikes.

p.s. I think we unwittingly got caught (on automatic camera) driving in central Verona's limited traffic zone (ZTL) so I fear we are going to be getting a fine in the post from the Italian police - do your research before you drive in/around any Italian town!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple