“Don't stay here if you want to eat in the restaurant at night!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Maxim Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Maxim Hotel
Ranked #51 of 79 Hotels in Verona
London, United Kingdom
“Don't stay here if you want to eat in the restaurant at night!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2012

We arrived at the Maxim at 7.30 pm on the 22nd of December and asked if we could eat that night in their restaurant - we were told it was closed. We had booked the hotel from the 22nd until the 29th of December and at no time had they indicated that the restaurant would be shut at nights. It was shut EVERY night which caused us a lot more expense on the holiday. They gave us a very out of scale hand drawn map indicating where 3 places to eat were. Eventually stopping at a small bar we were sent off in the right direction!

The hotel is also a long away from the centre of Verona, but luckily there are frequent buses. The rooms were a good size, but cleaning/replenishing toiletries/tea/coffee etc was haphazard. Breakfast and the morning staff were excellent, as was Luigi the barman. Most of the reception staff were helpful, but when we telephoned from England to arrange a shuttle bus from the airport on the 22nd we were told that this had been discontinued - a fact not shown on their website. Guess what - we able to book this discontinued service back to the airport on the 29th!
This hotel could do so much more - a lot of websites show this as a Best Western hotel but it isn't - and that branding makes people expect a lot more.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Uchaud, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

Not sure if it was just because we were out of season, but it was an excellent price and good value for money. It is difficult to find a reliable hotel, good value and supplying all your needs whilst being close to the amenities. It was enjoyable and comfortable. Internet was not free, but at the price, I was not surprised. For a business trip, this more than met our requirements.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Guckster
Kuwait
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2011

A large hotel with free indoor parking, large room with a large bathroom, clean and comfortable. Internet is not free, and the rate was expensive. The bed covers were a bit outdated which made the room look oudated. No English movie or Arabic news channels on the TV. Reception staff were pleasant and helpful, and breakfast buffet was ok. But then again the reason we stayed there is because of the attractive rate.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MansourQabandi
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2011

I found this to be a typical tourist transit hotel - full of coach tours and completely lacking in soul.

The staff are not rude, but they do the minimum they can to help. I'm sure if you asked them a specific quesiton they'd come up with an answer, but they're certainly not forthcoming with helpful information to help you get the most out of your stay in Verona!

As far as the rooms are concerned - picture late 80's motel style, and you'll have a pretty good idea of what they're like.

The Hotel is 2kms out of town - and certainly not the most pleasant 2kms to walk through. Take the bus.

The free parking is a plus - in a place where plusses are few and far between. The breakfast is typical of mass tourist places - and the restaurant can't cope with the number of people the hotel can fit - so it can mean waiting around in the lobby until there is space available for you.

So my experience of the Maxim wasn't really negative - it just lacked positives!

It's the only place I've ever stayed in Verona (this was my first visit), so I have no real idea how it compares with others in the area - but I'm certain that next time I visit this remarkable city, I'll be trying somewhere else.

Room Tip: At the time of writing, Maxim was rated #36 of 105 hotels in Verona. My tip is 'see what's a...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Sao Paulo, SP
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2011

When I arrive I was informed there was nobody available to drive the shuttle. Since I had scheduled before, they asked the maintenance guy to pick me and my mom up at the station. ( the guy was Fantastic BTW).

I had to buy internet cards. The afternoon girl says there is only 30 mins or 90 mns cards. The second night I had to buy more and the gentleman at the reception says I can only buy the 30 mins to use in the room. I decide not to argue and bought it. Then the last night comes and I need again. JUST NOW I am offered a 24 hour card!!! That is just ridiculous! After I spend like 40 euros, you tell me I can have 24hrs internet! that is an absurd! I bought the card anyways. I used 6 hours in the previous day which means I had 18 hours left right?? NOOOOO because the "card"I bought was a photocopy, so I am sure it must have been sold to other guests. When I tried to use again there was no time remaining!!!! Who used my hours???

to top everything I woke up ans asked for the shuttle. The guys says there is no one available, but since I had it included in my booking he said it ws ok. When I get down with my bags the other guys says there is no shuttle and I had to pay a cab. To sum up I 've been stolen twice!! The cards and the shuttle. AND NO ONE OFFERED ANY SOLUTION, all I heard was I AM SORRY.

I travel A LOT. I MUST SAY this is one of the poorest services I have ever had. I will never recommend the hotel and I will make sure my friends will never stay there.

Room Tip: Make sure you find someone frienddly to help you. The hotel looks good, but the service is terrible...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Ericapm25

Travelers are raving about these Verona hotels

Suffolk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2011

Maxim is an average business hotel with no character at all. It is staffed by people who clearly just earn a wage and have no interest in giving real service; they just do their job.

On the positive side, the rooms are mostly good.... except for the broken floor tiles in our bathroom; not nice. The free car park is a bonus and it was a very fair price for Verona. Bus nearby at 1.5 euro to the city centre and about 10 euro for a cab back. A day parking in Verona centre is a lot more than that.

As a place to sleep in a good bed, eat a good breakfast and park your car, it is fine. But do not expect an "experience".

Room Tip: Check the room before accepting it!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Nieuwerkerk aan den Ijssel, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2011

The Hotel Maxim is not the cheapest of the three and four star hotels in Verona, but it has free (guarded) parking, a supermarket just round the corner in the same building and is at walking distance from the city center (about two kilometers). Alternatively, there are busses to and from the city center. We have no experience with the (available, payable) shuttlebus to the Arena, and didn't need one as a walk after sitting down for four hours is quite nice, in any case.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends